LTC question

In a perfect world, anybody that was trained in the military to handle a firearm should not have to take a "Gun safety course"!!!!!

Or even have to ask for a license to own a firearm![angry]

MA law, good luck to your friend:

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131P

A current member of the United States military or the Massachusetts National Guard who has not been prohibited under said section 129B from owning a firearm and has received adequate training while serving in the military shall be exempt from being required to submit a basic firearms safety certificate to the licensing authority upon submitting a copy of the member's most current military identification form.

Part of the theory for .mil folks needing the LTC course, was so that they would be "informed" of the relevant laws. Each LTC course is supposed to do this. There's no official standard, and some do it better than others. Just look at the questions from LTC holders in the Mass Laws section.

So, that sounds to me like he does not have to take the course per the reference Sere posted.

Should not HAVE to according to what I linked and posted. Some departments want an applicant to have a primer on MA storage and transportation laws. Have your friend offer up his ID and see what happens. Look at what GPP offered just above your post. Mighty fine offer.

Good luck. Matt

I have several friends in the National Guard whose towns waived the requirement for a BFS per the MGL. That being said, every town tends to do their own thing, so recommend him asking his licensing officer in town first before he commits to a class.

I have several friends in the National Guard whose towns waived the requirement for a BFS per the MGL. That being said, every town tends to do their own thing, so recommend him asking his licensing officer in town first before he commits to a class.
What provision of MGL allows a town to waive the BFS requirement?

Posted earlier in the thread https://malegislature.gov/Laws...TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131P

Is there a gotcha?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

In this case the requirement is not "waived" it was met as they are currently in the National Guard. As per the reference given earlier, there is no option to waive the training there is just more than one way to meet the training requirement.

I recommend the individual produce his military ID card when apply for his LTC. Remember, in most cases it is illegal to photocopy a military ID card. The only exemption is if you are processing military benefits on behalf of the federal government. A LTC application is not a situation where it is ok to photocopy a military ID. In this case, if photocopied, the member and police department would be in violation of the federal law.

Last edited:
What provision of MGL allows a town to waive the BFS requirement?

The same provision that allows a town to refuse to accept a Hunter Ed Certificate!

The same provision that allows an AG to "create" new law at a press conference.

The same provision that allows MA to violate Federal laws (Heller, MacDonald, LEOSA . . . just to name a few)!

In this case the requirement is not "waived" it was met as they are currently in the National Guard. As per the reference given earlier, there is no option to waive the training there is just more than one way to meet the training requirement.

I recommend the individual produce his military ID card when apply for his LTC. Remember, in most cases it is illegal to photocopy a military ID card. The only exemption is if you are processing military benefits on behalf of the federal government. A LTC application is not a situation where it is ok to photocopy a military ID. In this case, if photocopied, the member and police department would be in violation of the federal law.

I'm certain that the PD could care less and no action would be taken against the PD. The MIL member on the other hand . . .

Back
Top Bottom