• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC Medford, MA

JohnnyC

NES Member
A very good friend of mine applied for his LTC 6 months ago, and incredibly he has not heard a peep. Their website states do not call to inquire regarding your LTC status, so he is reluctant to call for fear of being placed at the bottom of the list, or not doing what he was told and as a result receiving restrictions, etc. Perfect record and background in every way. Is this normal for Medford? Any suggestions? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you...

Well, if you are not supposed to be calling, I would say go in person to inquire. Six months is a long time.

He has gone in a couple of times. After they check, the good Sargent is unavailable. Sad, really sad system. Yes or No, just make a decision.

I believe Medford is a Red town, which generally do not issue Unrestricted LTC's... My brother is a Medford resident and is considering applying, update the thread if your friend has success.

Yes, it is RED... But it is frustrating. Just do their job, make a decision either way.... Say NO, and issue with restrictions if they must, but do something. Useless department....

That's the crazy part, perfect record, job, looks. Very responsible, stable, etc... No reason whatsoever that I can see.

Well, he's kind of screwed. The PD must not have wanted to issue and delayed until he burnt through his 90 appeal window. Is there any reason they might have considered him "unsuitable"?

I doubt that.

I'm more willing to believe that they "lost" his application in the piles of paper. I know someone this happened to TWICE in Norwood on a renewal. It took him >6 months to get renewed and he as persistent.

The person in question should indeed pay a visit and/or leave a phone message. If no return call within a week after that, the person should contact the Mayor/Town Manager and request their assistance. If they are afraid to do this and will just wait forever, I'm afraid they might die waiting. There is a time to escalate things, but always do it politely.

6 months I don't think is unusual. They drag their ass, because they fear nothing. Where I live, I waited almost the same time before I got my neutered LTC. Best of luck to your friend.

I wouldn't bother contacting the mayor. McGlynn is on meninos list for "mayors against gun violence", aka "list of men with no balls".

Yes McGlynn and Menino, I'm calling you both douchenozzles, and I wouldn't be upset if you fell in the shark tank.

I doubt that.

I'm more willing to believe that they "lost" his application in the piles of paper. I know someone this happened to TWICE in Norwood on a renewal. It took him >6 months to get renewed and he as persistent.

The person in question should indeed pay a visit and/or leave a phone message. If no return call within a week after that, the person should contact the Mayor/Town Manager and request their assistance. If they are afraid to do this and will just wait forever, I'm afraid they might die waiting. There is a time to escalate things, but always do it politely.

I applied in Medford, got unrestricted, and was contacted in a relatively short time.

6 months is ridiculously long. Now that Boston Shooter chimed in, it really makes me think LenS is right and the application probably just got lost or something. I think he should call and emphasize how long it has been without hearing anything.

My buddy got his unrestricted "A" from medford. He went down at least once a week after the amount of time they said it should take. He got his about a month after his scheduled due date. Or should I say estimated due date. They were horrible at returning calls.

I know of one case where a very green town lost an application. The applicant waited, waited some more (back in the days when 4 weeks was considered a long delay), and finally inquired. The department checked their records, found out it was misfiled, and straightened the situation out - but it proves that even departments that do not intend to screw with the applicant can make filing errors, and the illogic of a "do not check on your status" policy.

I got mine back in 08 and only took about 2 and 1/2 months to receive it in my hand. About the getting it unrestricted the first time they don't do that, only on renewal. Contact Det. Mulcahy he is in charge of the process

I got mine back in 08 and only took about 2 and 1/2 months to receive it in my hand. About the getting it unrestricted the first time they don't do that, only on renewal. Contact Det. Mulcahy he is in charge of the process

I hesitate to bad-mouth an LEO in a public setting, but the issuing officer has been, at least for me, almost impossible to reach, ever since I turned my application in. He's semi-retired and apparently only works 2-3 days a week. He gave me his schedule when I applied (Nov. 15th 2011), presumably so I'd be able to follow up with him. But in my experience that schedule is seldom accurate. He picks up the phone only once in a blue moon, and never returns phone messages, so making any inquiry requires taking time off work to go to the PD in person.
Last time I did so, I was told my LTC had been issued, and was on its way to Medford from the state. That was almost 2 weeks ago.

Doesbn't Mass., state Law give a specific time for the apporoval or dispapproval of a LTC?

6 months seems to me it's time to get a lawyer and stop dicking around.

Took 4 months for mine in Everett and it's a green town. Couldn't get in touch with the licensing officer if my life depended on it. It took 6 weeks for him to even take applications when it's supposed to be every 1st and 3rd Mondays. My friend's licence took 6 months in the same town and his was just for a restriction upgrade from his previous city )Boston). I don't think it was Everett PD's fault as my LTC from the state had a date very close to when I actually received it in the mail, but I'm definitely glad my licensing guy will be retired by the time I renew.

If you can get the cops attention who work at the front desk, you are on to a strong start. That TV is very important to them in there, and they don't like to be bothered by people walking in asking questions when their sport of choice is on.

"The Medford Police, Keeping service 1 notch above Eastern European Police quality."

These stories are sickening. What the hell is wrong with these departments? The 40 day limit means nothing to them, because they know the average person cannot afford to get a lawyer, and take them to court. No one lost anything. They are being dicks, because they know they can be dicks. It is as simple as that.

We had a LOT of trouble with Medford PD when my ex GF applied a few years ago. They wouldn't return her calls, and when she showed up in person they told her to leave a message and leave.

She was a victim of violence and wanted to carry, and was told this would be taken into consideration when she applied. When the license came, six months later, with "restricted," written all over it, she tried to schedule an appointment with someone (anyone) to discuss it. First the CLEO, the the issuing officer, then any detective on duty, but she kept getting the brush off. Eventually she got a hold of a detective when he house was broken into (unrelated to the violence discussed earlier). The detective said, "did the violence happen in Medford?" She said no, he said, "Well then it doesn't matter to us."

Protect and Serve...

They are too busy planning bank B&E's to get the safe deposit contents of organized crime figures, and breaking into the State House to steal copies of promotional exams.

(real events)

@rick8325

Hey im in everett now, and have just hit my 4 month mark. Its absolutely torturous waiting, and not only that im afraid to call and see where its at. Regardless i have called twice in the 4 months and the last time they told me i should have had it by now. Then they told me that chelsea hasnt processed any applications from november 2011 yet. But chelseas website says they are processing feb 2012 application right now.

Curious, did you call at all durin the 4 months

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Yes, multiple times. Always told he is not in, then ask when will he be in, then they say we don't know... leave messages... never a response. Have written and mailed letters, no response. Have stopped by, not in or available then delivered another letter, no response. Always very professional, very nice. Now escalating to others.... what a sad department. Legally they are required by law to respond in 40 days, guess the laws do not apply to them.

Say yes, say no.... do something...

@rick8325

Hey im in everett now, and have just hit my 4 month mark. Its absolutely torturous waiting, and not only that im afraid to call and see where its at. Regardless i have called twice in the 4 months and the last time they told me i should have had it by now. Then they told me that chelsea hasnt processed any applications from november 2011 yet. But chelseas website says they are processing feb 2012 application right now.

That is BS. See my post (yesterday) that is a Sticky in the MA Gun Law sub-forum. It lays out all the steps of an application and came direct from the state agency that processes the LTCs/FIDs!

Back
Top Bottom