LTC/Handgun Storage

My chiropractor asked me a question yesterday that I do not know the answer 100%. Wondering if anyone here would know. He said he recently acquired his LTC from Auburn, MA. He owns his practice in Worcester, MA. He wants to store a properly locked up handgun in his office in Worcester and leave it there at all times even overnight. Reason being is his wife is not too happy about leaving it stored in their home because they have kids. Would that be legal to do even though his residence is in Auburn where his LCT was issued to him. My guess would be that it would be OK.

My chiropractor asked me a question yesterday that I do not know the answer 100%. Wondering if anyone here would know. He said he recently acquired his LTC from Auburn, MA. He owns his practice in Worcester, MA. He wants to store a properly locked up handgun in his office in Worcester and leave it there at all times even overnight. Reason being is his wife is not too happy about leaving it stored in their home because they have kids. Would that be legal to do even though his residence is in Auburn where his LCT was issued to him. My guess would be that it would be OK.

I am not a legal expert, but I would think that would not violate the law as long as all physical storage is still done in proper locked containers/trigger locks. However I would be uneasy doing that on a personal level as I am not sure what kind of physical security he has at the office to prevent someone from just walking off with it. Also, if he is trying to wall hack around his wife not wanting a gun in the house, then that is the bigger issue to address.

I didn't get an LTC and a gun or guns to leave them somewhere I have no access when needed. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a gun. Having said that....it's nice he can have a gun at work without violating corporate policies.

I didn't get an LTC and a gun or guns to leave them somewhere I have no access when needed. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a gun. Having said that....it's nice he can have a gun at work without violating corporate policies.

It also raises the question "Why did you even get an LTC in the first place?"

If it is purely for sporting reasons, I guess the inconvenience of your wife not supporting your new sport is rough but its manageable. However if it is for protection, the not having it at home and having it locked up at work makes it essentially non existant and useless.

It also raises the question "Why did you even get an LTC in the first place?"

If it is purely for sporting reasons, I guess the inconvenience of your wife not supporting your new sport is rough but its manageable. However if it is for protection, the not having it at home and having it locked up at work makes it essentially non existant and useless.

exactly right....

Tell him he should have one in his house and his place of business. Both perfectly legal as long as they are stored according to storage laws.

If I couldn't wear it on my person at the office I'd have it in a quick access safe .

And he apparently needs to have a talk with his wife .

Tell him he should have one in his house and his place of business. Both perfectly legal as long as they are stored according to storage laws.

If I couldn't wear it on my person at the office I'd have it in a quick access safe .

And he apparently needs to have a talk with his wife .

Guns are like puppies, you wouldn't just get a dog without working it out with your spouse right?

You are right. What is the point of having a handgun if it is not going to be with you especially at home? I see him tomorrow. I will definitely make that point. Since I was wearing my M&P hat, he asked me if I had an LTC. That is how we got on the subject. I told him I'd be packin right now in his office if I didn't work at the university right down the street. He said he'd be perfectly comfortable with me in his office carrying.

Guns are like puppies, you wouldn't just get a dog without working it out with your spouse right?

Not like guns at all. I would ask the wife about a puppy as it is probably going to be a joint effort caring for the creature. I care form my guns myself. My wife doesn't like guns. Doesn't like going to the range. But she understands 2A and the need for it. She just chooses to not exercise her 2A rights. And she sleeps just fine knowing their is a S&W 1911 standing between her and anything that goes bump in the night.....lol

Not like guns at all. I would ask the wife about a puppy as it is probably going to be a joint effort caring for the creature. I care form my guns myself. My wife doesn't like guns. Doesn't like going to the range. But she understands 2A and the need for it. She just chooses to not exercise her 2A rights. And she sleeps just fine knowing their is a S&W 1911 standing between her and anything that goes bump in the night.....lol

I guess I should have said the FIRST gun is like a pet, you should make sure your spouse will tolerate it in the house. Also, both seem to multiply quickly if you aren't careful.

Wow 12 replies in and not a single response to the question.

OP I’m not a legal expert either, but my understanding is that it’s totally legal to do that. Biggest concern I could think about would be security and access. So long as he’s the only one with access to the gun, he should be fine.
In other words, storing it in a locked desk that he shares with a business partner who doesn’t have an LTC would be a no-no.

Again I’m not a lawyer.

Another option that satisfies all the constraints is to break the gun down and store the serialized firearm portion (which he is legally obliged to maintain under direct control and store according to the law) at home and one or more of the other parts at the office. I'm not a gun expert so there may be exceptions to which part is considered the "gun," but for mine if I were to store the frame at the house according to storage laws and store the barrel (or barrel and slide, for that matter) elsewhere, I would be complying with my legal obligation while simultaneously having a nonfunctional useless grip/trigger assembly at the house that I could explain to my wife is incapable of discharging a round. Not even sure if the separated barrel or barrel/slide/recoil spring need to be locked up in this case.

Open to corrections, I'm not a lawyer or an expert, but my understanding is that there is one part of the gun considered the firearm and that's the one that storage/transport applies to, and with the flick of the takedown lever you can easily separate the death machine into two paperweights.

Wow 12 replies in and not a single response to the question.

OP I’m not a legal expert either, but my understanding is that it’s totally legal to do that. Biggest concern I could think about would be security and access. So long as he’s the only one with access to the gun, he should be fine.
In other words, storing it in a locked desk that he shares with a business partner who doesn’t have an LTC would be a no-no.

Again I’m not a lawyer.
posts #2 and post #15 clearly state that its legal if it is stored according to mass law.

You are right. What is the point of having a handgun if it is not going to be with you especially at home? I see him tomorrow. I will definitely make that point. Since I was wearing my M&P hat, he asked me if I had an LTC. That is how we got on the subject. I told him I'd be packin right now in his office if I didn't work at the university right down the street. He said he'd be perfectly comfortable with me in his office carrying.

Tell him if he wants you as a patient, he doesn't have a choice.

Put a trigger lock on it and put it in a locked file cabinet. Or in a desk drawer (foolish but legal). Or on top of his desk (stupid but legal).

Done as far as the storage laws are concerned. The last two leave you exposed to 269 MGL S10 (6)(h)(2), "leaving unattended with intent to transfer, etc."

Back
Top Bottom