• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC application Waltham

KVX

An associate of mine had unrestricted LTC years ago in Waltham, MA. and she didn't renew when it expired, it's been about 7 years since expiration she says.

So i encouraged her to get her LTC back, few days ago she said she was told that she has to take a New BFS Course.

Is she correct about Waltham ?

* I was in a rush when she mentioned it, so I didn't have time to ask her who told her that.

Time limits on the course can vary from one day to 20 years, depending on the PD. They pay no nevermind to written laws. If you have saved a copy of the original cert, a little white out does wonders with the date of issue. This was told to me by a "friend", of course. Jack.

Watertown PD has been pulling that shit for ages whether the license had expired or not.
They were even taking to court over it, but the judge ruled in the towns favor.

I don't know if Walthams policy is SOP or not, but her LTC expiring 7 years ago probably had something to do with it.

Ch. 140, sec 131P (excerpts):

"(a) Any person making application for the issuance of a firearms identification card under section 129B, a license to carry firearms under section 131 or 131F or a permit to purchase under section 131A who was not licensed under the provisions of this chapter on June 1, 1998 shall, in addition to the requirements set forth in said section 129B, 131, 131A or 131F, submit to the licensing authority a basic firearms safety certificate;
. . . . Persons lawfully possessing a firearm identification card or license to carry firearms on June 1, 1998 shall be exempt from the provisions of this section upon expiration of such card or license and when applying for licensure as required under this chapter. . . ."

I gather person in question held an LTC on June 1, 1998, and, therefore, by a plain reading of the statute is exempt from the BFS certificate requirement. Issuing authorities are obliged to follow the statute.

Back
Top Bottom