• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC on a business address...

late08

NES Member
Hi! Just want some clarification. I know an LTC can be issued to your business address.

How about if you have a current resident LTC issued to your home address and you move out of state and keep the Mass business.

Do you have to turn around and get a NR LTC, or can you change your address to the business and then move out of state and have it still be valid?

I know the original licensing authority (local PD) "owns" the license, so is it the same deal? You would have to have them expire it (fat chance I know) and re-apply with your business address?

Or just get the NR LTC?

LTCs are issued to people, not to addresses. I think I know what you're trying to say, but I think you're confusing a few concepts. Police chiefs (licensing authorities) can issue resident LTCs to people residing in or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority. So, if you still have a place of business in MA, your LTC should still be good, although you should still do a change of address notification.

However, here's where it might get confusing for the licensing authority. If lived in town A and your LTC was issued in town A, but your business was (and still is) in town B, you want to make sure that the town A chief doesn't cancel your license thinking that you're no longer a resident.

I did just what the OP is saying, a long time ago but this part of the laws hasn't changed. It was a little more complicated because I was a home based FFL/MA-Dealer (they don't allow this anymore). I moved my business to another MA address and changed my MA LTC to that address. Had a "resident" P&R in NH and a "resident" LTC in MA.

I'm friends with a guy who lives in Salem NH, and has a business in Somerville. He has a resident LTC, based on the Somerville business address.

LTCs are issued to people, not to addresses. I think I know what you're trying to say, but I think you're confusing a few concepts. Police chiefs (licensing authorities) can issue resident LTCs to people residing in or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority. So, if you still have a place of business in MA, your LTC should still be good, although you should still do a change of address notification.

However, here's where it might get confusing for the licensing authority. If lived in town A and your LTC was issued in town A, but your business was (and still is) in town B, you want to make sure that the town A chief doesn't cancel your license thinking that you're no longer a resident.

What I was told to do by the FRB (through LenS) was to notify the town I was moving out of, along with the state like you have to. My LTC was then cancelled and I had to re apply through the town where my business was located. My LTC had my home address (in NH) and my Business address. It looked like a resident LTC and was good for 6 years.

Is the situation any different for a green card in terms of using a business address?

What I was told to do by the FRB (through LenS) was to notify the town I was moving out of, along with the state like you have to. My LTC was then cancelled and I had to re apply through the town where my business was located. My LTC had my home address (in NH) and my Business address. It looked like a resident LTC and was good for 6 years.

Let me see if I get this right. If I live in NH with a NH license, but have a business in MA, I can apply for a resident class A using my NH driver's license and my MA business address? Is that lawful?

Let me see if I get this right. If I live in NH with a NH license, but have a business in MA, I can apply for a resident class A using my NH driver's license and my MA business address? Is that lawful?

Yes. However, I seriously doubt that you can legally purchase anything in MA with it. The advantage is a 6-year LTC for $100 vs. 6 1-year LTCs for a total of $600 plus a trip to Chelsea (and a 3-5 month wait for each one of them with no grace period).

Yes. However, I seriously doubt that you can legally purchase anything in MA with it. The advantage is a 6-year LTC for $100 vs. 6 1-year LTCs for a total of $600 plus a trip to Chelsea (and a 3-5 month wait for each one of them with no grace period).

^^^what he said^^^ and I think it was THIS Len that helped me when I was in that position. Sorry, Len. All you Lens look alike to me. [smile]

^^^what he said^^^ and I think it was THIS Len that helped me when I was in that position. Sorry, Len. All you Lens look alike to me. [smile]

I guess we'll see what the local department says when I stop by and request the form. How old does your training certification have to be for it to be valid?

I guess we'll see what the local department says when I stop by and request the form. How old does your training certification have to be for it to be valid?

training certs don't expire. what town is your business in? you may want to call FRB and get a name and a number for the local PD to call in case they are unaware of the law.

[laugh][laugh] Yes it was me. I was Lens until I went from Green to Orange (paid instructor account) and changed to the same name I use for the business.

As old as the PD will accept. Per MGL there is no expiration. HOWEVER, under "suitability" chiefs get to make up all their own rules if they wish and some won't accept any cert >6 months, 12 months, etc. and some insist on a new cert for every renewal and no MA marsupial judge will overrule the chiefs. I am unaware of any special form for the business-based LTC but would be interested if they come up with one. The standard state form is online in the FRB webpage.

You only need to physically go to Chelsea now for the original application and can renew via mail for the others?

Easton. Any idea how it is there? What is FRB?

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/massachusetts-firearms-laws

Firearms Records Bureau

Last edited:
Yahbut did you notify your issuing authority and the FRB
of your Change of Screen Name via certified mail?
[rofl]

They all know who I am as well as many LOs across the Commiewealth (as I found out when I took my NRA Instructor's course with Jon Green).

You only need to physically go to Chelsea now for the original application and can renew via mail for the others?

Massachusetts Firearms Laws

Firearms Records Bureau

For non-resident temporary LTCs issued c. 140 s. 131F, the current requirement is that in addition to the initial issue, every 6 years there is a required in person renewal as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom