LTC in hand, looking to join Harvard SC

Hi everyone,

Finally got my LTC no restriction yesterday after a long wait. :rolleyes:

I’m looking to join Harvard Sportsmen’s club, any sponsor out there who can help me out ?

Thanks a lot

Congratulations on your LTC. First thing I would do is go green and become an NES member. Second thing I would do is checkout the online HSC events calendar, find a public event, attend, meet some HSC members, let them get to know you, shoot together, and see where it goes from there (hopefully to sponsorship).

Good luck!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your LTC. First thing I would do is go green and become an NES member. Second thing I would do is checkout the online HSC events calendar, find a public event, attend, meet some HSC members, let them get to you know, shoot together, and see where it goes from there (hopefully to sponsorship).

Good luck!
Couldn't have said it better myself

the rules regarding membership changed, check it out.

A little more detail on this.

In order to join, first you have to find someone to sponsor you. Your sponsor has to write a letter of recommendation with the following information:

Describe how and when you met the new member,
Describe range experience WITH the new member, including experience at HSC.
Vouch for the good character and honesty of the new member.
Vouch for the good safety habits of the new member.

Once the letter has been received and approved by the board, the sponsor and prospective new member will be invited to the next monthly meeting. You can no longer show up at a monthly meeting and "find a sponsor".

What this all means is that the bar for getting a sponsorship has been raised considerably, since being a sponsor is more of a commitment than it was before. So, you will definitely have to get yourself to some club events, meet some members, get to know them a bit, and demonstrate good and safe habits before you'll be able to get a sponsor.

In order to join, first you have to find someone to sponsor you. Your sponsor has to write a letter of recommendation with the following information:

Once the letter has been received and approved by the board, the sponsor and prospective new member will be invited to the next monthly meeting. You can no longer show up at a monthly meeting and "find a sponsor".

What this all means is that the bar for getting a sponsorship has been raised considerably, since being a sponsor is more of a commitment than it was before. So, you will definitely have to get yourself to some club events, meet some members, get to know them a bit, and demonstrate good and safe habits before you'll be able to get a sponsor.
WOW! I re-joined a year ago and those rules weren't in place.

Sent April 2, from hsc_admin, subject HSC IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - MEMBERSHIP POLICY.

El Presidente sends emails about once a week. You should be receiving those and they are worth skimming.

Interesting tightening of membership rules. Did someone vouch for some knucklehead to cause this? The particular emphasis on range safety in the recommendation letter seems to suggest so.

Interesting tightening of membership rules. Did someone vouch for some knucklehead to cause this? The particular emphasis on range safety in the recommendation letter seems to suggest so.
My understanding is a couple of new joiners were shooting up the place. If it takes a rule change to prevent more knuckleheads from ruining it for the rest of us then I'm OK with that.

I don't really care about the who did it or who sponsored them. The BOD and various chairpeople do a great job running the place IMO.

Harvard truly is one of the best clubs I've ever shot at.

Plenty of marks on the walls and ceiling in the indoor range; target stands regularly get destroyed; the class 3 range is littered with junk because people don't clean up after themselves, etc. I'm glad they tightened down.

I’ve been going to Westford SC with my friend for years. I wouldn’t consider myself as bad as shooting up the place. :(

I went to Harvard SC to check on Steel Challenge for a couple times over the years. I like the outdoor range setup at Harvard.

As usual Mike, spot on!

My understanding is that a lapsed member, rejoining, can sponsor themselves
That is correct.

Sorry for the slight necro thread revival..... but I would like to become a member at HSC, and I'm looking for the best way to go about that.

The one guy I can think of who knew me really well and was a Harvard member - is no longer there. I've been to Harvard a number of times shooting with him in the past, attended a couple of Appleseed shoots there, met up with NES members multiple times there to buy and sell ammo and firearms.... etc. I know I've met a bunch of NES members who are also Harvard members - but sounds like - based on the new rules..... none of them would know me well enough to sponsor me.

So, what's the best route to get started - should I attend the monthly breakfast? I was looking on the calendar to see if there was public day listed on the range but I didn't see one.

Thanks. I saw that on the club calendar.

Is attending the breakfast a good first step to finding somebody who might be a sponsor?

The best way is to have a friend already at the club. Showing up at the IDPA practice (and showing responsible gun handling skills and a good attitude) is probably the best way to come in cold. It is open to the public, and I hear they are a good bunch of guys.

My .02, YMMV.

Ya,among various other things.One of the main things was sponsor begging on this website and the inevitable parade of tards that followed.Imagine an NES shoot at HSC every weekend lol

I thought sponsor begging was supposed to stop here.

Also glad they tightened up a little on membership, nothing is worse than an over crowded range.

Tightening up sounds good to me. When I used to be a member there, I would observe things like the steel plates shot full of holes because some retard is shooting at them with a rifle. (Wow, you can hit a 6 inch target 25 yards away with a rifle.... That is SOOOO impressive. It is for pistols, idiot.)

I miss HSC, especially since I now have no place to shoot thanks to the MRGC woes. I'm half pondering whether I should go through all that nonsense to get a MA non res so I can rejoin HSC, although I haven't been able to bring myself to do anything that repulsive yet.

Don't do it. If Ma decides not to give you the license, they keep the money. The license is only good for 1 year so you get to spend $100.00 a year

Sorry for the slight necro thread revival..... but I would like to become a member at HSC, and I'm looking for the best way to go about that.

The one guy I can think of who knew me really well and was a Harvard member - is no longer there. I've been to Harvard a number of times shooting with him in the past, attended a couple of Appleseed shoots there, met up with NES members multiple times there to buy and sell ammo and firearms.... etc. I know I've met a bunch of NES members who are also Harvard members - but sounds like - based on the new rules..... none of them would know me well enough to sponsor me.

So, what's the best route to get started - should I attend the monthly breakfast? I was looking on the calendar to see if there was public day listed on the range but I didn't see one.
Come to the USPSA or IDPA practice. People are friendly and willing to help. I’ve become a member already. But you do need a member who’s been there for at least one year to sponsor.

Back
Top Bottom