LTC Renewal in Lexington - called for an in-person meeting

I got my LTC in a different town where I used to live. When I moved to Lexington I filed the paperwork for address change, had to mail it to three places if memory serves. I am renewing in Lexington for the first time. Just got a call asking me to come in person. I am not aware of any events that would have disqualified me. I was under the impression that renewal in the absence of disquifying events is more or less automatic. Is this just a Lexington thing, or is it a warning sign? Should I be concerned?

I believe this is a standard operating procedure. When I renewed (different town then when originally licensed) I had a formal interview that was a laid back conversation while the officer typed away in his system. You should be GTG.

Maybe it's done town by town, but I've always had to go in to do the renewal in person. They used to do fingerprints every time but now that they're in the electronic system they don't even do that anymore. Still I have to go in and have my picture taken and then the licensing officer fills out the paperwork online I give them the money and I'm out the door.

The license shows up sooner or later

Do you really think they would automatically renew anybody in this state? Of course you have to go in person. They take a new picture and a take your hundred dollars. I have never heard of them just sending you a new license just to be nice.

I got my LTC in a different town where I used to live. When I moved to Lexington I filed the paperwork for address change, had to mail it to three places if memory serves. I am renewing in Lexington for the first time. Just got a call asking me to come in person. I am not aware of any events that would have disqualified me. I was under the impression that renewal in the absence of disquifying events is more or less automatic. Is this just a Lexington thing, or is it a warning sign? Should I be concerned?

A "renewal" isn't any different from a first time application, except:

• no new fingerprints
  • don't need to take the safety course again (unless you live in Watertown)
  • don't need to supply letters of endorsement/recommendation (generally, if they even asked the first time)
You still need to have your picture taken and give them money and (this is important) GET A RECEIPT.

Every renewal for me required an in person visit. Not an interview, but just going over the info as they input to the system. If everything is in there already the same, it's just verifying it before they submit.

I just renewed in Wayland. I dropped off a copy of my renewal form with the dispatcher on Saturday. On Tuesday I received the receipt by mail. Some weeks later I got a call from the dispatcher telling me my new LTC was ready to be picked up.

I have lived in this town for almost 30 years and had an LTC for most of that time.

Danvers was easy. No pic, no prints and no interview. Dropped the paperwork off at the desk on a Saturday morning, turned around and walked out

Same in Waltham (original and renewal same city) - need personal "interview", although I have to admit the it finally clicked in Waltham's CoP's brain and since changing to Green town a few years ago, the process is easy and friendly. No complaints whatsoever.

Conversely...I just renewed my UT OOS, watched an idiotic suicide prevention video on YouTube, checked a box confirming that I watched it, filled out my info online, uploaded a 'passport' picture that I took myself on my cell phone, paid $25, and it's all set.

My town.....city [angry] does not have an interview, either for issue or renewal, AFAIK. I never had one, and neither kid did for FIDs. Drop off app, come back for pix and prints on a Thursday, get it eventually.

Each town does it differently. Check with the town's PD website, and see if there are any published details.

Amazing how different Massachusetts towns are.
I’ve never had a renewal without a personal interview.
My wife just got hers renewed and no new photograph
was taken. They just use her current drivers license photo.
Also my town used to require letters of recommendation
upon renewal which has now been canceled. That’s nice, fill
out the application, go in, basically just go over the information done.

I went in for an interview today. The process was painless and friendly. The officer gave some good tips about securing the guns when not in use and practicing because marksmanship is a perishable skill. Overall so far it was a positive experience.

A "renewal" isn't any different from a first time application, except:

• no new fingerprints
  • don't need to take the safety course again (unless you live in Watertown)
  • don't need to supply letters of endorsement/recommendation (generally, if they even asked the first time)
You still need to have your picture taken and give them money and (this is important) GET A RECEIPT.

Just renewed in Lexington. They *did* take fingerprints again. And while letters of reference weren't required, they did require the name and contact info of two recommenders.

Just renewed in Lexington. They *did* take fingerprints again. And while letters of reference weren't required, they did require the name and contact info of two recommenders.

The two names of references are part of the state form, the town can’t avoid those.

Interesting they took fingerprints again.

Same in Waltham (original and renewal same city) - need personal "interview", although I have to admit the it finally clicked in Waltham's CoP's brain and since changing to Green town a few years ago, the process is easy and friendly. No complaints whatsoever.

Conversely...I just renewed my UT OOS, watched an idiotic suicide prevention video on YouTube, checked a box confirming that I watched it, filled out my info online, uploaded a 'passport' picture that I took myself on my cell phone, paid $25, and it's all set.

And if the above wasn't "easy" enough - the above mentioned online renewal was done on 10/22 in the evening, I received my new license in the mail today. Three freaking business days.

Back
Top Bottom