• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC Renewal Procedure?

S&WMan

NES Member
Sorry if this has been covered, but I did a search and couldn't find anything to help.

What is the procedure for renewing the LTC in MA.
Do I wait for a renewal notice or do I get the renewal form at the local PD?
Thanks for the help.
John

Some police departments do the whole thing online, so for them there is no need to fill out the paper form.

Some police departments do the whole thing online, so for them there is no need to fill out the paper form.

Really?

Do you show up at the DOR office on April 15th and expect the staff to do your taxes for you, too? [rolleyes]

Scrivener:

No paper form was used when I applied for renewal in Wayland last year.

+1 for me as well. I made an appointment with the Bolton PD, they completed the renewal application on-line while I sat there and provided the necessary info, then they took a digital photo and I was good to go.

If you go the paperless route, make sure you have all the necessary details of any past reportable criminal, substance abuse, or mental health history.

Failure to accurately report this history can be the basis of a denial of your LTC/FID, and, in an extreme case, could result in a prosecution against you for perjury.

Darius

Again, going in to file an electronic app w/o a hard copy to refer to qualifies one to be a poster-child for unpreparedness. [slap]

I will bet both of the above posters that they each failed to get a copy of the MIRCS app before they left, meaning they had NO documentation of what was actually filed. Do you throw away your tax returns, too?

Many have learned that the hard way....... [rolleyes]

Scrivener:

You know, you really could say that without the insults. You could have said "you really should fill out the form and bring a copy and here's why..." You've got good reasons, so explain them without insulting people.

Last edited:
Scrivener:

You know, you really could say that without the insults. You could have said "you really should fill out the form and bring a copy and here's why..." You've got good reasons, so explain them without insulting people.

I did and I have. Some just can't grasp the concept.

In an effort to prevent the willfully obtuse from spreading their information further, it is sometimes necessary to make the point in a more memorable and forceful manner.

If it saves just one license, isn't it worth it? [wink]

Obviously it makes sense to fill out a paper application, or prepare some notes with the required information, ahead of time if you need to provide detail on a history of confinement for mental illness or you have such a long list of felonies that you might slip up and forget to list one. For the rest of us, those and similar questions don't present problems, and I don't find it particularly difficult to provide answers from memory to such tricky questions as my date of birth or my mother's maiden name. YMMV.

That said (and to avoid being categorized [again, I guess] as "willfully obtuse"), in his own warm and friendly manner Keith makes a good point that you really should get a copy of what's actually submitted to the state. I neglected to do that, but I was also in a situation where I have lived in the same very green town for a lot of years, was renewing my LTC-A/ALP for the fourth (I think) time, and personally knew the officer filling out the application. And my renewal came through, admittedly a bit slowly, with no problems. Still, mistakes can be made and it's better to catch any potential problems early.

Call your local PD and ask them. Yeah, there's a set template
of stuff you "need" and nothing more, as I'm sure Scriv has told
you, but it's best to have a chat with the licensing officer so you
know what to expect ahead of time.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom