• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC Application - TRO Vacated

OP, you signed it. No way around it, that's you legally saying the answers are true and correct. It's irrelevant who filled out the form.

And without a written record of "her" telling you it didn't matter it's hearsay. Hearsay is admissible in a District Court administrative hearing for a suitability denial, but this wouldn't be suitability issue so I don't know if hearsay would help you (probably wouldn't help in a suitability issue either but you would be able to submit it).

I don't think there is much you can do about it now, except talk to a firearms lawyer (there are a few routinely mentioned on NES). The bigger potential problem is that even if you get the LTC now, it could easily be revoked or denied on renewal later.

Full disclosure: my personal history, which you probably haven't seen talked about here, has left me a bit of a pessimist. I try to stick to clear facts but sometimes I take being cautious pretty far. Some would say too far.

Been there, answer yes, and explain.
If you answer no and they it shows up, you've lied and you will be most likely denied. Then no LTC or a big lawyer bill...and don't over explain!

l am filling out my LTC app and have a question. On question 12 it asks if you have been the subject of a 209a. I had been served a TRO in 2007 which was then vacated at the initial hearing date 10 days later. The court stamped the date and signed it under section F where it says "Prior Court Order Vacated" and underneath says all records of prior order shall be destroyed by all law enforcement agencies.

I had the PD check my BOP and the guy asked if I ever lived in another state, I told him always in MA. He did not get any info of me ever being at court. I was also never arrested for anything and never appeared in court for anything. Does this mean the TRO technically never existed as there is nothing in their system or is there anyway it would show?

Not sure how to answer the 209a question since there is no record of me ever getting one. Should I put No?

Last edited:
I think the bigger issue would be it came up on my BOP with my last name mispelled and wrong date of birth. She said she can not print that out as it is technically not me and it won't be an issue. I asked are you sure cause I don't want to put the wrong information on the application and said it wont be a problem and checked No for me and then I signed. Not sure what else I was suppose to do if they didn't want the information I provided and told them and didnt print out the order on my BOP.

I think the bigger issue would be it came up on my BOP with my last name mispelled and wrong date of birth. She said she can not print that out as it is technically not me and it won't be an issue. I asked are you sure cause I don't want to put the wrong information on the application and said it wont be a problem and checked No for me and then I signed. Not sure what else I was suppose to do if they didn't want the information I provided and told them and didnt print out the order on my BOP.

We're going in circles at this point.
You have no proof that this is what happened.
It isn't the local PD that will make an issue of it.
YOU legally declared that you never had an RO.
Obviously something in your information brought up the RO for her.

Maybe someone who knows can answer. If he is denied because of the RO and the "no" answer, is that appealed to the FRB (which seems to get better results) or is it a court thing?

i told her I had one that was vacated at the initial hearing after 10 days, I didn't show up to court and neither did the plaintiff. I mean im not gunna sit there and argue with the police about whats right and wrong. I had a copy of the RO. So if they don't want the information and tell me it won't be an issue when my name gets checked by state what exactly should I have done. LOL

She even called me on my way home to tell me mlre info and it wouldn't be an issue. So pretty sure that call would be logged.

I can tell you've never had to deal with proving something was said. I was naive once too, I made the same mistake. <dam this lack of good emojis is frustrating>

The problem is this may bite you in the ass on renewal 12 or 18 years from now. This is how this stuff goes. IMO, I would have signed a version that said yes on the TRO. Them having to reconcile that on their own system is their problem (wrong name and birthday or whatever). There is a very good sticky on the forum for applying for your LTC. That is the place to have started. I hope it all works out well for you, though.

I'm going to sit back for a while and wait for the post sometime in January that he has been delayed or flat out denied at a FFL ....

just an honest 34 yr old guy :)

I was 33 when the CoP told me I wouldn't have a problem. I'm 51 (as of Saturday) and it's a problem. In my case it's suitability so it is entirely a judgement call of the LE (Licensing Officer). The Chief from way back, now retired, even called the current Chief, but he doesn't care. So I even provided "proof" of what I was told.

Tell me again how your signing that an RO never existed when you absolutely know that it had isn't going to be an issue sooner or later?

I honestly wish you the best of luck, but I think your position that you provided the info and they didn't want it and so you are ok (regardless of what you signed) is delusional. And I get that you want to trust your retired cop buddies and the person who took your application, but the state and the courts don't care about this.

Ignore me and everyone here, talk to a lawyer. One that knows firearms law in MA.

And how can you claim to be honest when you lied on a firearms application? ;)

I'm going to sit back for a while and wait for the post sometime in January that he has been delayed or flat out denied at a FFL ....
To be honest I think he had very little to be concerned about a vacated TRO, this could have been a suitability denial but I'm sure there are POs with vacated ROs so they probably wouldn't want to go there.
Now it's falsifying the application, which I'm pretty sure is a criminal offense by itself. Of course I know a PO who falsified his for years and got caught (LTC revoked) but was never charged and even got his LTC back (or so I was told by the CoP)

To be honest I think he had very little to be concerned about a vacated TRO, this could have been a suitability denial but I'm sure there are POs with vacated ROs so they probably wouldn't want to go there.
Now it's falsifying the application, which I'm pretty sure is a criminal offense by itself. Of course I know a PO who falsified his for years and got caught (LTC revoked) but was never charged and even got his LTC back (or so I was told by the CoP)

I was thinking more that with similar names, etc, he is going to get dragged around by the powers that be when it comes time to buy.

UPIN will be in order

Do not assume this.

1. There are various levels of CORI check. The LE one is the most complete. Commoners see one of several various redacted versions.

2. There are multiple records - CORI, BOP, III ... hard to be sure you checked them all.

3. Individual PDs have their own record systems, and some officers have long memories.

Isn't it nice when the liberals demand that criminal records be sealed so everyone can have a second (or third or fourth) chance... except when you're applying for a license to exercise a constitutional right...

So I last posted on the 27th of November when I had my appointment with the LO. I got a letter in the mail today with my pin number and Class A unrestricted LTC FID. It was issued and approved on the 5th of December. Took a whole 8 days to get it. Spent longer in the mail to my house lol.

So I last posted on the 27th of November when I had my appointment with the LO. I got a letter in the mail today with my pin number and Class A unrestricted LTC FID. It was issued and approved on the 5th of December. Took a whole 8 days to get it. Spent longer in the mail to my house lol.

Wow! Congrats!

Very surprised but congratulations, hope it doesn't come back to haunt you later.

Little confused,. What's a "LTC FID" ? LTC and FID are two different things.

Back
Top Bottom