LTC expired 10 years ago. Renewal?

SDG

Hi guys, I have a colleague who was issued his LTC roughly 15 years ago in his 20s. He never purchase a gun, let it expire moved out of state for 10 years and is now back. In his time away he did not get an LTC or equivalent in any of the places he lived. Would this still fall under a renewal or does he go for his LTC again fresh?

I went five years and it was a straight renewal. But the licensing officer was on the fence of if he should process it like a renewal or a new one with a new safety certificate. In the end he just pushed it through as a renewal and I had it in 3 weeks.

Under MGL anyone licensed since 1998 is a renewal. Realize that the way MA treats renewals is the same as a new application with 2 exceptions (BFS cert and fingerprints are not required for renewal per MGL). That said, PDs love to make up "laws" and "rules" to suit their desire . . . so some will require a new course/BFS cert. The state may have lost the fingerprint card and require new prints.

Arbitrary other requirements may also come into play as chiefs play the suitability game. So s/he needs to check with the PD where he lives to see what they will require.

Last edited:
What Len said.

My wife was expired for close to 10 years and it was just a straight renewal. We did have her expired LTC and I believe it made a difference. Does he have the expired FID card.

Bob

If he had one and mover out of state without notifying them wouldn't that be a problem?
It might be unsuitable, but a problem?

If it was a problem,
what's the statute of limitations on it?

idjft.jpg

What state cert class actually teaches "skills" 😂
Ours had us practicing finger-bleeping so many controls
on so many different guns that I ejected a mag onto the floor
trying to drop a slide.
[shocked]
At least a 50/50 chance it was an NESer's gun,
but I ain't saying who...

Last edited:
Moving out of state automatically nullifies your resident LTC
No it doesn’t. I’ve yet to see someone who runs their validation after moving and sending their address change, show anything but a valid LTC. That said, I wouldn’t come back and carry on it.

Robin, I’d have your colleague talk to the PD and see how they want to treat it. Some will do as renewal and some won’t. Regardless, it’s the same application (less the lost/stolen affidavit) and your colleague can include the new cert regardless. They just need to check the correct box at the top.

I just did this same thing moved out of ma for 13 years moved back. Called state they said file a renewal. Only thing chief made me do was another gun safety class

Back
Top Bottom