LTC eligibility if one has a DUI from 18 years ago?

zork51

NES Member
I trolled a bit but couldn't find a recent thread on this question. Someone I work with who lives in Westford, is almost 37. He got a DUI 18 years ago and says he doesn't believe he is eligible to get an LTC. He's done nothing wrong since..............I've seen one old thread someone had a link/list of firearm attorneys when someone asked about getting their rights restored.

So:

1. Does anyone know if this is TRUE? A DUI no matter how old would stop you from getting an LTC?
2. Does anyone know of any specific firearm / 2A rights attorneys contact info? I didn't search the net before asking here. I figured I'd start here as maybe someone can provide input.

Thanks

Brian

A DUI in Massachusetts after 1994 would make him a federally prohibited person. I don't recall the actual date, but the penalty went up to 2 1/2? years in prison. That makes anyone Convicted in Massachusetts after fter that date a PP.
Contact a lawyer before applying.

A DUI in Massachusetts after 1994 would make him a federally prohibited person. I don't recall the actual date, but the penalty went up to 2 1/2? years in prison. That makes anyone Convicted in Massachusetts after fter that date a PP.
Exactly. It appears it is possible. But get a lawyer to make it happen

A first offense DUI conviction on/after May 27 1994 is the kill zone.

A first offense DUI conviction on/after May 27 1994 is the kill zone.
It's not the date of the conviction, it is the date of the offense that determines PP status.
No If convicted, meaning found guilty or pled guilty. A CWOF, then he would be good to go. (speaking from experience)
CWOF per MGL is not a conviction for 1st time offense. However, "suitability" can still be an issue, so it depends on the chief/LO. A firearms attorney is the best bet to help put the applicant's best foot forward in these cases.

I trolled a bit but couldn't find a recent thread on this question. Someone I work with who lives in Westford, is almost 37. He got a DUI 18 years ago and says he doesn't believe he is eligible to get an LTC. He's done nothing wrong since..............I've seen one old thread someone had a link/list of firearm attorneys when someone asked about getting their rights restored.

So:

1. Does anyone know if this is TRUE? A DUI no matter how old would stop you from getting an LTC?
2. Does anyone know of any specific firearm / 2A rights attorneys contact info? I didn't search the net before asking here. I figured I'd start here as maybe someone can provide input.

Thanks

Brian
I have a DUI from when I was young. My only offense and got continuance without a finding. Must have been around 2003. I obtained my LTC roughly 8 years ago. Have my nursing license also. Ppl make mistakes. Hope it all works out.

I have a DUI from when I was young. My only offense and got continuance without a finding. Must have been around 2003. I obtained my LTC roughly 8 years ago. Have my nursing license also. Ppl make mistakes. Hope it all works out.
Thankfully, cwof is not a conviction.

ETA: len beat me to it.... lol

So:

Thanks

Brian
First step here as others have said......what state was the conviction in? This makes a HUGE difference in the next steps.

Thanks to all responders. I will "suggest" to him he consult a 2A attorney. Does any names come to mind in this field? Boy, it's hard to believe especially in this day and age that one makes mistake 18 years ago and they are punished for life.

Thanks to all responders. I will "suggest" to him he consult a 2A attorney. Does any names come to mind in this field? Boy, it's hard to believe especially in this day and age that one makes mistake 18 years ago and they are punished for life.
I'd start with @nstassel given his experience and that he posted in this thread.

Jason Guida.

My brother used him for his ltc application after a nh dui......he's not a prohibited person because it was in nh but suitability can be a problem. Guida is one of the best in this field. The cost was $950.

Massachusetts. I believe it was prior to Mehgan's law??
You said 18 years ago. That's 2003.....that makes him a fed prohibited person and he has alot of legal hurdles to jump. Guida may be able to do it.....but it'll cost him some cash. Is what it is.

It's not the date of the conviction, it is the date of the offense that determines PP status.

CWOF per MGL is not a conviction for 1st time offense. However, "suitability" can still be an issue, so it depends on the chief/LO. A firearms attorney is the best bet to help put the applicant's best foot forward in these cases.
CWOF is not a conviction true enough but then they "armed" the Police with "suitability" so as to circumvent the CWOF and they do it all the time. Suitability and She looks like a Witch, hang her, are one in the same thing.

CWOF is not a conviction true enough but then they "armed" the Police with "suitability" so as to circumvent the CWOF and they do it all the time. Suitability and She looks like a Witch, hang her, are one in the same thing.

Protip: if you live in a town where someone gets clocked on suitability for a 1st offense DUI they cwofed out on years ago, you might be in a Shit Town.

You have no idea. I got an unsuitable because of a single arrest with charges dismissed 19 years previously. A single arrest in a lifetime, non-violent, non drug, and dismissed. And there is nothing I can do about it. And while other states and municipalities don't care about the arrest, I will forever have to list that denial.

He can either go to the flrb to try to get his rights restored, or try to get the case vacated. This assumes its really a conviction and not some other disposition.
This 110% /thread. The FLRB is back in business. If we're talking about a conviction, this is the place to start. Then time to work on the feds.

Don't blow money on a lawyer just yet.

Contact the court house and get the disposition of the case.

If it was a conviction he's toast.

If a CWOF, THEN talk to the lawyer.

Don't blow money on a lawyer just yet.

Contact the court house and get the disposition of the case.

If it was a conviction he's toast.

If a CWOF, THEN talk to the lawyer.
It was a guilty verdict. Nevertheless, I suggested he talk to an attorney. He's not done anything wrong since.......... That should count for something........

Back
Top Bottom