LTC/FID and access to firearm question

1903Collector

NES Member
So after many months of nagging her my wife finally scheduled her BFSC and as a bonus my youngest daughter who still lives at home signed up too, two more future shooters on the way [smile]

Kind of ashamed of myself that I didn't know the answer to this, my wife will get her LTC so she's covered but my daughter is only 19. Am I wrong in believing she can only apply for an FID? and if so does that FID give her any protection in so far as access to handguns within the home?

Thanks,

In mass I don't believe so but that would be a great test case...

She would be covered for ammo but not for large capacity stuff - how about a Henry in 357 for home protection?

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Daughter is not covered for anything other than ammo and bolt actions, pumps, etc; No handguns, no large cap (guns or mags) and anything fun.

Daughter should get the FID, if for no other reason than she'd be covered if ammo were left in the car, after a range trip.

FID is good for any non-large-cap long gun (Terra....Semi Autos that are not large cap are GTG).

FID is not good for any large cap long gun (e.g. AR, AK), or a handgun.

Daughter should get the FID, if for no other reason than she'd be covered if ammo were left in the car, after a range trip.
When my kid was about to get her driving license, I told her she would never be able to borrow my car unless she got an FID for exactly this reason.

Rob's point was, I think, that there is nothing in the MGLs that prohibit a PD from imposing additional requirements....at their discretion.

There are towns that do not recognize the validity of a Hunter Ed cert for LTC/FID issuance....and there is no sanction for this. So, a town that says, "You need a new cert!" can do what they want, as it's too much work to fight City Hall, when it's easier to take the damned class and complain about it on the interwebs.

'Cause Massachusetts.

Rob's point was, I think, that there is nothing in the MGLs that prohibit a PD from imposing additional requirements....at their discretion.

There are towns that do not recognize the validity of a Hunter Ed cert for LTC/FID issuance....and there is no sanction for this. So, a town that says, "You need a new cert!" can do what they want, as it's too much work to fight City Hall, when it's easier to take the damned class and complain about it on the interwebs.

'Cause Massachusetts.

Just because people accept the abuse, doesn't mean it's legal or right.

This law establishes that FID holders are exempt from the certificate/course requirement.

It does not make requiring a certificate not mandated by law using "suitability" as the justification a criminal or civil offense.

I am asking for the law that specifies the offense, and penalty, for a PD requiring a certificate when not mandated by law.

Just because people accept the abuse, doesn't mean it's legal or right.

Agreed. But, Comm2A is waiting for someone to go to the mattresses over the PD wanting a utility bill to prove residence, or Clancy Wiggum wanting a "real" BFS instead of the Hunter Ed card.

"There's no justice, there's just us."
-Gestapo Bob Harris
http://comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=38793

Back
Top Bottom