• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC taking nearly 5 months...help?

I applied for my license on october 7th. The lieutenant that had taken the paperwork, etc. had said to call him in 3 months. I did, he said "we're still waiting on the background check to come through"... called again every week. Same answer. Finally 2 weeks ago, spoke with the captain, and he had mentioned that when they sent out my fingerprints that something went wrong... so he resent them. Told me to call again this past monday. Called up n asked for him, he wasn't available so they patched me thru to the lieutenant again. -.- he yet again says "we're still waiting on the background checks". Called the DCJIS and FRB a few times, and they said they have no record of "pending" application for me. So what in the hell can I do?? I am going nuts. Nearly 5 months and what should've been all settled months ago is still going. Can they do this? who should I ask for when I call again?

that seriously sucks. there are people here that can coach you on the next best steps - I'm curious to see what they have to say as well. best of luck!

no need to repost with his town. it is sad but he shouldnt openly say which town. the chief might just make it take a bit longer....

It took from May to Oct last year for me. That seemed to be average for many green towns back then.

sometimes you need to play the system to get what you want. after he gets the card he can rag on them all he wants. do it the right way and call GOAL and COMM2A like everyone already said. they will do it the correct way for you.
I get it, it just pisses me off that we have the right but need to beg etc.....bullshit

Call Comm2A.

That's the norm in Massachusetts for just about everyone. UI feel sorry for you, but have no advice besides call Comm2A, and move.

In this case, I'd call or write your State Rep and ask for his/her help. It's amazing how fast things can happen once the chief gets a call from a state rep!! Document everything you did and timeline in your request for help.

In this case, I'd call or write your State Rep and ask for his/her help. It's amazing how fast things can happen once the chief gets a call from a state rep!! Document everything you did and timeline in your request for help.

this.

flanagan, while a democrat, helped out a few folks in fitchburg when they were pulling this exact same kind of bullshit.

How come background checks when buying a gun takes a few minutes, but mass background checks take months?? Laziness.

... and he had mentioned that when they sent out my fingerprints that something went wrong... so he resent them.

I've been subjected to this same exact story, as have others in my town. I'm going the political route if I don't have my renewal in my pocket soon.

How come background checks when buying a gun takes a few minutes, but mass background checks take months?? Laziness.

This is exactly what I would like to know! I have had multiple CORI background checks run on me to volunteer in mentoring programs for middle schoolers, and I think they come back faster.

---

I'm waiting on my background check to come back as well, according to the FRB, my application is pending review by the licensing officer. Hopefully nothing goes wrong with my prints too. Maybe when they run your prints through the system and don't find anything it takes longer? Otherwise how would they ever find matches so quickly on those CSI type shows [rolleyes]

Last edited:

I called the mayor of my town and the next day I got a call from the licensing officer " the mayor wanted me to let you know your license was in..." He didn't seem too pleased but results came

This is exactly what I would like to know! I have had multiple CORI background checks run on me to volunteer in mentoring programs for middle schoolers, and I think they come back faster.

---

I'm waiting on my background check to come back as well, according to the FRB, my application is pending review by the licensing officer. Hopefully nothing goes wrong with my prints too. Maybe when they run your prints through the system and don't find anything it takes longer? Otherwise how would they ever find matches so quickly on those CSI type shows [rolleyes]

CORI is totally irrelevant to the type of checks LE does for a LTC. CORI is a tiny subset of the data that LE checks and looks for.

It still shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes if run like normal criminal records checks . . . but the LTC system setup their own mechanism which indeed takes 100s of times longer in the best cases.

I called the mayor of my town and the next day I got a call from the licensing officer " the mayor wanted me to let you know your license was in..." He didn't seem too pleased but results came

Yes, I almost added mayor/town manager/selectmen to my suggestion. Political pressure is the way to go.

CORI is totally irrelevant to the type of checks LE does for a LTC. CORI is a tiny subset of the data that LE checks and looks for.

It still shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes if run like normal criminal records checks . . . but the LTC system setup their own mechanism which indeed takes 100s of times longer in the best cases.

Yes, I almost added mayor/town manager/selectmen to my suggestion. Political pressure is the way to go.

Thanks for the clarification. Don't get why they need to multiply systems like that but i guess that's government for you.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I applied on Oct. 8, 2013. I had license in hand on Feb.25, 2014. It does suck that I had to wait so long and I was getting what seemed like a "runaround." I called my LO every two weeks after 3 months to inquire about the status and I called the state number on the off week to inquire with them. From what I was told the state is the last "person" to get the information and basically just moves it along. My license was printed on the 18th received in mail on 25th. Now its been fun just trying to purchase something I was delayed in purchase after waiting all that time!!!

I applied on Oct. 8, 2013. I had license in hand on Feb.25, 2014. It does suck that I had to wait so long and I was getting what seemed like a "runaround." I called my LO every two weeks after 3 months to inquire about the status and I called the state number on the off week to inquire with them. From what I was told the state is the last "person" to get the information and basically just moves it along. My license was printed on the 18th received in mail on 25th. Now its been fun just trying to purchase something I was delayed in purchase after waiting all that time!!!

What a service! They mailed it to you? In my town you have to pick it up in person. It is a little celebration, you know, we hug, sing revolutionary songs and get pictures taken with other known criminals.

What a service! They mailed it to you? In my town you have to pick it up in person. It is a little celebration, you know, we hug, sing revolutionary songs and get pictures taken with other known criminals.

In my town, you have to pick it up in person....and provide a photo ID. [rolleyes]

I mean, your picture is ON the one you're getting! [laugh]

When I went to pick mine up a few years ago I was asked for a state issued picture I.D. I told the guy he was about to hand it to me. He didn't look happy, Just grunted a little and gave it to me.

Back
Top Bottom