• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC# recorded for ammo purchase?

I was just at Dicks sporting goods and I bought a bunch of ammo because they are having a buy one get one half off sale, and when I paid, the cashier took my LTC like they normally would just to verify that I could legally purchase the ammo, then afterwards her computer prompted her to take down the ID# on my licence. This has never happened before, usually the cashier just looks at the LTC and goes forward with the transaction. Is there some new ammo registry in the state or do you guys think it could be because of the sale with a 8 box limit to make sure I didn't go back to get more later?

Dickless has been doing this for a few years. Do a search, there are prior threads on this.

Best to avoid Dickless!!

Dickless has been doing this for a few years. Do a search, there are prior threads on this.

Best to avoid Dickless!!
It must not have been all of them because I had just bought ammo from them a couple months ago and they didn't do it... In any event, I think I will be shopping elsewhere.

You purchased to much ammo,and they will report you to the AG. They will also report you to your local police who will send the SWAT team out to your house,and shoot your dog take away your guns and LTC.You will end up in jail with a big guy who will become your boy friend. Well then again Dick's Dedham does that all the time.[laugh]

Last edited:
The last time I bought ammo from Dicks the girl behind the register tried to type in my LTC # and I asked for it back before she had the 3rd # in. I told her I don't consent to it being recorded and she sold me the ammo anyhow.

/
I was just at Dicks sporting goods and I bought a bunch of ammo because they are having a buy one get one half off sale, and when I paid, the cashier took my LTC like they normally would just to verify that I could legally purchase the ammo, then afterwards her computer prompted her to take down the ID# on my licence. This has never happened before, usually the cashier just looks at the LTC and goes forward with the transaction. Is there some new ammo registry in the state or do you guys think it could be because of the sale with a 8 box limit to make sure I didn't go back to get more later?

The new Dick's in Seabrook, NH doesn't ask for ID or LTC - only buy when ammo is on sale.

Only ever purchased ammo from The Dicks club in NH, none of these issues there.

I bring a copy of the regulations - they will try to tell you it's the law. Just tell them that you are required to present a license and nothing requires that they record it. A manager is usually needed but I will tell the clerk that I will read her the number but won't give the card because with the address a hacker would be know where to steal guns.
This works but is too much of a hassle unless the deal is really exceptional

Be nice, always, hold out your hand, and recover your license, simultaneously saying "manager, please." Manager can (and always has, for me) quickly override their system request for the license number. It's not required.

It has something to do with the size/type of the box you're buying.

I made the mistake of trying to purchase in Dicks (in saugus), some 223 (10rd boxes) and a bulk box of 22 (can't remember if it was 100,300,or 500 rounds) and the 223 went in fine. Asked the clerk to verify my LTC. He rang in the 22 and it asked for my LTC# and I wouldn't provide it. Asked for the manager, said it was corporate policy (better than saying it's law) and that they had to have the number to process the transaction. I asked to see the policy and he couldn't/wouldn't provide it, I told him to put all ones in and he said that the system wouldn't take it, it had to be the real number, etc, etc, etc. I managed to waste about 30 minutes of each of their time before I was like 'Keep it then' and walked out. While I was in the store specifically looking for ammo, it wasn't why I was in the area and just stopped on a whim.

I bet they do it because they are afraid the AG might come down on them or something.

DICK'S: "See madam AG. We only sell to people with a permit. I have all the permit #s for every transaction we have made."

StevensMarksman

I bet they do it because they are afraid the AG might come down on them or something.

DICK'S: "See madam AG. We only sell to people with a permit. I have all the permit #s for every transaction we have made."

StevensMarksman

Nope, they don't record LTC#s for every purchase.

As soon as I saw the title of the thread I knew it was Dicks. When they tried to do this to me I left everything there and will never go back.

Last time I tried to buy ammo at Dick's, I called and asked if they had .380.

"Sure, right here."

