• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC w/ a DUI

A friend of mine asked if it is possible to get an LTC/FID of any class w/ a DUI on your record. I have no idea what to tell him. Does anyone know the answer?

A friend of mine asked if it is possible to get an LTC/FID of any class w/ a DUI on your record. I have no idea what to tell him. Does anyone know the answer?

If it happened in MA, andit's a post May 1994 DUI conviction he's basically screwed. (I forget what the exact date was... )

This is a "contact a gun lawyer" kind of question. Anyone who has a record should consult with an MA gun lawyer before submitting an LTC or
FID app. There are too many pitfalls not to.

-Mike

I have friends that have gotten them, but i think they had "continued without a finding" which i think is common with the first offense. I'm not too sure the deal with it, but like i said a now a few people that have them....

Apparently it was continued w/o a finding. Does that make a difference?

Yes it does.... but he still should talk to someone like Cross-X so that he fills out his application correctly, and has someone on tap in case the issuing authority gives him any flack. Some IAs are not attuned to the fact that a CWOF is not supposed to be a statutory disqualifier- there's also the issue
of CWOF + ASF, and whether or not that conditional is one or not.

ETA: See Also - CWOF thread:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37621

See Also:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=26520

-Mike

Last edited:
Apparently it was continued w/o a finding. Does that make a difference?

I am not a lawyer! But one of my best friends was in the same situation, and he got his without any problems. Is it because the town we live in? i don't know if it makes a difference, I do know for a fact that's what his deal was and that he got one. I can tell you that he should be honest and let them know before hand, as my friend did.

I am not a lawyer! But one of my best friends was in the same situation, and he got his without any problems. Is it because the town we live in? i don't know if it makes a difference, I do know for a fact that's what his deal was and that he got one. I can tell you that he should be honest and let them know before hand, as my friend did.

I agree with this but sometimes being honest isn't enough, and if you poke around in the two links I just posted, you'll easily see why that is
true.

-Mike

a CWOF can be used as a suitability issue though, but a conviction after 10/94 is going to prevent one from being issued because of the length of time in prison for a conviction. If they changed the law to reduce that maximum sentence by 1 day it would no longer be a disqualifier, but we know that MA will use any back door way to deprive you of your 2A rights.

Back
Top Bottom