Ltc renewalHow early

Depends on how your pd is. I like to play it safe. I don't trust licensing folks they can be lazy, power trippers, and inefficient. So how much time do you think is safe? Where are you located?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

5 months, unless you know your local PD is reasonable about it. I live in a very green town, but the Sgt. who does these things is slow. I think it took 3 months. On the plus side, he hand delivered it to my door while he was out and about[thumbsup]

Depends on the town. I got the reminder 2.5 months before my birthday and went down to renew. New license came about a month ago. It won't be valid until next week.

How early is everyone Starting their ltc renewal process??

If your PD is renowned to suck I would do it 3 months in advance if they will let you.

ALWAYS GET A RECEIPT when your renewal app is done. This covers your ass if they decide to drag ass.

-Mike

In Reading that wait time is rediculous. I submitted in May for a January Renewal. Still don't have it. Old one is still active because I submitted before the expiration date but its always a pain in the ass when dealing with FFL's. Don't forget to keep your renewal receipt with you.

I recently had a customer with an expired LTC who submitted his renewal paperwork back in May (11 months ago). He still doesn't have his new LTC.

Edit: Oh hey John!

My town said a month early, so I am heading down tomorrow. They are very good, but I don't know if Charlie had decided to move the paper pushers in the records department to other more important stuff like hiding illegals or to man the phones at Maura's 'Hate Crime Hotline'. I will post on status updates.

I did my recent one 5 months early and received it 1 week before expiration. I hope to not be a MA resident long before the next renewal but if so, I'll submit 6 months in advance.

In my green town it just took 2 months from paperwork drop off to getting the call on a renewal being ready.

i called the licensing people in my city 5 months ahead of expiration and they told me to "make the appointment NOW." i did and got it for 2 weeks from then. got the ltc renewal in hand in 8 weeks, way ahead of schedule.

Mine expires in December. I was planning on starting the process possibly in June maybe July.

I have the same plan/expiration as you. Although my PD had my license in 34 days from submission/fingerprints.

Just applied for renewal on mine. It's up in 4 months. I'm hopeful, last time it was pretty quick... 30 days or so. (compared to the first time I applied with a PITA licensing officer that took 100 days exactly - not that I was counting - and a call to senator Brewers office.)

Two months for Quincy. No appointment needed for renewal. Walk-in and 1/2 hour later you're done. At least that's what they told me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot,mine expires in September. Better get on it

Mine too!, this thread got me thinking so I e-mailed my PD last night to see when they recommend submitting the renewal app. Our licensing Officer is retiring very soon, hope that doesn't bugger up the works. I found it interesting that they have zero info on this on their website, or anything firearm related except the change of address form.

I live in a pretty Green town. Last renewal - 4 or so years ago - went by about 3x before I could get a call-back for an appt for my fingerscan and such. It was the year that Newtown happened. Or the following year.

THEN had to wait 2 months for the license. Past my expiry-date. Frustrating as all get out. Had a gun come in a FS that I couldn't pick up b/c the renewal didn't come in.

Funny is my wife NEVER has problems. Ever. But hers is this September, so we shall see.

Like the OP, I live in Franklin. I originally posted this in the "Gun Rights in my Massachusetts Town" Thread and here it is again FWIW:

Got my renewal in the mail 1/21/17 in Franklin, still no restrictions. Submitted application back on 10/9/16; Had interview on 11/15/16. Called FRB on 1/5/17 and told my license was approved and printed on 12/29. All told, from sending in of application to receipt of renewed license - just under 11 weeks.

Like the OP, I live in Franklin. I originally posted this in the "Gun Rights in my Massachusetts Town" Thread and here it is again FWIW:

Got my renewal in the mail 1/21/17 in Franklin, still no restrictions. Submitted application back on 10/9/16; Had interview on 11/15/16. Called FRB on 1/5/17 and told my license was approved and printed on 12/29. All told, from sending in of application to receipt of renewed license - just under 11 weeks.

I should add that I could have picked an earlier appointment date after submitting my application, which would very likely have shortened the process, possibly by as much as a month.

Green, yellow, red . . . ONLY indicates probability of receiving an unrestricted LTC. It is NOT an indicator of efficiency (turn-around time)!!!

Most PDs blame FRB/state for delays, but that is 99% BS. FRB used to post what week's submittals (by PD) they were working on. I suspect that they still do, but haven't looked. Usually they take 2-3 weeks for completion to receipt by PD of your new LTC. All other delays are on the PD, no matter what they tell you. They don't dedicate resources to processing gun licenses, the town (NOT the PD, typically 70% of town funds go to the schools) only receives $25 of that $100 fee you pay . . . the rest goes into the state's coffers, so they can't even pay OT from that to process them more timely.

Stopped by the PD today, my appointment is for Thursday at 9AM. The coversheet says 4-5 weeks. First look at the affidavit about not losing or stolen guns.

The appointment took 5 minutes - no bs, paperwork, pic - done.
They said the licenses are taking 5-6 weeks.

They kept to it less than 6 weeks, they usually take less than 4 weeks.

Last edited:
In my green town it just took 2 months from paperwork drop off to getting the call on a renewal being ready.

Green town also (in central MA.) PD very accommodating for appointment to turn in application and to smile for the camera. My renewal took a total of 54 days from turning in application to receiving new card via snail mail. For me, it was six weeks before current LTC expires.

I have no complaints. Very efficient. Good job LPD.

Jay

I applied about 2 months before expiration, had the renewal a couple of weeks after the expiration date. Fortunately I had no money to spend on guns during the gap, I hate to deal with ambiguous paperwork. Theoretically the fact that I applied before expiration meant I should be OK, but it's much easier with the official card.

How early is everyone Starting their ltc renewal process??

Mine expires in October of 2017. I made my apt in may.....had the new one in hand before June. Early I know......but I don't take chances.

- - - Updated - - -

Green town also (in central MA.) PD very accommodating for appointment to turn in application and to smile for the camera. My renewal took a total of 54 days from turning in application to receiving new card via snail mail. For me, it was six weeks before current LTC expires.

I have no complaints. Very efficient. Good job LPD.

Jay

Had mine in 3 weeks! Haverhill.

Will second it varies by town. IIRC I called for an appt months early and it was like come tomorrow...but I made it for later. And then it was yup, you'll get no restrictions but the LT will wait until your birthday and it will be free. In my town of Rehoboth, everyone from the person answering the phone to the Chiefs secretary to the LT doing the licensing have been above and beyond, both for initial license and renewal. Would that you all had the same crew in your town!

Back
Top Bottom