• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC renewal experience - is Malden just odd?

After reading the other thread today about LTC applications it raised some questions of my own that others might find interesting, but i didn't want to hijack the other thread.

I got the form letter reminder from the state about "hurry, renew your license early!" two months ago so decided I should get a jump on things. My current LTC expires in August so I went in last month to submit my renewal application and get things rolling. That's when it got strange. I was told (after everything was entered into the computer and my check taken) that the paperwork wouldn't be submitted to the state until August because "you can't have two licenses at the same time" and "don't worry, there's a 90 day grace period".

Is that normal to have them sit on your renewal like that? Anyone have a similar experience in Malden or in any other town? I'm not particularly worried, just thought it was odd and worth sharing.

I don't have personal experience with this but I swear I have read on here of people having their new license tucked away in their safe until the old one expired. Not sure if something has changed but that sounds odd to me.

They're just blowing smoke up your ass because they're lazy and they don't want to process the license until they have to. The "you can't have two at once" thing is absurd, there's no restriction on renewing
early, as far as I know. (unless CJIS has some edict about it, but given that they sent you the notice, I would imagine that you are within the timeframe that they consider comfortable. Did you get a receipt when you processed the renewal? That's all that really matters.

-Mike

After reading the other thread today about LTC applications it raised some questions of my own that others might find interesting, but i didn't want to hijack the other thread.

I got the form letter reminder from the state about "hurry, renew your license early!" two months ago so decided I should get a jump on things. My current LTC expires in August so I went in last month to submit my renewal application and get things rolling. That's when it got strange. I was told (after everything was entered into the computer and my check taken) that the paperwork wouldn't be submitted to the state until August because "you can't have two licenses at the same time" and "don't worry, there's a 90 day grace period".

Is that normal to have them sit on your renewal like that? Anyone have a similar experience in Malden or in any other town? I'm not particularly worried, just thought it was odd and worth sharing.

Well, the 90 grace period is BS.

As long as you submitted the paperwork before your LTC expired (which you did), it's good until it's either approved or denied.

Also, did they give you a receipt at the time you submitted the paperwork, or do they plan on mailing one to you once they submit the paperwork to the FRB?

They're just blowing smoke up your ass because they're lazy and they don't want to process the license until they have to. The "you can't have two at once" thing is absurd, there's no restriction on renewing
early, as far as I know. (unless CJIS has some edict about it, but given that they sent you the notice, I would imagine that you are within the timeframe that they consider comfortable. Did you get a receipt when you processed the renewal? That's all that really matters.

-Mike

Color me naive, but I didn't get a receipt or even think to ask for one. I do have a copy of the cleared check though. Will follow u with the state in a week or so to see if they were just giving me a line and it's been submitted. I'm not hugely concerned yet, but this is my first renewal so I could just be setting myself up to be burned.

That 90 grace period doesn't help much if you want to buy a new gun or ammo... Most dealers see it is expired and drop it like it's hot.

As long as you submitted the paperwork before your LTC expired (which you did), it's good until it's either approved or denied.

Also, did they give you a receipt at the time you submitted the paperwork, or do they plan on mailing one to you once they submit the paperwork to the FRB?

Doesn't the application technically need to be entered into MIRCS before your current license expires for the grace period to cover you? If so, I would make sure they actually enter it on time!

That 90 grace period doesn't help much if you want to buy a new gun or ammo... Most dealers see it is expired and drop it like it's hot.

I'd agree with the firearm as once the LTC is expired, the MIRCS won't take it for the dealer's FA10. Ammo, most shops probably don't eyeball it that closely.

As for the OP, I'd go back to Malden and start hassling them about getting it processed now and getting a receipt for your application. They're jerking you around and there's no valid reason to do it.

I'd agree with the firearm as once the LTC is expired, the MIRCS won't take it for the dealer's FA10. Ammo, most shops probably don't eyeball it that closely.

As for the OP, I'd go back to Malden and start hassling them about getting it processed now and getting a receipt for your application. They're jerking you around and there's no valid reason to do it.

There were rumors that CJIS was supposed to fix this bullshit (expired LTC lockout for licenses pending renewal) as a part of the law change but I am unsure if this ever actually happened. It's possible there's some kind of a workaround for it, may be worth calling them....

-Mike

NOT TRUE! See below.

Doesn't the application technically need to be entered into MIRCS before your current license expires for the grace period to cover you? If so, I would make sure they actually enter it on time!

This is true, but it's not "technically" it's reality. If it is not entered in MIRCS PRIOR to expiration you have NO grace period at all. And sadly this isn't something that you or I can control.

I've had this discussion with Michaela and the MIRCS system was updated to accept as valid any expired LTC with an "in process" (if done prior to expiration) status renewal application.

Any new LTC issued shows you UPCOMING birthday as the day it becomes valid so you do not have 2 valid LTCs at the same time.

The PD is either being lazy and ignorant or they are intentionally screwing their residents, but they are 100% WRONG in their actions.

NOT TRUE! See below.

This is true, but it's not "technically" it's reality. If it is not entered in MIRCS PRIOR to expiration you have NO grace period at all. And sadly this isn't something that you or I can control.

I've had this discussion with Michaela and the MIRCS system was updated to accept as valid any expired LTC with an "in process" (if done prior to expiration) status renewal application.

