• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC Expiration

tuna

NES Member
I know I shouldn't have to ask this question, but I can't find the info with my search-fu.

My wife has an old horseblanket LTC issued in 2003 with an expiration of 2007 (coming soon). I know that there was a cutoff for the LTC going from 4 to 6 years and I'm wondering where that is.
All I could find in the MGL was that the license was for 6 years, but it said nothing about those issued for 4 years. Just wondering if we need to renew (not a bad thing actually, since there is a better chance of getting her no restrictions now) or if she is ok for the next two years with an "expired" license that is still valid.

Thanks.

The horseblanket LTCs are still valid until expiration date. If it is close
or has passed, I would renew NOW. IMO I would try to go to the PD at least
a month before it expires, if not sooner.

If you're trying to renew to shed a restriction, you'll have to see what the
PD policy is on that, and it depends on who/where it was originally issued,
etc.

A good town will let you renew at any time, but some places are annoying
about not doing a renewal until X months or whatever before expiration.
Of course none of this has anything to do with the law, but rather the policy
of whatever PD you're dealing with.

My guess is that if you're in the same place that issued her a restricted
LTC, that they're not going to give her an early renewal unless there has
been a regime or policy change.

-Mike

She's two months away, I was just checking to see if it was good for 4 years as the license stated or was valid for 6. I seem to remember that some were "grandfathered" into being valid for 6 years, but wasn't sure.
I had awesome luck in having my own LTC upgraded from Sport and Target to no restrictions. I asked nicely with a detailed letter with a lot of information I'd gotten from this site and others. I checked in at the station, they took my old one and gave me the new one - no problem.

I seem to remember that some were "grandfathered" into being valid for 6 years, but wasn't sure.

You egregiously misunderstood what happened. There being no prior 6-year licenses, it necessarily follows that none could be "grandfathered." The license will expire on its stated expiration date.

Licenses issued after the effective date of Chapter 150 of 2004 are good for 6 years.

It is only good until the expiration date.

When the law changed to 6 years is was NOT retroactive. Her next renewal will be good for 6.

Back
Top Bottom