• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ltc renewal question

cdust666

NES Member
Hello fellow nes members and guests. My ltc is in the renewal process it expired today. Am i able to sell any firearms while im waiting for my new ltc?. Any help would be great. Thank you al

By law yes if you filed a renewal before expiration and have not been notified of a denial; in practice no as the FRB reporting system will not allow the FA-10 to be processed as their software does not recognize the grace period. Pushing on this point could be financially perilous.

By law yes if you filed a renewal before expiration and have not been notified of a denial; in practice no as the FRB reporting system will not allow the FA-10 to be processed as their software does not recognize the grace period. Pushing on this point could be financially perilous.

So, the eFA10 would be a problem, but a paper FA10 should be fine, right?

So, the eFA10 would be a problem, but a paper FA10 should be fine, right?

It would be pulling on the tail of the tiger. Since the FRB appears to be taking the position that the grace period does not cover sales (a limitation I have thus far been unable to find in the statutes), there is a chance for a law enforcement referral if you submit an FA10 with an expired/grace period LTC and their system rejects the entry when they scan the form.

It's like having a gun "not on your person" on school property - not unlawful (see other threads for details on this one), but the understanding (perhaps intentional) by those charged with enforcing the law is at a level that would get one mercilessly flamed for inaccuracy on NES.

In short, unless you are prepared to be the test case at your expense, wait until your LTC renewal is complete.

Based on what these guys say, I would just eat the $20-$30 (or have the buyer pay it) and go through an FFL so that you don't run into unnecessary problems.

Back
Top Bottom