• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC waits for over a year in Ma?

Has the FRB ever been caught lying about the status of an application?

Because various and sundry town police departments
lie all the time about it being stuck in the FRB
when they haven't even submitted it yet,
or they're sitting on the license;
lie without blinking an eye.

(As we see from subsequent war stories).

I blame Marsha.
Yes, I know you live in FL.
I was clearer in my second post. If OP's friend is a first time applicant who has simply dropped off the form, then FRB will be of no help. Since (a far as I can tell) we still don't know the answer to those questions, we can't know if FRB even knows about his application.

I am lucky to live in a town that doesn't drag this out, my last renewal was about 3 weeks.

I was clearer in my second post. If OP's friend is a first time applicant who has simply dropped off the form, then FRB will be of no help. Since (a far as I can tell) we still don't know the answer to those questions, we can't know if FRB even knows about his application.
Are you saying that the only LTC application status inquiry that the FRB will respond to
is a renewal indexed by the old LTC's license number?

Are you saying that the only LTC application status inquiry that the FRB will respond to
is a renewal indexed by the old LTC's license number?
Kind of, but not exactly.

What I'm saying is: if you call them about an application that hasn't been begun by a department, the only possible thing they can say is "we have yet to receive your application from your PD." This might mean it's being intentionally slow-walked. It could also mean the form is sitting at the bottom of a pile because someone honestly misplaced it.

I know that I personally waited 11 months and had to write letters to my mayor and state rep between dropping off the application and having my interview. In my interview, I was told that other applicants had been in the same pile for more than 13 months (i.e. well over a year). During that period, FRB would have had no information about that initial application. Since then, that city has had many changes to their licensing process.

Without more information, I'm assuming he dropped off the form and has heard nothing. Others are assuming he had his interview and has heard nothing. If the applicant in question (or our OP, even) tells us he's been through the interview, I'd say that calling FRB is the right first step. Otherwise, I'd say the department has it. If they stonewall him, the next step is moving uphill; as it's an (allegedly) green town, I would hope it shouldn't require that.

... if you call them about an application that hasn't been begun by a department, the only possible thing they can say is "we have yet to receive your application from your PD." This might mean it's being intentionally slow-walked. It could also mean the form is sitting at the bottom of a pile because someone honestly misplaced it.
Which, unless FRB lies (which no one has yet claimed),
tells you when the town LO says "the state is sitting on it",
you know that it's total đź’©.

And there's tons of those anecdotes on NES.

Which, unless FRB lies (which no one has yet claimed),
tells you when the town LO says "the state is sitting on it",
you know that it's total đź’©.

And there's tons of those anecdotes on NES.
Sure, if they say the state's sitting on it, then we know they're lying.

But if the person still hasn't had an interview, we know the state's not possibly sitting on it. So until OP tells us there's been an interview, I'm assuming there's no reason to talk to the state, because we know that the city still has it. So then the question is why?

And no amount of calling FRB can answer that.

Did your brother in law lie on his application?
ca89ffa6-f775-4cc3-a156-5c6d2fe59acb_text.gif

The good part about being in Central MA is most of the reps are Republicans.

Any time an application goes past 40 days we are doing ourselves a disservice by not going right to our reps and senator.

One time my renewal went past 40 days my Rep got an email from me.

The PD got a nasty gram from him the next day reminding them they were in violation of the law and he would be following this up weekly.

Got a response from the PD that said I would have my LTC delivered within a week and they did.

YMMV in red areas, but if everyone would complain at day 40 instead of sitting on their hands we would be better off.

Last edited:
The good part about being in Central MA is most of the reps are Republicans.

Any time an application goes past 40 days we are doing ourselves a disservice by not going right to our reps and senator.

One time my renewal went past 40 days my Rep got an email from me.

The PD got a nasty gram from him the next day reminding them they were in violation of the law and he would be following this up weekly.

Got a response from the PD that said I would have my LTC delivered within a week and they did.

YMMV in non red areas, but if everyone would complain at day 40 instead of sitting on their hands we would be better off.
When I wrote my rep and mayor (certified mail) in a rather red city, I got a call from the LO the next day to schedule my interview. Should have been equally pushy on the rest of the process, but we live and learn...

Yeah.....and you don't even need one to buy and use a gun.

Thats just if you care to conceal carry.....

That's partially correct.

In Georgia, you can purchase a firearm without a permit and legally posess it on your property or in your car. I'm fairly sure, but not positive because I haven't checked, that you can take firearms into an area to hunt without a weapons permit, (need hunting permit).

If you buy it from an FFL, without a weapons permit, they have to do a NICS check, (federal law), if from an individual - no check required. With a weapons permit, an FFL typically won't run a NICS check.

Georgia is an open carry state. With a weapons permit, you can carry openly or concealed - with some of the usual restrictions, (think post office, school buildings, etc).

Connecticut is an open carry state too - but I tend to see more visible handguns in Georgia than in Connecticut.

It's things like this that make me laugh when people from European countries like Poland that require references, psych evals, etc to get firearms permits think they have a good example for the USA to follow as a means of mitigating mass shootings and crime.

The idea that such a system wouldn't be abused by anti-gun activists within our own government that have control over the permitting process is absurd. Such a system might work in gun-friendly states to root out psychos, but if you live in NY, CA, CT, MA, or NY, I can only imagine how many denials and lengthy delays there would be of permits for people who pose almost no visible threat to society.

Any delays beyond 40 days should result in you calling Comm2A AND your representatives. There is no excuse for issuing authorities to be in violation of the law. A background check doesn't take 40 days and neither does the paperwork.

