• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC Application is in. Now the wait

jon

Well, Tuesday Afternoon I put My LTC app in. so now its just a waiting game. I was told I should have it in 3-4 weeks.

and by put it in, I was there through the entire process of entering the info into the computer. including the "ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES" under reason of isssuance[grin].

All in all a pretty painless expereince. The town did add a few "extra" things on to the application. But none were hard or unreasonable. Personally while many feel this is illegal I feel comfortable with it.

1) Personal letter explaining who you are, what you want and why. To me this is just a cover letter and I owuld do it anyways.

2) Letters of reference from 3 town residents. All the letters need to say is "I reccomend so and so for an LTC". Pretty much so you can't write down imaginary people or people who don't reccomend you. I was also was told these are the same people who you write as references on the form.

3) Come in and meet with the issuing officer. This was easy. Officer Hingst who was also the town prosecuter (recent promotion). Was exteremly helpful in finding a good time for me to come in and apologetic that it could not be scheduled sooner. "Interview" took a little while in which he asked if I had read the laws on the CHSB website, about previous training.

Pretty much it seems that the town is practicing due Diligence to ensure that you are being honest on your application and to keep on file.

So soon I will be able to bring up my sig 229 and pick up the 22 pistol I have been meaning to get

Last edited:
many feel this is illegal

yup, there isn't even a place for references to be listed on the app any more. I mentioned the no references listed on the app to our CLEO and he said

"why have it there? Are you going to put someone who WON'T recommend you?"

It's a good point.

Hope your wait isn't too long.

Last edited:
the vibe I got was the town was covering its ass.

A pitiful excuse for the superfluous, unwarranted and unauthorized.

The form provides for 2 references. Period. None if it's for an FID and NO "letters of reference."

Since the statute provides for a uniform application and the CHSB is the creator of that application, it follows that local yokel BS is an unauthorized alteration of the statutory application.

Your app, your life, your call.

Good luck. I have to agree with Scriv on the "extras."

It's an abuse of power, and just another example of the iron thumb that lawful MA gun owners live under.

But I hope you get that ALP anyway. [wink]

Luckily I live in a town that accepts the application fully filled out, along with your course completion certificate (Received my LTC A No Restrictions, which I'm VERY grateful for!). Two of the three references were from out of state. The only questions asked were "So you used to live in xxxxxxxx city?", "How long have you lived here in xxxxxxx?", and "You've never had firearms license?". It was a breeze, but the wait was excruciating (54 days).

Jr

Last edited:
Luckily I live in a town that just excepts
Maybe we need a sticky covering such grammer issues as "except" vs. "accept", "effect" vs. "affect" and "alot" vs. "a lot" vs. "allot'. We could get the scriv to sign on as moderator.

I have a question pertaining to a cosmetic difference in an application from a town. All the questions are still the standard, but the form itself simply looks different. Would that be something classified as being "illegal" or is it legal because the questions are standard?

*snicker* I see that others are taking up the (futile) job of correcting grammar and spelling. May you have the same luck I've had. Kind of like herding cats.

jon, your town isn't "covering it's ass", it's telling you flat out that they don't believe you when you tell them something (thus the need for the letters). As for a reason... how about "It's my G-d given right as a free man"? Let's see what they actually issue you, and how long it takes them. I'd love to be proven wrong and have them give you an ALP or one with "none" for restrictions.

Anyway, good luck.

105 days and counting here.
I was told to call my local PD if I hadn't received it by the end of last week.
So hopefully Monday they'll give me some good news.

Well

After everybody doubted. I got my LTC this week. Well actually it came in last week, but they had some issues at the Police station and lost it before I picked it up. (I personally confirmed this with the CHSB). I also heard from an employee at the station off the books that heads were rolling down the hallway.

So from my submission of the App to the card in my hands a little under 5 weeks would have been 4 on the button without the reprint.

there was a little wait to get the appt for the MIRCS crap. But small town numbers and vacations get in the way. (INCLUDING MY OWN)

Oh and its a Class A ALP. [laugh2]

picked up a 22/45 at four seasons last night as well.

Back
Top Bottom