• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC Application Seeking Advice

I have been reading this forum for a fewyears and have learned a lot. So now I’m here asking a question I haven’t foundthe answer to regarding me and my soon to be LTC application. Some backgroundinformation, then the questions…
I have had my FID since 2008, with no problems what so ever.Owner of two long guns. When applying for my FID I was 18, turning 19. I’m now23 and applying for my LTC A in Middleboro Ma, ASAP.
One problem, and I’m hoping there are some knowledgeablemembers or lawyers on the forum to help me out with this, if not, at leastsomeone who can recommend me to a lawyer.
When applying for my FID at 18, there was a question askingif you have been arrested or had to defend yourself in the court of law. Mebeing younger, and apparently incompetent, I wrote no. This is because bothtimes I was in court it was dismissed or I was under 18.
My History- I was arrested when I was 14ish? For shopliftingabout 60$ worth of goods, went to court, and it was dismissed after I paidcourt fees of about 50$.
Second time in court I was 18 years old, and was defendingmyself against charges I believe called wreck less operation of a motor vehicle,or driving to endanger, after driving through a stop sign and speeding on acountry road. Honestly I’m not positive what the charges were called now. I wasput on 6 months of unsupervised probation, paid the fee and the court fee andwas told if I mess up then ill be back in court. However I didn’t, and haven’t since.
Me, being ignorant, wrote no on the questions thinking thecharges were magically erased. Not sure why. However I want to do it correctlythis time, without digging myself into a deeper hole. So essentially myquestion is what should I write on this LTC form. Should I get a CORI reportand write down only what is on that CORI report? Or should I just explain it asbest as possible?

Do you know the chief or LO, if you do and in a green town, not sure about Middleboro, you could just ask. If not though, wait until advised by someone more knowledgable than the two of us.

Getting a CORI report on yourself is a waste of time/money. It will NOT always show what the PD sees when they run a BOP on you.

Go to the court(s) where your cases were heard. Go to the Clerk's office and ask them to pull your cases and make copies of the Docket Sheet. It will tell the charges, dates and disposition so you can get it right. For the Juvie stuff you may have to prove that you are you as those aren't usually public (but the PD DOES get the info). Then put down on your app an honest answer based on that info and it wouldn't hurt to give the PD a copy of your copy of those Docket Sheets.

Good luck. I doubt that you'll have any problems if you do this . . . and NO, I don't think you need a lawyer to get involved.

If i do not know the exact date can they look it up using my name? And is there a price tag/ wait time for the information? Also, do you think itd be wise to let the PD know that i wrote no on the first application years ago, before they cross reference them and find out themselves?

If i do not know the exact date can they look it up using my name? And is there a price tag/ wait time for the information? Also, do you think itd be wise to let the PD know that i wrote no on the first application years ago, before they cross reference them and find out themselves?

The paper (old) indexes that I've used were by year and then alphabetical.

Only cost was for copying if you do the search yourself. The charge per page was $0.50 or $1.00 depending on the courthouse. If someone had to dig out the file, you waited, usually no more than 5-15 minutes.

I wouldn't raise any issues unless they do first.

I appreciate the help. I have the docket sheets. The charge was 'Negligent Operation of a Motor Vechicle'. So my las tquestion. Is this charge a criminal offense? Question 10. Asks Have you ever been in court as a defendent for any criminal offense, excluding non criminal traffic charges. Would my answer be yes.

Also, as far as the Shoplifting under 100$ charge from when i was very young. Just make a note and estimate the year?

Last edited:
I appreciate the help. I have the docket sheets. The charge was 'Negligent Operation of a Motor Vechicle'. So my las tquestion. Is this charge a criminal offense? Question 10. Asks Have you ever been in court as a defendent for any criminal offense, excluding non criminal traffic charges. Would my answer be yes.

Also, as far as the Shoplifting under 100$ charge from when i was very young. Just make a note and estimate the year?

Negligent Operating is MGL C. 90 S. 24 and is a Misdemeanor. So yes it was a criminal charge.

I'd still try to get the Docket Sheet for the Juvie offense. It might be a bit of a hassle as those records aren't "public" (but freely given to LE agencies on a query) and you have to prove that you are the defendant to be able to obtain them. Worst case, I would do as you suggested and explain that you weren't able to obtain the record. HONESTY is the most important part of filling out that part of the application.

Back
Top Bottom