That's true about the city or town you live in. I renewed my LTC seven-time so far, the shortest wait time was 63 days, longest was 95 days. And my last renewal the one that took 95 days was pre-covid. Despite what we read or what we're told, there are no real guidelines. Each town just does its own thing. You apply and get the LTC when they're ready to give it to you and there's not a damn thing we can do about it.
Well, there is the law:

The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing

Source

Of course, there's no penalty for not complying with the above language, so....

Well, there is the law:

The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing

Source

Of course, there's no penalty for not complying with the above language, so....
What good are guidelines or laws if those who make them do not enforce them? Despite how it's written, the real guidelines are what the chief of police in your town says that they are. No that is not in writing, but that's just the way it is.

That's partially correct.

In Georgia, you can purchase a firearm without a permit and legally posess it on your property or in your car. I'm fairly sure, but not positive because I haven't checked, that you can take firearms into an area to hunt without a weapons permit, (need hunting permit).

If you buy it from an FFL, without a weapons permit, they have to do a NICS check, (federal law), if from an individual - no check required. With a weapons permit, an FFL typically won't run a NICS check.

Georgia is an open carry state. With a weapons permit, you can carry openly or concealed - with some of the usual restrictions, (think post office, school buildings, etc).

Connecticut is an open carry state too - but I tend to see more visible handguns in Georgia than in Connecticut.
Connecticut is ostensibly open carry, but you are opening yourself up to persecution if you do so.

Glad to be in Paxton. My renewal took about a month. Dear wife's initial application took less than that.

Connecticut is ostensibly open carry, but you are opening yourself up to persecution if you do so.

Glad to be in Paxton. My renewal took about a month. Dear wife's initial application took less than that.
Oh yeah and if you're carrying in CT, make sure to leave your MA preban mags at home. Constitution State only lets you have ten bullets at a time.

Oh yeah and if you're carrying in CT, make sure to leave your MA preban mags at home. Constitution State only lets you have ten bullets at a time.
that’s sort of correct.

if you declared standard capacity mags after sandy hook, which you would only do as a ct resident, then you can have a standard cap mag in your gun. However it can only have 10 rounds in it. So 10 in downloaded mag plus 1 in chamber.

unless you’re at home or at a range in which case you can load to capacity.

not a ct resident with declared mags? 10 round mag only.

The wait in my town varies greatly. Basically the licensing officer has to arrange for time off of patrol to process applications. It's a small town, with a small PD, so if they have two guys out on paternity leave, he will be pushing it off until he can schedule a couple of days to deal with applications. It's pretty obvious that the bigger his pile gets, the harder her pushes for time.
If you dropped off your app three weeks before he gets the time, it will take three weeks. But if it was six months before, that's how long it takes. It sucks, and they will never admit it, but that is what happens. The Chief approves every application as long as not federally prohibited, but processing sucks.
Years ago, it took five months for my first license. My last renewal took 4 weeks, and the day I picked up my renewal there was a line of people in the lobby picking up.

The wait in my town varies greatly. Basically the licensing officer has to arrange for time off of patrol to process applications. It's a small town, with a small PD, so if they have two guys out on paternity leave, he will be pushing it off until he can schedule a couple of days to deal with applications. It's pretty obvious that the bigger his pile gets, the harder her pushes for time.
If you dropped off your app three weeks before he gets the time, it will take three weeks. But if it was six months before, that's how long it takes. It sucks, and they will never admit it, but that is what happens. The Chief approves every application as long as not federally prohibited, but processing sucks.
Years ago, it took five months for my first license. My last renewal took 4 weeks, and the day I picked up my renewal there was a line of people in the lobby picking up.

I have a small town with a small PD. If it goes over 40 days I don't give a Fxck whos on paternity leave or whatever bullshit excuse they want to give me. Making excuses is just accepting that its all good to violate your rights. You pay taxes, and you should expect service for your money. Anything else is bullshit.

If it goes over 40 days, on day 41 I let my rep know they have violated the law and get their feet put in the fire. They can then add a weekly or semi weekly phone call to their workload explaining to my rep why they don't have my permit. Because for certain, my rep works for his money....and has my back.

They want the power...then they get to deal with the BS of following the law.

If they can't deal with following the law, then simple....change the law for no permits needed.

Police don't take excuses for not following the law....so neither do I. I hold them to the same standard.

Last edited:
What good are guidelines or laws if those who make them do not enforce them? Despite how it's written, the real guidelines are what the chief of police in your town says that they are. No that is not in writing, but that's just the way it is.
If your accept that without contacting your rep or senator on day 41......then you are being part of the problem.

License is valid until
I have a small town with a small PD. If it goes over 40 days I don't give a Fxck whos on paternity leave or whatever bullshit excuse they want to give me. Making excuses is just accepting that its all good to violate your rights. You pay taxes, and you should expect service for your money. Anything else is bullshit.

If it goes over 40 days, on day 41 I let my rep know they have violated the law and get their feet put in the fire. They can then add a weekly or semi weekly phone call to their workload explaining to my rep why they don't have my permit. Because for certain, my rep works for his money....and has my back.

They want the power...then they get to deal with the BS of following the law.

If they can't deal with following the law, then simple....change the law for no permits needed.

Police don't take excuses for not following the law....so neither do I. I hold them to the same standard.

Good for you. But it can backfire on you. 1 mile over the limit is speeding according to the letter of the law. One day that cop you reamed might remember that.

Back
Top Bottom