LTC Renewal Question...Have You Received Mail Out of State?

Probably fishing to see if your really a resident or not. Best option if you have a “Summer Home” elsewhere is to have mail forwarded by USPS and none addressed to that non-residence address.

Some Government mailings have DO NOT FORWARD on the envelope and the USPS will not forward anything with that on the envelope.

I had to come home from FL to re-register my cars last winter as the USPS would not forward the notice from my town with the forms to do it.

They're cross checking your out-state-address with MidwayUSA's order history trying to determine if those standard capacity PMAGs were shipped to you.

Out-of-state possession of AWs, standard capacity mags, etc., is not illegal. Not that that matters to some people in Mass. government.

If that starts to apply, I am in deep, deep doo with the maura-minions. API in 50BMG, tracers, tannerite, fireworks, a tote full of standard mags....AR's with screw off flash supporessors, and cans on order for the NFA trust if they ever fvcking process it. It's a panty-twisting list for them...on purpose

Oh, Massachusetts, do you really not have enough ways to screw over law abiding gun owners, you have to reach your tentacles across State Lines?

Friends, by the way, I'm out. Moving to a free state. With Pandemic-lockdown BS and New World Order funded Marxist Civil unrest, a Presidential Election coming that will make counting Hanging Chads look like a child's game, an Economy that's going to sputter if not completely crash, especially if the Left wins the election, on top of an already ridiculously oppressive Nanny State, life in Massachusetts is doomed.

I'll be far away, but I'll rejoin to opine and seek and share info with NES as some new name.

Good luck to all. Squire, over and out.

What's that about and how does affect renewal?
Which leads to the question getting a PO Box in another state where you own a house.
What are the legal ramifications in that state or Massachusetts or pitfalls?

If this is some douche town unlawful addendum to an LTC renewal application, "just say no". f*** em, feed them shit and keep them in the dark.

Well, hell, I receive mail out of state all the time.

My office is in PA, I get mail there on a regular basis.
Pre-Corona I would pick it up 2-3 times a month when I went into the office.

That's a pretty twisted question.

Have you always lived in Massachusetts? If the answer is "no", then you almost certainly have received mail out of state.
In that case, if you answer the actual question "no", then you're lying on your application.

It seems to me that it's probably some douche's attempt to determine if you have residency elsewhere, but it's a very poorly worded question.

"Never attribute to malice aforethought that which can be adequately explained by stupidity".

If this is some douche town unlawful addendum to an LTC renewal application, "just say no". f*** em, feed them shit and keep them in the dark.

That's a pretty twisted question.

Have you always lived in Massachusetts? If the answer is "no", then you almost certainly have received mail out of state.
In that case, if you answer the actual question "no", then you're lying on your application.

It seems to me that it's probably some douche's attempt to determine if you have residency elsewhere, but it's a very poorly worded question.

"Never attribute to malice aforethought that which can be adequately explained by stupidity".

I was taken a back by it. It was an in person interview with them asking the questions and me answering. I've never been asked that before so I was thinking it was a new question not that I know what they can and can't ask.
And it was specific to asking if you have received mail in another state, not that you lived in another state. To me that wasn't really a relevant question if you were wondering about residency. It had a bad ring to it in my spirit and I certainly don't trust their intentions.

They probably just want to ensure part time residents don’t get in-state permits. Maine does the same and I cannot get a resident permit there despite owning a home.

The MSP officer in charge of permits replied as follows when I inquired:

You would only be able to apply as a resident if this were going to be your permanent residence. This would include licensing vehicles in Maine, having a Maine drivers license and voting in Maine. I hope this helps.

I've lived in my town my whole life had a licence in town since I was 15 (FID) then LTC since 21 and I'm getting old now only on paper. LOL. They were only asking about receiving mail in another state not residency there.
town??

I've lived in my town my whole life had a licence in town since I was 15 (FID) then LTC since 21 and I'm getting old now only on paper. LOL. They were only asking about receiving mail in another state not residency there.

The goal is to ferret out information that could indicate that somebody is not actually a resident.

The city where I live in Connecticut uses a similar method for evaluating residence for preference eligibility in municipal hiring processes. They follow the typical qualification questions (e.g. re. evidence of ownership or rental residence in town by utilities, lease, tax records, etc...., vehicle registrations, DL/ID address, voter registration address, etc...) with a question about ownership of property outside the city, and to provide an explanation of affirmative responses. An affirmative response would not necessarily trigger a DQ on the preference points (e.g. an individual is a resident of the city but owns a business, vacation, or investment property out of town) but might (e.g. an individual might make a statement that indicates that they actually reside at the out of town property and owned the property in city for some other purpose).

They probably just want to ensure part time residents don’t get in-state permits. Maine does the same and I cannot get a resident permit there despite owning a home.

The MSP officer in charge of permits replied as follows when I inquired:

You would only be able to apply as a resident if this were going to be your permanent residence. This would include licensing vehicles in Maine, having a Maine drivers license and voting in Maine. I hope this helps.

