• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC Renewal/First time applicant background check hold??!?!?

BillyBoy

NES Member
Guys,

Second weekend of March I decided to head up to my LPD to start the renewal process for my LTC since it was going to expire April 25th. It was a pretty painless procedure and at the end of the meeting the officer told me it would be in 4-8 weeks.

Let's fast forward to present date now. It's been just over two months and still haven't heard from them. So I called the station and spoke to the officer who handles the firearm licensing. He said that he still hasn't received it yet from Boston.

Couple days later I went to go pick up a part I ordered at one of the gun stores I do business at. A good friend of mine was working that day and I mentioned to him my situation and he stated that there is a temporary hold on all background checks and that I probably got stuck in the queue with that. I asked him what it was for and when this hold would be lifted. He said all he knew was that there was a hold on background checks and didnt know anything else.

Wanted to see if anyone on here knows anything about this background check hold? If my LTC is held up in Boston, who could I contact in Boston to find out what's going on with it? This is becoming quite and inconvenience for me.

I can't imagine why they would even put a hold on them. Especially since so many jobs and things rely on them so much.

Is it common for a renewal to take longer than 8 weeks?!?!?

No, but yes. They don't all take that long (some folks get them in under 2 weeks start to finish) and a lot of times people here discover it was really the PD's fault if they go long but there may be something gumming up the works down there in Chelsea. I am in the renewal from hell right now and I know my PD is solid and didn't hold it. He hit submit right there while I was in his office. It should take like a week from there. It has been almost three (on top of some other BS from my past PD which extends that +5 which is 8 weeks total and counting).

The mere fact that the application was sent via MIRCS does NOT mean the PD is not sitting on the APPROVAL or the actual issuance of the license.

The mere fact that the application was sent via MIRCS does NOT mean the PD is not sitting on the APPROVAL or the actual issuance of the license.

No, but the fact that he told me last week he hasn't seen it in his queue yet does. Like I said, in my case my LO is actually one of the good guys and he sent me an email last week letting me know he was still looking out for it.

I applied at the end of march and got my license 6 weeks later. So their could not be a hold on all back ground checks in that time period.

I live in a small, gun-friendly town in north central MA.
My renewal ate up 60 of my 90 day grace period and took 16 weeks from the date the application was filed.
Don't know if the state sends them out in batches to towns, but it shouldn't take 16 weeks to process.

Back
Top Bottom