• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC renewal in Boston

X14478

NES Member
Has anyone in Boston renewed their LTC recently? I am wondering if there still is a shooting test at Moon Island, and how soon did you renew before your license expired, and did you get restrictions lifted? My LTC will expire in November and I was thinking submit my application in May.

No Moon Island BS.

I submitted mine. It is very easy to upload it online.

Here is their Email. Follow the steps. Contact them for the attachment and link:
[email protected]

RENEWALS: Processing renewal applicants will be done remotely. Applicants must submit:

1. Completed Application

2. COPY OF Expired or expiring LTC/FID

3. COPY OF Valid Massachusetts driver’s license or Massachusetts ID

4. Proof of payment.

As long as your renewal is processed prior to your expiration date, your LTC/FID will not expire. Your card will remain active. You will receive your card in the mail. The process usually takes several weeks.

PAYMENT: The fee for LTC / FID applications is $100 dollars, payable on-line at: boston.gov/police-payments Complete all relevant fields. To select the amount to pay, click the pull down box marked “Stored Items” and choose “Firearm & FID - $100” Print a copy of your payment receipt before leaving the site. If you are mailing or dropping off your application, you can pay by check or money order payable to the City of Boston. DO NOT SEND CASH!!! Renewal applicants 70 year old and over are free – no payment form needed.

 UPLOAD, MAIL OR DROP OFF: The completed LTC / FID application, payment receipt, and verifying documents can be uploaded to the secure website here. The documents can be sent via US Mail to: Boston Police Licensing Unit, 1 Schroeder Plaza, Boston, MA 02120. You can also drop the information in the locked mailbox marked “Firearm Licensing” located at the front door of Boston Police Headquarters, 1 Schroeder Plaza, Boston. NO CASH!

Call the Licensing Unit with any questions - 617.343.4425

Thank you for your cooperation

Boston Police Licensing Unit

My Boston license will expire on 2/23/23. I started the renewal process in mid-October, got a confirmation that my application was approved in late December, now waiting for the actual license.
There is no shooting test at Moon Island. Testing was suspended during the pandemic and has not resumed. Your new license will be unrestricted.

Adding ... for a renewal you can ignore the references.

I submitted my renewal 6 months early.

Restrictions are no longer a thing in MA. Your license will be without restrictions or denied.

I was pretty sure they did away with shooting test, but I just wanted to confirm. I really didn’t mind the shooting test kind of fun to be outside. I will start the process six months out . Thanks everybody for your input.

What a difference from years past, excellent.
Yes. Boston might be the easiest place to renew now. 100% online.

All they need to do is make the form easy to fill online. It was taking me too long so I printed it and scanned it.

i hate the shooting test. last time was in December time. i worn . jeans, shirt, sweater and a jacket. still cold. didn't score as i wanted but passing the minimum requirement . XD . i don't mind the shooting test in the spring or summer time..

i hate the shooting test. last time was in December time. i worn . jeans, shirt, sweater and a jacket. still cold. didn't score as i wanted but passing the minimum requirement . XD . i don't mind the shooting test in the spring or summer time..
Boston no longer has a shooting test

Does anyone know if the shooting test at Moon Island has been reinstated?
Post #2 has an Email, they will send you the requirements for renewal / new.

I don't think it has.

No Moon Island BS.

I submitted mine. It is very easy to upload it online.

Here is their Email. Follow the steps. Contact them for the attachment and link:
[email protected]

RENEWALS: Processing renewal applicants will be done remotely. Applicants must submit:

1. Completed Application

2. COPY OF Expired or expiring LTC/FID

3. COPY OF Valid Massachusetts driver’s license or Massachusetts ID

4. Proof of payment.

As long as your renewal is processed prior to your expiration date, your LTC/FID will not expire. Your card will remain active. You will receive your card in the mail. The process usually takes several weeks.

PAYMENT: The fee for LTC / FID applications is $100 dollars, payable on-line at: boston.gov/police-payments Complete all relevant fields. To select the amount to pay, click the pull down box marked “Stored Items” and choose “Firearm & FID - $100” Print a copy of your payment receipt before leaving the site. If you are mailing or dropping off your application, you can pay by check or money order payable to the City of Boston. DO NOT SEND CASH!!! Renewal applicants 70 year old and over are free – no payment form needed.

 UPLOAD, MAIL OR DROP OFF: The completed LTC / FID application, payment receipt, and verifying documents can be uploaded to the secure website here. The documents can be sent via US Mail to: Boston Police Licensing Unit, 1 Schroeder Plaza, Boston, MA 02120. You can also drop the information in the locked mailbox marked “Firearm Licensing” located at the front door of Boston Police Headquarters, 1 Schroeder Plaza, Boston. NO CASH!

Call the Licensing Unit with any questions - 617.343.4425

Thank you for your cooperation

Boston Police Licensing Unit
When I call the licensing dept., the answering machine keeps repeating over and over to enter your name and number and they will get back to you. And the email came back to me as not a valid address. Any suggestions? Anyone else had this problem????

When I call the licensing dept., the answering machine keeps repeating over and over to enter your name and number and they will get back to you. And the email came back to me as not a valid address. Any suggestions? Anyone else had this problem????
Weird. When I did my renewal the answering machine said to Email them. That is what I did.

Maybe they changed it.

Yup. I called a month after my application and got the same run-around with vmail and bounced emails. I'll try once more and then plan a trip to the police station to speak with a human.

Yup. I called a month after my application and got the same run-around with vmail and bounced emails. I'll try once more and then plan a trip to the police station to speak with a human.
Thinly disguised bureaucratic backlash from Bruen? We all know that our liberal overlords are extremely unhappy with that SCOTUS decision.

I just called Boston PD and told the guy that answered the phone I was trying to reach the licensing department and he laughed and said 'you mean where the message just plays over and over?' I said oh, you know about that? Maybe they'll fix it? He laughs again and said 'this is the Boston PD, not likely'. I replied, well, you work for them. And he says 'there ya go'. Then he transferred me to the hackney license office. At least he was nice.......

So I spoke with Comm2a. Apparently they've filed a lawsuit about this very thing. The only option for now is to hand deliver directly to the PD. To those who were able to get through or to not have their emails bounce back, you were lucky.

So I spoke with Comm2a. Apparently they've filed a lawsuit about this very thing. The only option for now is to hand deliver directly to the PD. To those who were able to get through or to not have their emails bounce back, you were lucky.
Wow, what?

Dude, I renewed not long ago, WTF did Boston PD do since I renewed until now?

I am curious to understand what happened.

Last edited:

I had the exact same issue. Still cant get a straight answer. Can I pay online and just drop off app in person with receipt?

Wow, what?

Dude, I renewed not ling ago, WTF did Boston PD do since I renewed until now?

I am curious to understand what happened.
Boston renewals are handled online. No appointment necessary, no interaction with BPD staff, license was mailed to me.

Boston renewals are handled online. No appointment necessary, no interaction with BPD staff, license was mailed to me.
Same thing here in Haverhill. Mailed the application. About a month later, I got a phone call from a detective. He asked me to meet him at the police station so he could hand me my LTC. He wanted to see me in person to sign an affidavit about stolen guns or something. Never heard of that. Must be something new. FWIW, never had a gun stolen from me. Nobody that I know of ever had one stolen either.

Back
Top Bottom