"Save me some," quoth I

I get there, and it's .38 special. [rolleyes]

Oh, well....it makes a good story for the Basic Pistol class, about having the right ammo for the gun. [laugh]

Thing to remember is that they're not a gun store, they're a store that sells guns. There's a difference.

I bring a copy of the regulations - they will try to tell you it's the law. Just tell them that you are required to present a license and nothing requires that they record it. A manager is usually needed but I will tell the clerk that I will read her the number but won't give the card because with the address a hacker would be know where to steal guns.
This works but is too much of a hassle unless the deal is really exceptional

Why would anyone subject themselves to that crap? It's a lot easier to not shop there.

-Mike

I have bought a lot of ammo at Dicks also. They always check my license at the gun counter in the back and then the cashier also checks it and enters all the private data that only Dicks keeps. I was told they only do it for handgun ammo (.22, 9mm, .40, .45 etc.). I have never just bout shotgun ammo there so not sure if they would record info or not. They had .22lr on sale for $2.49 per box a while back over the summer, with three box limit per day. My wife and I each went every day that week (we go past the store daily anyway) and bought 3 boxes each time. Price was right. I think the 16 year old cashiers had our license numbers memorized by mid week. I hate their policy and know several guys that wont buy ammo from them for that reason.

Today Dickies had buy one, get one 50% off on ammo (but not on .22lr which they rarely have anyway). It brought down the 9mm price per round to 22 cents a round (Winchester 100 count packs). Anything under 30 cents a round seems to be a deal these days.

[crying]

In the early 80's, I worked the sporting goods counter at Woolworth (yeah, a long time ago). These were the days of paper licenses and, as I recall, they had no photo. Back then, if we were selling ammo that could be used in a handgun, we were required to log the buyers name, address, firearms license number and type of ammo / number of boxes purchased. I don't think it was a store policy, but a regulatory requirement at the time. Hard to believe, but I think it has gotten less intrusive.

In the early 80's, I worked the sporting goods counter at Woolworth (yeah, a long time ago). These were the days of paper licenses and, as I recall, they had no photo. Back then, if we were selling ammo that could be used in a handgun, we were required to log the buyers name, address, firearms license number and type of ammo / number of boxes purchased. I don't think it was a store policy, but a regulatory requirement at the time. Hard to believe, but I think it has gotten less intrusive.

Anything more than the law requires is too intrusive.

Why would anyone subject themselves to that crap? It's a lot easier to not shop there.

-Mike

^^^^^ This!

That was Fed law that went away IIRC in 1986.

FIDs prior to 1998 did not have a picture. LTCs have had pictures on them at least since the early 1970s.

Dickless set their own policy. I'll shop elsewhere, it just isn't worth it to be in someone else's database.

I have bought a lot of ammo at Dicks also. They always check my license at the gun counter in the back and then the cashier also checks it and enters all the private data that only Dicks keeps. I was told they only do it for handgun ammo (.22, 9mm, .40, .45 etc.). I have never just bout shotgun ammo there so not sure if they would record info or not. They had .22lr on sale for $2.49 per box a while back over the summer, with three box limit per day. My wife and I each went every day that week (we go past the store daily anyway) and bought 3 boxes each time. Price was right. I think the 16 year old cashiers had our license numbers memorized by mid week. I hate their policy and know several guys that wont buy ammo from them for that reason.

Today Dickies had buy one, get one 50% off on ammo (but not on .22lr which they rarely have anyway). It brought down the 9mm price per round to 22 cents a round (Winchester 100 count packs). Anything under 30 cents a round seems to be a deal these days.

[crying]
Was stocking up on 12 gauge 00 buck during the ammo shortage (really the only thing that was plentiful then) and they took my info every time at checkout.

StevensMarksman

I'd just tell the clerk she can look at it to verify my identity, but she can't touch it or record any information because it's a felony for anyone by the license holder or a police officer to touch a LTC. No doubt she'd believe that and it's no goofier than any of their rules.

That's if I ever went to Dicks to buy ammo. They hide it behind the counter and there is never anyone at the Lodge to help you anyway.

Back
Top Bottom