• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC renewal time in Brookline MA

Has anyone renewed their LTC in Brookline MA recently? How long did it take to go through? My LTC expires in June and I have it in my head I should apply 6 months ahead of time to ensure no gaps.
There is a very high likelihood I will be out of Brookline by June so if I could wait and apply for a new LTC wherever I end up that would be ideal but don't want to get in a situation where I have no LTC anywhere. Not exactly sure where/when I will be moving yet. Anyone go through the renewal process recently?

Well, if you get renewed in Brookline, you'll have another 5-6 yrs restricted. It all depends on knowing where you're doing and if that town is Green. You can still carry on expired if your renewal is in the system, but it would a Brookline renewal. Hello Len. Help. Jack.

Well, if you get renewed in Brookline, you'll have another 5-6 yrs restricted. It all depends on knowing where you're doing and if that town is Green. You can still carry on expired if your renewal is in the system, but it would a Brookline renewal. Hello Len. Help. Jack.
Sorry, brain fade. You won't be able to carry, buy you won't be locked up. Jack.

If you know the town you are moving to, go talk to the person who would be handling your LTC. Tell them your dilemma. I live in a very green town and renewed my LTC 2 yrs before renewal to get rid of the restriction. However, the renewing LEO said I had to cancel the current LTC and apply for a new LTC, otherwise it would get rejected. I was worried about cancelling and having NO LTC during the wait and possibly getting the new LTC rejected and then having no license at all. LEO said to just keep all firearms in the house during this period and everything will be ok... One month later I get my new unrestricted LTC. Good luck!

Per the 2014 law change: IFF a PD puts your renewal in MIRCS even the day before your birthday (expiration of current LTC), you get an unlimited grace period (you MUST carry the MIRCS receipt after expiration plus expired LTC) and can do whatever the expired LTC allowed you to do until you get your new one (it says so in fine print at the bottom of the MIRCS receipt). Buy/Sell guns/ammo (just not in big box stores or FFLs who are too dumb to read).

Sorry, brain fade. You won't be able to carry, buy you won't be locked up. Jack.

Cant' carry only because Brookline. Otherwise see my response above.

Brookline will refuse to cancel an LTC early because they view their civic duty to be preventing as many people as possible from legally carrying in public.
The town I was born in. NOTHING has changed in 70 yrs!

In addition to hating gun owners. Jack.

True.

Thanks all for the input.

To recap, this is what I am hearing:

1. Brookline is difficult (I'm being REALLY nice here with the wording) which I knew and won't cancel an existing LTC (again: difficult) which I already knew as well.
2. As long as the LTC renewal is put in to MIRCS before expiration date I am fine (as long as carry appropriate paperwork). This is good to know as I won't worry about giving myself a full 6 month grace period.

Hopefully I will end up in a greener town (just about every town should be greener than Brookline) so for the moment I will hold off on renewal until I figure out where I will be

I don’t know if Brookline will accept an application, or if, like Gardner, they make you wait 3 months for an appointment.

Regardless, you’ve still got a 90 day grace period after expiration. Unfortunately, many cops don’t realize that and may charge you with carrying without a license. If that happens you get to pay me a shit ton of money to explain the law to a judge.

Ask the Brookline licensing officer how far in advance you should apply for a renewal. There's not a ton of licenses in Brookline so no back log so I doubt they would even accept your application six months out.

Has anyone renewed their LTC in Brookline MA recently? How long did it take to go through? My LTC expires in June and I have it in my head I should apply 6 months ahead of time to ensure no gaps.
There is a very high likelihood I will be out of Brookline by June so if I could wait and apply for a new LTC wherever I end up that would be ideal but don't want to get in a situation where I have no LTC anywhere. Not exactly sure where/when I will be moving yet. Anyone go through the renewal process recently?

Store your guns somewhere with an LTC friend if you have to and wait it out. DO NOT renew in brookline. Otherwise you will get restricted LTC AIDS/Herpes even if you move out. Top 3 worst issuing authority in MA.

-Mike

Brookline will refuse to cancel an LTC early because they view their civic duty to be preventing as many people as possible from legally carrying in public.
Unless you 'know someone' in which case you're good to go.

Boston has to be up in top 3
Not really. Boston does not downgrade an out of towner who moves into Boston and renews, plus unrestricted can be had if you know how to play the game. Neither is true in Brookline and probably not in the others in the top 3.

Not really. Boston does not downgrade an out of towner who moves into Boston and renews, plus unrestricted can be had if you know how to play the game. Neither is true in Brookline and probably not in the others in the top 3.

This, exactly.

-Mike

When I was coaching Dorchester Youth Hockey, I’d always get the kids all riled up when playing Brookline by talking about how wealthy and entitled they are.

Am I a bad man?

The Brookline youth lacrosse and tennis coaches probably say something similar about the underprivileged kids in Dorchester when they
play against those teams. [wink]

Not sure what it's like now, but when I was at BHS (70-74), the hockey team was mostly Irish and Italian hoodlums from the working class
neighborhood.

A number of them (and myself), were always going at it with the wealthy/upperclass kids for any reason we could find.

The old neighborhood was gentrified ages ago and all the 3 deckers have been converted in to condos or way overpriced apartments.

Does any town downgrade you if you move in with an unrestricted? Salem didn’t when I renewed a few years back.

Makes me sick to my stomach that these a**h***s get away with this blatant disregard for the Constitution. [puke]

Back
Top Bottom