• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC, more questions on restrictions

I tried searching for this, but I cant seem to find anything. I apologize in advance for my stupidity...

I have an LTC-A with Target and Hunting restrictions. I know I cannot cc outside of my home, and from my limited knowledge I believe I am only allowed to have a firearm on my person either at home, at the range or while hunting.

Now heres my question, If I go to work (extremely gun friendly) or a friends home where I have permission to have a firearm, can I legally have my firearm with me? Whether it be cc or oc, does the restriction on my license prohibit this? While going from home to the gun friendly point, the firearm would be locked etc.

Thanks,

Andrew

In a locked case or locked trunk, unloaded. That's MGL for transportation. Doesn't matter where you are going in MA, that's the applicable law.

If you took a so-called gun safety course recently, they FAILED if they didn't teach you this!!

In a locked case or locked trunk, unloaded. That's MGL for transportation. Doesn't matter where you are going in MA, that's the applicable law.

If you took a so-called gun safety course recently, they FAILED if they didn't teach you this!!
Len I think you're missing the point. I think the question the op has is can he carry on private property with permission of the owner. So he goes to work boss says sure carry here, or he's at a friends house can he carry at the house. Obviously having to transport it locked in a container unloaded or locked in the trunk.

Thanks,

I took a class a few years back, and the transportation aspect was covered. I just wanted to figure out the legality of having the firearm with me, not in a case but on my person not in a public way etc.

Len I think you're missing the point. I think the question the op has is can he carry on private property with permission of the owner. So he goes to work boss says sure carry here, or he's at a friends house can he carry at the house. Obviously having to transport it locked in a container unloaded or locked in the trunk.

Perhaps I did miss his point. However it might be his terminology that threw me. See below.

Thanks,

I took a class a few years back, and the transportation aspect was covered. I just wanted to figure out the legality of having the firearm with me, not in a case but on my person not in a public way etc.

When you use the term "having the firearm with me", you are being less than clear. Perhaps causing me confusion wrt WHAT are you asking??

If you are asking "can I CARRY (CCW or OC) on my person" at "friendly situations", my answer would be "based on a restriction on your LTC, I would venture that the answer is NO".

Let's look at this another way. "Can you CCW in a store that is NOT posted "no guns" (maybe it is a gun store) with a T&H restricted LTC?" I'm 99% certain that a LO/chief would say that you are "carrying outside your restrictions" and subject to suspension/revocation and fines per MGLs.

To me, "having the firearm with me" means "can I have it in my car or bring it cased to a friend's house" and the answer I would give to that is "yes"!

[NOTE: I'm not trying to pick on the OP's grammar, but you do need to be very clear if you want a good answer to the question.]

You could open carry at any of those places or even walking down the street (besides some calling the police) with no issues just not in the car.

This is exactly how I interpreted the OP .

This is exactly how I interpreted the OP .

Sadly I got the question I just dont know the answer. Then again with restrictions its really up to his Issuing officer. I am not a lawyer but I tell you what, if I was at a friends house, and carrying with those restrictions im not so sure the Issuing officer would be too happy if I used my firearm in a self defense situation. With a T and H restriction the issuing officer is basically saying (the way I think of it anyways) hey you can buy high capacity stuff, take it to the range shoot it, bring it in the woods for hunting etc... but dont you dare use it to protect yourself excepet for in your home. Thats the way I think of it anyways.

Sorry for any confusion. Ill try to clear it up.

1. I leave my home with firearm in a locked case.
2. I drive to work/friends home.
3. At work/friends home I take locked case inside, remove firearm and either oc or cc at work/friends home only. I do not leave the property while cc/oc.
4. At the end of the day, lock the firearm up and bring it back home.

If this is not legal based on my restrictions, than would it even be legal to take the firearm to work/buddies house to work on it? I do a lot of work on my guns at work, but have always wondered the legality since i am not hunting or target shooting.

Restrictions suck... just saying[frown]

Thanks

You are making the issue overly complicated.

There are only two relevant decision points:

1. Will and officer who discovers one carrying in a manner (s) thinks outside the restriction report it to the issuing authority?

2. Will the issuing authority un-issue?

Yes, there is the prospect of the civil offense of carry outside restriction, however, as a practical matter the above are the issues that one needs to consider.

Tanky,

My cut on this is that you would be in violation if at work or at that friend's house ARMED!

"Working on your gun" is NOT the same as being ARMED with it. The former would be no problem, the latter is fraught with problems.

Actually according to state law you can carry concealed just not in public.

(b) A Class B license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) non-large capacity firearms and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of such firearm as the licensing authority deems proper; provided, however, that a Class B license shall not entitle the holder thereof to carry or possess a loaded firearm in a concealed manner in any public way or place; and provided further, that a Class B license shall not entitle the holder thereof to possess a large capacity firearm, except under a Class A club license issued under this section or under the direct supervision of a holder of a valid Class A license at an incorporated shooting club or licensed shooting range; and (ii) rifles and shotguns, including large capacity rifles and shotguns, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes; provided, however, that the licensing authority may impose such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of large capacity rifles and shotguns as he deems proper. A violation of a restriction provided under this paragraph, or a restriction imposed by the licensing authority under the provisions of this paragraph, shall be cause for suspension or revocation and shall, unless otherwise provided, be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000; provided, however, that the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269 shall not apply to such violation.

Actually according to state law you can carry concealed just not in public.

(b) A Class B license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) non-large capacity firearms and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of such firearm as the licensing authority deems proper; provided, however, that a Class B license shall not entitle the holder thereof to carry or possess a loaded firearm in a concealed manner in any public way or place; and provided further, that a Class B license shall not entitle the holder thereof to possess a large capacity firearm, except under a Class A club license issued under this section or under the direct supervision of a holder of a valid Class A license at an incorporated shooting club or licensed shooting range; and (ii) rifles and shotguns, including large capacity rifles and shotguns, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes; provided, however, that the licensing authority may impose such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of large capacity rifles and shotguns as he deems proper. A violation of a restriction provided under this paragraph, or a restriction imposed by the licensing authority under the provisions of this paragraph, shall be cause for suspension or revocation and shall, unless otherwise provided, be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000; provided, however, that the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269 shall not apply to such violation.

The OP has a Class A, not a Class B.

Oh ya... I would think that would go for a class A also but it's not stated in the Class A section which I find odd.

Last edited:
HA! HA! HA! HA! BLLAAAAAAA! BLLAAAAAAA! WHOOOOOOOOOO![banghead] Sorry I just had to do that.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom