• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC Renewal Question 10

My first renewal is coming up relatively soon and I was reviewing the application. Question 10 states: "Have you ever appeared in court for any criminal offense (excluding non-criminal traffic offenses)?"

10 years ago in college I was pulled over in NH with alcohol in my car. I had to appear in court and pay a fine for minor in possession and transportation of alcohol by a minor. I wasn't drinking it was just in my car so there's no DUI or anything like that.

My problem is that I cannot for the life of me remember what I put down on the initial LTC application. I might not have disclosed it because I thought it was a traffic offense but now that I read it again it should probably have put it if didn't originally.

I have 2 concerns. The first is obviously getting denied a renewal because of that incident. The second is if I didn't originally disclose it and I do now, getting denied based on the fact that I didn't disclose it before if they cross reference the original form.

I was wondering if anyone has any input on this. I will disclose the incident on my renewal because I want to be truthful, but what do you think the chances are of my renewal getting denied?

I live in a green town not sure if that would make a difference.

I know hindsight is 20/20 and this does not help answer your question, but this is why you should make a copy of your application when you submit.

Last edited:
I answered no to this question. It was a lie, not on purpose.I was pulled over many years ago on a motorcycle with a passenger when I only had a permit. I guess this is bad but I just thought it was like any traffic ticket. Anyway when called in for my interview the secretary asks me about appearing in court from this incident and has me change my answer and date and initial it. Was not an issue for me however they are pretty easy going here in Maybury, MA (Mansfield)

I know hindsight is 20/20 and this does not help answer your question, but this is why you should make a copy of your application when you submit.

Right. I will this time. Hopefully they don't deny my renewal for something like that.

You have to knowingly lie on the app for it to be a crime. Since you thought it was a traffic offense, you didn't knowingly lie. If they give you crap about it and not issue the license call Comm2A. If they just reissue, fix it next time.

I looked up the statutes that I appeared in court for. (Minor in possession and unlawful transportation by a minor) They are all listed as violations according to NHs website.

The website distinguishes between felonies, misdemeanors and violations:

(b) A violation does not constitute a crime and conviction of a violation shall not give rise to any disability or legal disadvantage based on conviction of a criminal offense.

So if they aren't considered criminal offenses due to them being labeled as violations, doesn't this mean I don't have to disclose it on question 10 because its not a "criminal offense"?

I am starting to think that I should avoid having this on my renewal because I'm sure they are always looking for reasons to deny these.

Any input?

Read MA's question. They don't ask for criminal charges. They ask for anything where a day in jail or more is a possible sentence.

Read MA's question. They don't ask for criminal charges. They ask for anything where a day in jail or more is a possible sentence.

I'm not seeing this. Question 6 references incarceration for 1 year or more. Question 10 is what I'm asking about and it says Have you appeared in court for any criminal offense.

I'm not seeing this. Question 6 references incarceration for 1 year or more. Question 10 is what I'm asking about and it says Have you appeared in court for any criminal offense.

I may have it mixed re your issue. But my statement holds, read the question carefully.

Are you referring to the MA LTC renewal application FA-25/26? If so, which question are you referring to?

All of them. The questions are carefully worded to be traps. Traps that a lot of people get caught up by. So read them carefully.

Back
Top Bottom