Any new LTC issued shows you UPCOMING birthday as the day it becomes valid so you do not have 2 valid LTCs at the same time.

The PD is either being lazy and ignorant or they are intentionally screwing their residents, but they are 100% WRONG in their actions.

Then the info on the receipt is misleading...

*Chapter 284 of the Acts of 2014, sections 36 and 54 respectively, creates an indefinite grace period for FID card and LTC licensees
who submit a renewal application to their licensing authority prior to the expiration of their current license. The current card/license
will remain valid after the expiration date of the card/license until the application for renewal is either approved or denied

http://www.virtualnorfolk.org/publi...ocs/F000193A1/LTC_FIDCardReceipt-fillable.pdf

The PDs have or should have the "official form" that serves as a receipt and proof that you applied for the renewal. Jack.

There's one at the above link.

Last edited:
Probably just more MA backdoor gun control, period.... Maybe a whispered wink-wink policy of "F*ck with them any way you can"... Piss them off. Maybe they'll even write a nasty letter or, better yet, they'll call the police station and go ballistic or say something that can be interpreted as "threatening" on a recorded line, etc etc etc... Even better, stall them long enough and they might get hit by a bus or a truck and then we can just trash the application.... Etc.

Not saying that's the case, but would it surprise you? (Interestingly, having lived there 20 years, Malden has always been known as a "pretty good town" for the MA LTC bullsh*t "process").

http://www.virtualnorfolk.org/publi...ocs/F000193A1/LTC_FIDCardReceipt-fillable.pdf

There's one at the above link.

So what else is new!

Not a problem in my town, according to some prior students they don't issue that receipt.

CJIS couldn't have created a more useless and inconvenient form. 8.5x11 and you have to carry it everywhere, it'll look like shredded confetti before you get your new LTC. If they really wanted to do this right it would be the size of a business card/credit card so it would fit in your wallet and not be destroyed in a month. If by some miracle I or my Wife were issued one of these forms, I'd photo reduce the crap out of it and carry that around.

*Chapter 284 of the Acts of 2014, sections 36 and 54 respectively, creates an indefinite grace period for FID card and LTC licensees
who submit a renewal application to their licensing authority prior to the expiration of their current license. The current card/license
will remain valid after the expiration date of the card/license until the application for renewal is either approved or denied

While that might be technically correct that there's an indefinite grace period, I'm betting in practice that means nothing. After all, if I walk in to Four Seasons with my expired LTC and a receipt and ask to buy a gun, I can only imagine the prudent course of action for the guy behind the counter would be to say "sorry sir, come back when you have a current valid LTC". After all, for all he knows, I could have been denied already or I'm part of some hidden camera sting where he's going to be shown "selling a gun to a person without a license" on some Michael Moore documentary or something.

For the record, I think Malden PD was just having an off day and feeling grumpy. Just got off the phone from DCJIS and they confirm has been issued and out for delivery to my local PD. I'll give them a few weeks and then make some follow-up calls to the station to see when I'll get my little plastic permission slip.

I renewed about 8 months ago and I got my new license before the old one expired. The date of issue on teh new one is the same as the date of expiration on the old one.

After all, if I walk in to Four Seasons with my expired LTC and a receipt and ask to buy a gun, I can only imagine the prudent course of action for the guy behind the counter would be to say "sorry sir, come back when you have a current valid LTC".
Carl is one of the good guys.. Some shops (Stoneham comes literally immediately to mind) would tell you to completely "F*ck off and come back when you have a valid license. Actually don't come back cuz we don't want your friggin business all that much anyways"... Probably even pepper spray you if you gave em a what they term" wise-ass" rebuttal.

Someone is Bullshitting you. I got the same reminder from the state, and applied for renewal early. My renewed card came through in May, even though my "Date of Issue" on the new card, is my birthday which is in August. Now I have both cards, which leaves me with some questions also. But I can tell you that the state does not "sit" on your renewal. If it is being delayed, then it is the local authority who is delaying. My application was submitted by my local chief and it went through the state system in about six weeks. Did you ask the person why they thought the state would be reminding you to renew early if they intended to sit on your application (pretty stupid thinking on their part).

My question now is this: Is this new card valid RIGHT NOW, even though I have it in my possession BEFORE the "Date of Issue" which is presented on the new card? (the new card comes with a new pass code of course).

Someone is Bullshitting you. I got the same reminder from the state, and applied for renewal early. My renewed card came through in May, even though my "Date of Issue" on the new card, is my birthday which is in August. Now I have both cards, which leaves me with some questions also. But I can tell you that the state does not "sit" on your renewal. If it is being delayed, then it is the local authority who is delaying. My application was submitted by my local chief and it went through the state system in about six weeks. Did you ask the person why they thought the state would be reminding you to renew early if they intended to sit on your application (pretty stupid thinking on their part).

My question now is this: Is this new card valid RIGHT NOW, even though I have it in my possession BEFORE the "Date of Issue" which is presented on the new card? (the new card comes with a new pass code of course).

What does "Date of Issue" mean to you? [rolleyes]

It is not valid until the "date of issue" printed on it. Just lock it up with your guns until your birthday.

Some cities/towns have their own funky renewal rules.

In the past Chicopee would not allow you to make an appointment for your renewal more than 30 days before your current license expired. They have recently extended it to 90 days as they have been swamped with applications for people trying to beat the new live fire course requirement going into effect.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom