• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC expires weeks before moving out of MA - renew or not renew?

So I'm in South Carolina right now and my wife and I just completed the CWP course including the live fire. We still need to get fingerprinted at the local PD or Sheriff's office (no DIY) and then send in the applications. If something happens to you here and your wife does not have the CWP she can still take possession of the firearms. You don't need the carry permit to buy (legally of course) or legally possess firearms here -- just an SC driver's license proving residency or if you own another home here a "real property tax form" as proof that you own the property. Like you said, as a dual resident you can also get the CWP (LTC) from SLED (South Carolina Law Enforcement Division) with that tax form.

I'd renew the Mass. LTC. Moving down you have to drive through New York at least and maybe NJ, Delaware and Maryland. I know about FOPA but if something happens on the way down maybe (big maybe) your Mass. LTC has a remote chance of helping with a "situation."

I know it's been said before but coming down with any gun stuff do not speed! Do not give the police any reason to stop you (check tail lights, brake lights etc.). Don't speed in Virginia either -- the fines are huge. Once you get to NC and SC you can move along at whatever. :)

Welcome to the great state of South Carolina.

BTW, exceptions to the live fire test are disabled veteran, retired/former military, active military, retired law enforcement and active law enforcement.
I don't know how you could possibly flunk the live fire. My wife scored 49/50 hits and she's not what I'd call an experienced shooter. It should take you 5 minutes.

I am not a lawyer. YMMV

Definitely planning on getting SC CWP. I am surprised that they won't accept live fire certificate from different states.

LTC renewed.
Just as FYI - not sure how it's done in other towns but the "interview" was done over the phone, they do not allow anyone in the police building due to Covid.

LTC renewed.
Just as FYI - not sure how it's done in other towns but the "interview" was done over the phone, they do not allow anyone in the police building due to Covid.

Good going. Despite the "nay-sayers" at least now you are covered in this area if anything delays your future plans.

I'd bet that most PDs are doing the same thing, limiting physical access when other methods are available.

Back
Top Bottom