• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC Restriction Removal Request (Quincy)

Hey all,

I applied for my LTC mid-2020 and it was issued in early January of this year, just a few months ago, with a Target & Hunting restriction. Does anybody have any experience in successfully getting the restriction lifted and how they went about it? I am wondering if it is too early to make this request and would love to hear some thoughts. I've seen some similar threads that are pretty old and would love to hear some recent advice on the best way to present to the Police chief this request. Note: I know that in Quincy they take age into consideration when first applying. I am 33. Thanks in advance for the help

That's what I hear. I wish I had found this forum for advice and knew more people at the time of applying. I believe I put home defense instead of all legal purposes in my write up.
Yah that will do it. If you ask for anything except full unrestricted , you will get some kind of restrictions.
In Newton they used to give every first time applicant a restricted license, but upon renewal if you asked for unrestricted "all lawful purposes" they
would do that. Dunno if that still works same way.

Yah that will do it. If you ask for anything except full unrestricted , you will get some kind of restrictions.
In Newton they used to give every first time applicant a restricted license, but upon renewal if you asked for unrestricted "all lawful purposes" they
What a headache to deal with from an early mistake. I'm hoping to not have to wait for my renewal to get this restriction lifted.

Clean record, just poor research before applying. Any thoughts about getting it lifted?
If your record is clean I would just call or email the licensing officer and ask what you need to do to have the restriction removed. You may need to just re-do the application and pay the fee again, I think they have to cancel/expire the first license and issue a new one to remove the restriction. I don't believe Quincy will ask you to jump through a hoop or do cartwheels in a thong or anything crazy like that.

If your record is clean I would just call or email the licensing officer and ask what you need to do to have the restriction removed. You may need to just re-do the application and pay the fee again, I think they have to cancel/expire the first license and issue a new one to remove the restriction.
That's actually really simple but great advice. Thank you

I would say that you requested home defense but have studied up on the judicious use of lethal force and feel you would be a responsible citizen and gun owner if you were given the opportunity to carry a gun for protection inside and outside the home.

But, really get caught up on the law...

I'd start here:

What a headache to deal with from an early mistake. I'm hoping to not have to wait for my renewal to get this restriction lifted.
I made the same mistake as you. I also live in a town that is "really good about it". They put on their website that if you want your restriction lifted just write us. I sent them a letter and a new unrestricted license showed up weeks later. If I remember correctly I did not have to pay the fee again for it either. Ymmv.

Good luck!

You don't have to wait for renewal in Newton. You need to have an interview and the licensing officer will tell you to write a letter to the chief after 1 year to have the restrictions removed. Straightforward and works, although since I think there isn't a chief right now that might gum up the process.

Possibly under-age? IIRC they still apply age discrimination and give under 25s a f***ed license.
That's some horse shit. OP if that's the case and they tell you it's because your under 25 (inform them you are recording the call or get it in writing), and you feel like being an advocate for people's rights in that town , contact GOAL or Comm2a.

Worked for me when I renewed in Newton. Unrestricted.

You don't have to wait for renewal in Newton. You need to have an interview and the licensing officer will tell you to write a letter to the chief after 1 year to have the restrictions removed. Straightforward and works, although since I think there isn't a chief right now that might gum up the process.
Howard Mintz (the former CLEO) is the interim chief for now until they find a replacement for resigning CLEO MacDonald. Mintz was a pretty good CLEO from what I remember. I think under him, when we still had the LTC B, he stopped the Newton tradition of issuing LTC Bs to Newton LTC applicants and issuing LTC As.

If your record is clean I would just call or email the licensing officer and ask what you need to do to have the restriction removed. You may need to just re-do the application and pay the fee again, I think they have to cancel/expire the first license and issue a new one to remove the restriction. I don't believe Quincy will ask you to jump through a hoop or do cartwheels in a thong or anything crazy like that.
From what I recall it's just a simple change in the computer at the police station to, Restrictions: None. NO additional fee or application redo needed.

Back
Top Bottom