LTC in Foxboro - just got laid off...

A) any experiences with LTC in Foxboro?

B) just got laid off... what to put on license application if not working but can support the hobby? (literally laid off Friday, was gonna apply last week but never got around to it... I have the time now to stop by the PD, but don't know what to put on application, or whether to wait till I'm employed...)

I have No experience with A

As far as B goes: you have to put the truth. As for supporting the hobby, how would they know if you saved all your pennies from when you were working, or your wife works and makes enough for both of you, your parents help out, you won the lottery, heck maybe your going to start after you find a new job. it's none of their business really. you have the right. it doesn't matter what you intend to buy or with what money. you want to be legal and what you do, as long as it's legal, is your right.

Rule #1 - Do not lie on the application

If you get caught lying it's pretty much an immediate denial. As far as how difficult it is in Foxboro goes this thread indicates we haven't gotten any feedback on the process from anyone in Foxboro.

B) just got laid off... what to put on license application if not working but can support the hobby? (literally laid off Friday, was gonna apply last week but never got around to it... I have the time now to stop by the PD, but don't know what to put on application, or whether to wait till I'm employed...)

just put the truth. you dont need a job to exersize a right. my dad was laid off when he applied for his.

Rule #1 - Do not lie on the application

If you get caught lying it's pretty much an immediate denial. As far as how difficult it is in Foxboro goes this thread indicates we haven't gotten any feedback on the process from anyone in Foxboro.

The fact that feedback is lacking re Foxboro, is probably a pretty good indicator that there aren't a lot of permits being given out in Foxboro. Just guessing.

I don't think i would go with this. It could be taken as a lie if the chief really wanted to.

I actually have a website for my photography that I set up a few years back which I set up to pursue income when I was unemployed in 2007 (not been a good run).

I haven't made a dime from anything I've photographed, but I've donated to several local charities who have benefited from the sales of the photos...

Could this help if I put in self employed? this also corresponds to the reasons I've entered on the application - for personal protection while photographing wilderness scenes and animals.

The fact that feedback is lacking re Foxboro, is probably a pretty good indicator that there aren't a lot of permits being given out in Foxboro. Just guessing.

Guessing indeed.

The fact that there is so little feedback suggests to me that Foxboro issues by the actual rules, instead of fabricating its own (as some of its neighbors do). I've never heard of any real problems with Foxboro's licensing policy.

I don't think i would go with this. It could be taken as a lie if the chief really wanted to.
I am not suggesting it as a lie at all. Unemployed people are allowed to work at something part-time while collecting. In fact, if you don't, you will probably go under very quickly. The income you make, however small, should be reported to Unemployment and you should be paying state and Federal income taxes on it as well (unless you are an illegal alien, of course). Call it what you want, but by my definition you are self-employed unless you are just sitting on your ass at home doing nothing but eating potato chips and watching Oprah.

CLMN

Guessing indeed.

The fact that there is so little feedback suggests to me that Foxboro issues by the actual rules, instead of fabricating its own (as some of its neighbors do). I've never heard of any real problems with Foxboro's licensing policy.

Wouldn't you think that if lots of permits were given out in Foxboro, that would translate to quite a few Foxboro members here who could provide feedback on what the Foxboro process is like?

My guess is no more invalid than your guess.

Wouldn't you think that if lots of permits were given out in Foxboro, that would translate to quite a few Foxboro members here who could provide feedback on what the Foxboro process is like?

It is because of human nature. When people don't run into problems, they tend not to complain as much. Let me give you a hypothetical...

Let's take two people, who are not NES members and have no idea we exist.

One goes to an anti town, let's say Brookline. Brookline gives him a ration of s**t, and the individual starts seeking remedies. He starts looking around on google or whatever for either gun attorneys or "gun licensing in Brookline" etc. Then he finds NES and starts seeing posts about Brookline,etc, or wants to ask questions and registers, and then starts posting...

The other goes to some green town, say Foxboro. The PD tells him what he needs to do to get a license, follows directions, submits app, gets A/none in under a month or so, and is basically happy. (or as happy as you can be in MA)

Which of these two individuals do you think is more likely to discuss their licensing experience on NES?

Look on any gun forum and you'll see what I'm talking about. The ratio of whiny broken gun posts is often usually higher than the posts of "I bought another XYZ today and it works
great". Human nature implies that people are more likely to speak out when something is wrong/broken than they are when it works right.

-Mike

A) any experiences with LTC in Foxboro?

Sorry to hear about the layoff. I have no experience with Foxboro, so can't help you there. As for your application, why not just list what your previous employment was? You have been laid off, so there is every possibility that you could be recalled. I always wondered why the application even asks. If someone is a terrorist or career criminal, does the licensing authority really expect them to list that as their occupation? The question seems pointless, so I would just answer as honestly as you can.

It is because of human nature. When people don't run into problems, they tend not to complain as much. Let me give you a hypothetical...

Let's take two people, who are not NES members and have no idea we exist.

One goes to an anti town, let's say Brookline. Brookline gives him a ration of s**t, and the individual starts seeking remedies. He starts looking around on google or whatever for either gun attorneys or "gun licensing in Brookline" etc. Then he finds NES and starts seeing posts about Brookline,etc, or wants to ask questions and registers, and then starts posting...

The other goes to some green town, say Foxboro. The PD tells him what he needs to do to get a license, follows directions, submits app, gets A/none in under a month or so, and is basically happy. (or as happy as you can be in MA)

Which of these two individuals do you think is more likely to discuss their licensing experience on NES?

Look on any gun forum and you'll see what I'm talking about. The ratio of whiny broken gun posts is often usually higher than the posts of "I bought another XYZ today and it works
great". Human nature implies that people are more likely to speak out when something is wrong/broken than they are when it works right.

-Mike

Good points.

I would also think though, that like me, people who have an interest in firearms ownership and a sense of responsibility for being an owner, would seek out a site like this to find like-minded individuals and to help them stay up-to-date on the appicable laws.

It's no big deal, really, just a theory to try to explain the reported absence of info on Foxboro.

Good points.

I would also think though, that like me, people who have an interest in firearms ownership and a sense of responsibility for being an owner, would seek out a site like this to find like-minded individuals and to help them stay up-to-date on the appicable laws...

There just aren't that many NESers residing in Foxboro, it seems. And so it follows that, like grant alluded to, many of those who do live there are neither a participant of NES, nor are concerned about finding like-minded individuals online. No surprise that there might be a few anomalous towns that fit the parameters of "insufficient info".

Seriously, I don't understand what's the problem with putting "temporarily unemployed" on the app. You're not applying for a loan and don't have to prove your income or assets. Being laid off isn't a crime and nothing to be ashamed off. Your financials have nothing to do with your RKBA. Your intention may be to buy a beat up no name .22 revolver for $75 and a bulk pack of .22 for $19.99.

Not necessarily. There are other towns with plenty of permits, but little information. That aside, I also know a few LTC holders who don't know such a website exists. HAving an LTC doesnt mean you are going to hunt out shooting forums....

What is the purpose/reasoning of the state asking for your employer?

Why should my employment affect exercising my 2nd amendment rights? Just checked the constitution and it did not have a clause saying *These rights are only granted to the employed.

When I got my 1st LTC I was not gainfully employed and they put "Unemployed" as my employer on my LTC. Of course the photo I had was a gem too, so between not working and not looking like I had bathed in a mth the ID was SPLENDID looking. LOL

Back
Top Bottom