• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ltc pending status question

Submitted application 9 months ago. Called to check on status today and was told it is "pending review by local police department " can anyone tell me the meaning or where I stand in the process? Thanks...talked to another guy where I live and has been waiting about the same time.

9 months is outrageous, the Chief is giving you the finger. Call him/her PD immediately and let them know if they don't get off their asses and do their jobs you'll be contacting your selectmen, State Rep and/or a lawyer.

And getting a lawyer.
Yes, a lawyer will work, but a polite letter is a lot cheaper and still likely to get the same results.

Did you pay them and get a receipt showing that the officer entered it into the system (MIRCS)?

Submitted application 9 months ago. Called to check on status today and was told it is "pending review by local police department " can anyone tell me the meaning or where I stand in the process? Thanks...talked to another guy where I live and has been waiting about the same time.
Ok original inquiry was in draft. Latest was pending review by local police department. Can anyone clarify what this means instead of giving basic common sense suggestions or ridiculous comments?

Ok original inquiry was in draft. Latest was pending review by local police department. Can anyone clarify what this means instead of giving basic common sense suggestions or ridiculous comments?
@Len-2A Training

Len would know what that means.

No matter what it means though, I'd enquirer politely with the licensing officer. Then possibly the chief.

I would not bust balls just yet as this department could remember your attitude and may use their discretion to get you out of a jam in the future in the event you do something wrong relating to CCW.

It literally means what it says and that you should follow the common sense suggestions or suffer more ridiculous comments.

Did you pay them and get a receipt showing that the officer entered it into the system (MIRCS)? Jack

@Bob b do you have this receipt? It is important for you to know. You skipped the answer to it in post #13.

ETA @Bob b is this thread a result of your only other thread? Best of luck.

Last edited:
@Bob b do you have this receipt? It is important for you to know. You skipped the answer to it in post #13.

ETA @Bob b is this thread a result of your only other thread? Best of luck.

I sure hope not. That thread was from 2020.
I stand by my original response as to what "pending review by local police department " means.

And yes, the answer to Jack's question is important here.

I sure hope not. That thread was from 2020.
I stand by my original response as to what "pending review by local police department " means.

And yes, the answer to Jack's question is important here.
This is not the result from the past thread.i think this is the new norm in this town.I think after the shooting we had here last year they tightened thier belt in the way they issue ltc's. Just a guess. I'm know I'm not alone. Thanks for the advice and I'll update in the future.....later

This is not the result from the past thread.i think this is the new norm in this town.I think after the shooting we had here last year they tightened thier belt in the way they issue ltc's. Just a guess. I'm know I'm not alone. Thanks for the advice and I'll update in the future.....later
The COP is sitting on it, doesn't take much time to "review" your application and do a background check. You need to contact them and tell them their lack of progress is unacceptable and probably deliberate. Can COMM 2A help?

The COP is sitting on it, doesn't take much time to "review" your application and do a background check. You need to contact them and tell them their lack of progress is unacceptable and probably deliberate. Can COMM 2A help?
I would start by being polite. Sending a certified letter, return receipt requested is the polite implied threat. No need to make it explicit -- the chief will understand the implication.

would it be in bad taste if the OP enclosed a copy of the Bruen Decision with his letter?
Remember in the movie Roadhouse when Dalton said "I want you to be nice until it's time to not be nice."

It's not yet time to not be nice and that is the job of your attorney anyways. Don't pick a fight with the local police unless you really need to. You don't want to make an enemy of the COP, even if he is being a Richard.

I would start by being polite. Sending a certified letter, return receipt requested is the polite implied threat. No need to make it explicit -- the chief will understand the implication.
What implied threat? That you'll complain some more? The deadline in the law has no teeth, the CoP doesn't care, there are no repercussions to him even if it goes to court. Heck, the local politicians will probably praise him for making getting an LTC harder

Follow @Len-2A Training advice, a polite letter and talk to those who can be of help. You goal is to get the LTC NOT fix the BS, or is your goal to be the example that goes to court and doesn't see their LTC for years if ever?

OP BTW you don't say who gave you that status, I assume it was the state by the wording. If that's true, then it was sent to the state and they did the checks, and then it goes back to the local PD where they get final say (suitability, I guess they could correct a mistake). This is where most PDs insert their arbitrary delays. But if the PD OKs it then the state prints it and mails it to the PD. Who may sit on it some more, but then it goes to you. They only need to claim "he displayed clearly aggressive behaviour when interacting with police officers" You know, implied threats.

Keep in mind the local PD can kill your app at any point based on suitability. Go ahead as say SCOTUS and the law says, the reality is the PDs can and do deny as unsuitable outside of what the law technically allows and the district courts will support them. You may win in the long run, but thats time and money.

BTW the state sending it back to the locals pending approval, does not say the state approved it, only that the sent it back. It could have gone back as ineligible. And yes they would definitely play this game, they don't want to get into a discussion with you about it, let the locals deal with it. Not saying it was denied, just saying you don't know yet.

What implied threat? That you'll complain some more?
The implied threat is that you are creating a paper trail that can be admissible in future legal action if necessary. Sending it certified mail return receipt requested means that the police department can't claim in court that they never received your letter.

Next step if the COP doesn't respond appropriately is to contact Comm2A or an attorney like Guida.

Last edited:
For those interested, here's a FRB flow-chart of the licensing process between PD-FRB-and applicant.

Not much has changed since this chart was put together.

The implied threat is that you are creating a paper trail that can be admissible in future legal action if necessary. Sending it certified mail return receipt requested means that the police department can't claim in court that they never received your letter.

Next step if the COP doesn't respond appropriately is to contact Comm2A or an attorney like Guida.
But the Chief doesn't care about this. If you win it cost the Chief nothing, it can even be said the Chief tried and he'll get credit for that. There is nothing you can win that will cost the chief anything, but plenty to lose if you piss him off. And so my question, which you didn't quote, is the goal to get the LTC as simply and quickly as possible, or is the goal to change the system even though it means no LTC for 5 maybe 10 years, and tens of thousands of dollars. And I wouldn't count on Comm2a too much, they are highly selective in the cases they take.

In order to imply a threat there has to be possible negative repercussions, there are no negative repercussions to the Chief.

Back
Top Bottom