I took a shot at turning my CT non-resident permit into a resident permit. Had a very frustrating conversation at the DESPP. My viewpoint was that since I owned a "residence" in CT, (my trailer), I pay personal property taxes on it to the town, and I live there five months of the years - that I could claim residency by ATF rules and purchase handguns. The DESPP statement, (repeated by a "supervisor" when I persisted), was that I could get a CT resident permit if I swapped my GA driver's license for a CT one.

I gave up.

Why did you try in the first place? Is there some sort of advantage over having a resident vs non in CT?

I took a shot at turning my CT non-resident permit into a resident permit. Had a very frustrating conversation at the DESPP. My viewpoint was that since I owned a "residence" in CT, (my trailer), I pay personal property taxes on it to the town, and I live there five months of the years - that I could claim residency by ATF rules and purchase handguns. The DESPP statement, (repeated by a "supervisor" when I persisted), was that I could get a CT resident permit if I swapped my GA driver's license for a CT one.

I gave up.

Why did you try in the first place? Is there some sort of advantage over having a resident vs non in CT?

You can purchase longarms in other states if they can be legally purchased in your state of residence;
but Federal law says that you can only purchase handguns in any state that you're a resident of.

I typically spend about 5 months a year in CT, and I wanted to be able to buy pistols there as well as here in GA.

The goal is to ferret out information that could indicate that somebody is not actually a resident.

The city where I live in Connecticut uses a similar method for evaluating residence for preference eligibility in municipal hiring processes. They follow the typical qualification questions (e.g. re. evidence of ownership or rental residence in town by utilities, lease, tax records, etc...., vehicle registrations, DL/ID address, voter registration address, etc...) with a question about ownership of property outside the city, and to provide an explanation of affirmative responses. An affirmative response would not necessarily trigger a DQ on the preference points (e.g. an individual is a resident of the city but owns a business, vacation, or investment property out of town) but might (e.g. an individual might make a statement that indicates that they actually reside at the out of town property and owned the property in city for some other purpose).
It doesn't matter what the goal is.... it's not required by the application under mgl which makes even asking the question unlawful. Nobody should put up with it. Mgl allows a PD to ask for documentation of residency and so on that is all that is legally required.... period end full stop. "Receiving mail in another place" is not illegal nor is it a damning indicator of anything, it's just tryrants fishing for information they're not entitled to. I receive mail at work in Cambridge, and at my parents house thats one town away from mine... eitger case, that sure as f*** doesn’t mean I'm a "resident" in either location! [laugh]

Do you mean if you want to take posession of the handgun immediatey? I assume you can purchase in CT and have it FFL'ed back to GA?

Its interesting since a few years ago when I looked into it, Massachusetts folks that owned property in Maine could buy handguns here and take possession of them immediately. They had to show something like a deed, etc....not sure why that worked. I wonder if this is because of the "intention of making a home in that state" part of the ATF residency clause. You own property, so you might "intend" to make a home here?

Anyways, sorry to sidebar the conversation. :)

You can purchase longarms in other states if they can be legally purchased in your state of residence;
but Federal law says that you can only purchase handguns in any state that you're a resident of.

I typically spend about 5 months a year in CT, and I wanted to be able to buy pistols there as well as here in GA.

Do you mean if you want to take posession of the handgun immediatey? I assume you can purchase in CT and have it FFL'ed back to GA?

Its interesting since a few years ago when I looked into it, Massachusetts folks that owned property in Maine could buy handguns here and take possession of them immediately. They had to show something like a deed, etc....not sure why that worked. I wonder if this is because of the "intention of making a home in that state" part of the ATF residency clause. You own property, so you might "intend" to make a home here?

Anyways, sorry to sidebar the conversation. :)

Yes.

Federal law says that you can purchase a handgun in any state that you are a resident in, and you can reside in multiple states.
CT says that I need a resident weapons permit to purchase handgun in their state.

My primary home is in Georgia, I have a Georgia weapons permit.
I have a camper in CT, and I typically live in it from May through October, (more or less).
I have a non-resident CT weapons permit.

I tried to change my CT non-resident to a CT resident permit so that I could buy handguns while I was in CT.
CT DESPP said "no", that I'd need to change my driver's license from GA to CT to get a resident CT permit.
I thought that was incorrect; they thought I was incorrect.
They refused to issue me a CT resident permit.

I had my subsequent purchase of a handgun from a CT resident shipped to a FFL in GA where I picked it up.

Oh, Massachusetts, do you really not have enough ways to screw over law abiding gun owners, you have to reach your tentacles across State Lines?

Friends, by the way, I'm out. Moving to a free state. With Pandemic-lockdown BS and New World Order funded Marxist Civil unrest, a Presidential Election coming that will make counting Hanging Chads look like a child's game, an Economy that's going to sputter if not completely crash, especially if the Left wins the election, on top of an already ridiculously oppressive Nanny State, life in Massachusetts is doomed.

I'll be far away, but I'll rejoin to opine and seek and share info with NES as some new name.

Good luck to all. Squire, over and out.

I guess I will make it official... I too am all but out the door. Same reasons. Going to go be closer to family.

Back
Top Bottom