LTC License Picture Source

Yes, MA police officers most definitely can see LTC status when running a plate.

Pull up a scanner feed for your area sometime. You'll hear dispatch give the officer a heads up when running a plate that the RO has an LTC and sometimes they will advise the number of firearms _registered_ to that RO.

/ETA : melrose PD is UHF and not encrypted. a cheap ~ $100 scanner can be used to listen to their chatter. broadcastify has a feed that includes PD and fire though it says it is temporarily locked on to saugus (have not confirmed).
Ah but what do you mean? MA doesn't have registration /s

Interesting nonetheless that you're saying dispatch is advising them. So either the computer inside the cop car can't show it, or they don't always use it?

Thats why I was so curious about mine. My old one was terrible. I looked like a bloated, washed our, dwarf.
There was an old Bartles & Jaymes commercial.

"I personally don't think that I take a very good picture. Earl agrees, and says it looks just like me. I'm not sure what he means by that."
[laugh]

They tend to be focused on pulling the vehicle over and let dispatch do the typing. At least that is how I interpret the conversations when I hear them. Car has not yet pulled over, officer calls in a stop with plate number and reason for stop, dispatch runs plate.

Officers have access to run plates from their cruiser.

And yes, absolutely, dispatch says registered.

I recently picked up my renewed license and it had a different picture on it than my previous LTC. First time they beat the 60 day requirement. 👍

They didn’t take my picture or fingerprints so I was wondering where they got the picture from. Turns out that it is the same picture that is on my Massachusetts drivers license.

Makes me wonder how interconnected the databases are these days.🤔

Bob
They've been interconnected for a long ass time if the cop that pulls you over on the side of the road has a cjisweb terminal he will immediately know that you have an LTC... all that s*** is tied together by relational databases...

They tend to be focused on pulling the vehicle over and let dispatch do the typing. At least that is how I interpret the conversations when I hear them. Car has not yet pulled over, officer calls in a stop with plate number and reason for stop, dispatch runs plate.

Officers have access to run plates from their cruiser.

And yes, absolutely, dispatch says registered.
If a guy is reading plate numbers over the air they probably don't have an MDT/computer in their car..... or it's broken or not working right. A lot of munis don't have them in a lot of their cars. You can bet your ass though every revenue rhetoric town does though. (Aka the MA towns where 99.99% of the "policing" is all ch90 garbage).

I kind of wish they took the photo from my driver’s license for a recent renewal. The photo on my LTC is zoomed out quite a bit with low lighting.

They've been interconnected for a long ass time if the cop that pulls you over on the side of the road has a cjisweb terminal he will immediately know that you have an LTC... all that s*** is tied together by relational databases...
Maybe now, but at least a few years ago they were sperate systems. You would have to log into both to cross reference. That said, there maybe a third piece of software that would pull from multiple databases for law enforcement.

Possible FAST has ties to the Firearms database, but it was not part of the original contract for the Driver's License program.

If a guy is reading plate numbers over the air they probably don't have an MDT/computer in their car..... or it's broken or not working right. A lot of munis don't have them in a lot of their cars. You can bet your ass though every revenue rhetoric town does though. (Aka the MA towns where 99.99% of the "policing" is all ch90 garbage).

Without giving up too much info, there are three towns around me (plus the town I live in) that use this method. Cruisers have terminals and you'll sometimes hear a cruiser ask for dispatch to run a plate to confirm what the officer is seeing.

Without giving up too much info, there are three towns around me (plus the town I live in) that use this method. Cruisers have terminals and you'll sometimes hear a cruiser ask for dispatch to run a plate to confirm what the officer is seeing.
The only reason I can think that they actually do that as they don’t want some guy keying shit in when they’re rolling so it’s a policy…. MSP obviously doesn’t care. Either that or their radio system is more reliable than the mdt is in those towns.

The only reason I can think that they actually do that as they don’t want some guy keying shit in when they’re rolling so it’s a policy…. MSP obviously doesn’t care. Either that or their radio system is more reliable than the mdt is in those towns.

I have not asked and have no affiliation with any of the departments. The part in bold is what I assumed to be the reason for it.

This makes me wonder about a question I've never seen a straightforward answer to: Can an MA police officer see an LTC based solely on a license plate, or do they need the driver's license? Because for example one of my cars is still titled to the finance company, is registered to me, but is mostly driven by my gf who does not have an LTC. In other words, is an inferred connection between a license plate, the owner and/or registrant for which has an LTC?
Yes, they can see info on registered owner, depending on the system they are on it will be all on the same page, or one click deeper, they can see everything you've ever FA-10'd also. Dispatch can also see it. Many towns in western MA the cruisers don't have reliable service, many dead spots, and they don't want to f*** around on the laptop while driving, so radio still rules. Many small towns still have an actual officer rotate through desk/dispatch duty also.

Back
Top Bottom