• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC Denial for 209A question

FancyGunz

NES Member
I am posting this question on someone else's behalf.

A friend was recently denied a LTC-A in a green town due to a prior 209A restraining order. He described the incident that led to the restraining order on the form, told the officer about it after submitting the application (officer said "it should be OK"), but he checked "no" on the question asking about 209A restraining orders. This was a long time ago and he did not know that the order he had was specifically a 209A (most people just call it "restraining order" without knowing the different varieties - he knows now that it was a big mistake).

The denial was for suitability (lying on the form?). Is he screwed, or would he have a chance during appeal if he admitted his error?

So he described the restraining order on the form, also checked no 209A box, and the officer didn't say something when he submitted the application before sending it in? Doesn't sound very green to me. One thing i have heard that will always stick with me is "Ignorance of the law is not an excuse".

He could consult a firearms attorney like Jason Guida to guide him through sucking up to the firearms licensing officer, apologizing for his mistake. Sometimes that works.

Your friend should have asked: "what's a 209 restraining order mean?" Kinda weak there. If you don't understand, then don't check the block. Something to the effect that I had a restraint order taken out on me one time but I don't know what kind. Probably could have answered that question in less than 5 minutes by doing a BOP.

Best hire an attorney as others suggested and be very contrite, very contrite as for the officer saying everything should be okay, well it's a he said, he said and how well was the write up on the form?

If there is anything even slightly circumspect best thing to do is consult a firearms attorney first.

Back
Top Bottom