• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC Renewal Fingerprinting?

squatritoa

NES Member
Please excuse me, but this is my first time renewing my license. When I dropped off my application with the front desk officer at the station he mentioned to schedule fingerprinting, but I though that was only required for an initial application not renewal. Was he just repeating the same information he tells everyone, or is this required for renewals also?

Depends on your town’s level of douchebaggery. By making it a pain in the ass, they eliminate a certain percentage of renewals, it is as simple as that.

Where are you? In Littleton and in my home town in Acton they do a full set for each renewal. May be a state requirement in case you've grown new fingers. They may soon do your toes and the tip of your pecker also. Jack.

I hope I have a female cop for my next renewal. lol

Mine just said your fingerprints are already on file, no worries
yeah, same with me. seems like since they started taking the print with the digital scanner i never had to do it again. got to be 15-20 years now when i did the one and done i'm guessing. back in the days of actually rolling the print on paper with ink, that was every renewal.

Same. No pic either.

Just did my interview in Tewksbury about a week ago. Last time no prints were needed but this time took a pic and new prints were taken. I assumed it was because they had updated their print process to the electronic style instead of ink.

I did ask if I needed a print card made up for an out of state agency to use, if the electronic prints could work and was told to get the card and they would do the ink smear method.

No prints here in Malden, but they do take a new pic every time. Pic setup is right at the desk when they put the app in the computer, so no wasted time there.

I just called the police department today and left a message for the person in charge of the fingerprinting. My fingerprints are clearly in the database already, But whatever they want so they will just approve the renewal!

Just another way to enlongate the process................if that's a word.

Yes, it is:

proc·ess1
/ˈpräˌses,ˈprōˌses/
noun
noun: process; plural noun: processes
  1. 1.
    a series of actions or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end.
    "military operations could jeopardize the peace process"
    h
    Similar:
    procedure

operation

action

activity

exercise

affair

business

job

task

undertaking

proceeding
    • a natural or involuntary series of changes.
      "the aging process"
    • a systematic series of mechanized or chemical operations that are performed in order to produce or manufacture something.
      "the modern block printer needs to accommodate all the traditional factory processes in one shop"
      h
      Similar:
      method

procedure

system

technique

means

practice

way

approach

• Computing
      a series of interdependent operations carried out by computer.
    • Printing
      relating to or denoting printing using ink in three colors (cyan, magenta, and yellow) and black to produce a complete range of color.
      modifier noun: process
      "process inks"
  2. 2.
    Law
    a summons or writ requiring a person to appear in court.
    h
    Similar:
    summons

writ

subpoena

citation

3. 3.
    Biology•Anatomy
    a natural appendage or outgrowth on or in an organism, such as a protuberance on a bone.
verb
verb: process; 3rd person present: processes; past tense: processed; past participle: processed; gerund or present participle: processing
  1. perform a series of mechanical or chemical operations on (something) in order to change or preserve it.
    "the various stages in processing the wool"
    • deal with (someone) using an official and established procedure.
      "the immigration authorities who processed him"
      h
      Similar:
      deal with

attend to

see to

sort out

handle

take care of

action

organize

manage

• Computing
      operate on (computer data) by means of a program.
    • another term for conk3.
Phrases
be in the process of doing something
be continuing with an action already started. "a hurricane that was in the process of devastating South Carolina"
in the process
as an unintended part of a course of action. "she would make him pay for this, even if she killed herself in the process"
in process of time
as time goes on.

Origin
7b66f080ffde51cf7a3a6c438115edf6439116d1c23080b288bef26408f33f7e.png

Middle English: from Old French proces, from Latin processus ‘progression, course’, from the verb procedere (see proceed). Current senses of the verb date from the late 19th century.

pro·cess2
/prəˈses/
verb
verb: process; 3rd person present: processes; past tense: processed; past participle: processed; gerund or present participle: processing
  1. walk or march in procession.
    "they processed down the aisle"
Origin
6bbd0538dcad47f4ec4faefb0bd5bb0f8eb0209c612bdbf3062b82a2575249dc.png

early 19th century: back-formation from procession.

Translate process to

Use over time for: process

Varies by both the town and by who's doing it that day. When I renewed mine, no fingerprints. When my wife renewed a month later, they tried to take them, couldn't get them, and said "Well, we've got them from last time."

Depends on your town’s level of douchebaggery. By making it a pain in the ass, they eliminate a certain percentage of renewals, it is as simple as that.

Meh. Took about two minutes as part of the renewal appointment. Hardly a huge barrier and if two minutes discourages you, never try to call Verizon support ...

R

Meh. Took about two minutes as part of the renewal appointment. Hardly a huge barrier and if two minutes discourages you, never try to call Verizon support ...

