LTC Question - Moving in Massachusetts

Hi all,

I tried using the search bar to find a similiar thread but could not so bear with me if this is a repeated question please. I am going to be moving to another town in Mass soon and wanted to know if there are any extra steps I need to take when changing my address? I figured that now that I own firearms there may be an issue related to my LTC if I didn't file some sort of notice. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Certified letter to chief in town of LTC issuance; town you are moving to and firearms records bureau in Chelsea.

Official form filled out and photocopy of LTC sent to those parties actually....

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/change-of-address-notification-rev-08-20-13.pdf

While it is fine (and convenient) to use the official form, there is no statutory requirement that any particular form be used, nor is there any requirement for a photocopy of the LTC.

That form states you may call in the change to the FRB. While this does not meet the requirements of the law, the official publication of this claim would give an entrapment by estopel defense to one who relied on it and was subsequently prosecuted for not using certified mail.

Actually NO law requires use of that form or sending any copies of anything other than a letter.

While it is fine (and convenient) to use the official form, there is no statutory requirement that any particular form be used, nor is there any requirement for a photocopy of the LTC.

That form states you may call in the change to the FRB. While this does not meet the requirements of the law, the official publication of this claim would give an entrapment by estopel defense to one who relied on it and was subsequently prosecuted for not using certified mail.

Fair enough. I haven't moved in over 20 years myself. I thought the form was mandatory and when I have this discussion I tell people to use it. I guess it's not bad advice but maybe overkill. The phone in piece is also interesting. The left hand doesn't appear to know what the right hand is doing. Welcome to the Commonwealth...

Last edited:
Fair enough. I haven't moved in over 20 years myself. I thought the form was mandatory and when I have this discussion I tell people to use it. I guess it's not bad advice but maybe overkill. The phone in piece is also interesting. The left hand doesn't appear to know what the right hand is doing. Welcome to the Commonwealth...

Let me warn you about "phone ins".

Accuracy counts!

Even when I introduce myself as "Len" (and especially on the phone) many come back with "Hi Glen"! The street I live on can be spelled 4 different ways, etc. If it gets entered incorrectly some Mail may never reach the proper party and that is really not a good thing.

So don't save the $5 and do it per MGL, it might save some aggravation later.

This issue about using the online form that is not a requirement has been mentioned many times. It is just simpler and more accurate to print out the online form and fill it out than it is to write or type your own letter.

Just a few more threads on this and we'll hit 5000. Jack.

You're right, Jack. How many times have people mentioned that don't know about the online form asked what to write in the letter? Just put the online form in a sticky and point them in the right direction.

Print it out.
Fill it out.
Send by certified mail.

KISS

This issue about using the online form that is not a requirement has been mentioned many times. It is just simpler and more accurate to print out the online form and fill it out than it is to write or type your own letter.

Don't forget to include the DNA sample as well. It's really very simple to do. [rolleyes]

I understand the "convenience factor" of the "official" form.....but the constant creep, creep, creep of what is "required," bothers me.

Towns make up their own licensing requirements, and it's "go along to get along." [rolleyes]
Some towns will not accept a Hunter Ed Certificate for FID/LTC issuance, though it's specifically listed in the MGLs that it's valid....and it's OK, cause you should take a real course anyways....[rolleyes]

If the form is not required by MGLs, don't feed the beast. I wonder....if there was a second page, or, even better, a space between the top of the form, and the "place LTC here, and photocopy" notation for a listing of all of your currently owned guns, how many people would fill that out? My guess....plenty. 'Cause it's an official form!

Be safe, and wise: through the mail and certified because if you can't prove it was done, it was not done.

Back
Top Bottom