R
I think you missed my point entirely. There is no practical reason to do it. None whatsoever. That leaves only one other possible reason I can think of... wait for it... “because we can”
Hence my determination of douchebaggery.

I think you missed my point entirely. There is no practical reason to do it. None whatsoever. That leaves only one other possible reason I can think of... wait for it... “because we can”
Hence my determination of douchebaggery.

a) fingerprints change over time.
b) fingerprint gathering technology improves

So, you know, there couldn’t be ANY reason except “douchebaggery”. /sarc

Right, so I guess I am convinced. For the “greater good” I should be perfectly happy to jump through any hoops, wait any length of time, perform any tests, subject myself to any whim, so that I may be allowed to avail myself of my constitutional rights, or at least a small portion of those rights that my benevolent overlords deem appropriate based on whatever arbitrary criteria they see fit.

Now that I say it out loud, it sounds perfectly reasonable.

Back to fingerprints specifically, exactly how does having someone’s fingerprints on file effect their ability to participate in criminal activities, or aid others in that pursuit? Maybe, maybe, I would concede that there might be something to doing it the first time so the state could check you are who you say you are, and you are not already in their system under a different alias, and are indeed a criminal. However, in order to concede that, I would have to first concede that licensing in the first place was reasonable, which it is not

Bring 2 forms of ID, fill out this form, allow us to fingerprint you, pay this fee, wait an unreasonable amount of time to do all of this, during this very specific, probably inconvenient, and inflexible time window, and then wait an unreasonable amount of time for us to process your renewal and produce a new card for you. Yup, it all checks out.

All of this, and none of it prevents anyone from obtaining firearms illegally, or using firearms in an illegal act.

Anything extra, anything at all, is simply requiring you to kiss the ring. It is that simple.

C. 140 MGL ONLY requires prints to be taken ONCE since 1998. They are kept on file and run each time you renew. I can understand if a PD (or MSP) convert to electronic prints, that they MIGHT request redoing them one more time in that format as they are easier to "find" for renewals that way than paper cards.

That said, PDs make up their own rules and short of taking a few years and paying $xK to a lawyer to "prove them wrong", it is much cheaper and expedient to just go along which is what damn near everyone does. Thus, some require live fire, some require the target from live fire, some require doctors' letters, some require taking another course every renewal, some require joining a gun club, etc. They know that they can get away with it, so they do it. Comm2A has beaten down some of this bullshit, but more crops up all the time (reminds me of "whack a mole").

Right, so I guess I am convinced. For the “greater good” I should be perfectly happy to jump through any hoops, wait any length of time, perform any tests, subject myself to any whim, so that I may be allowed to avail myself of my constitutional rights, or at least a small portion of those rights that my benevolent overlords deem appropriate based on whatever arbitrary criteria they see fit.

Now that I say it out loud, it sounds perfectly reasonable.

You’re putting your emotional knee jerk words in my mouth. You can stop now.

I said “Took about two minutes as part of the renewal appointment”

Back to fingerprints specifically, exactly how does having someone’s fingerprints on file effect their ability to participate in criminal activities, or aid others in that pursuit? Maybe, maybe, I would concede that there might be something to doing it the first time so the state could check you are who you say you are, and you are not already in their system under a different alias, and are indeed a criminal. However, in order to concede that, I would have to first concede that licensing in the first place was reasonable, which it is not

Bring 2 forms of ID, fill out this form, allow us to fingerprint you, pay this fee, wait an unreasonable amount of time to do all of this, during this very specific, probably inconvenient, and inflexible time window, and then wait an unreasonable amount of time for us to process your renewal and produce a new card for you. Yup, it all checks out.

All of this, and none of it prevents anyone from obtaining firearms illegally, or using firearms in an illegal act.

Anything extra, anything at all, is simply requiring you to kiss the ring. It is that simple.

I can only speak to my experience, in my town, and the base line on appointments was “any day between mid morning and 3 pm.” I got the impression the LO would have been accommodating if I needed an evening or weekend time, but I didn’t, so it never came up.

Wring your hands all you want about how an LTC infringes, but it won’t change a damned thing and I appreciate the EASE with which the process was handled. It was easier than getting a Real ID DL, for Christ’s sake.

Len commented on the switch from ink pad to electronic prints. I remember getting ink pad printed when I first got my LTC; I don’t recall if I was ever reprinted in the nerve I got time. I don’t remember it, so maybe not, or “who remembers this gross violation of my basic human rights [sic]” over 6 year intervals.

Either way, there’s seventeen metric *sstons of better sh*t to get my undies in a twist over than a print scan. And with that, I’m out. Dumb argument.

R

Back
Top Bottom