LTC and moving out of state

drboom

NES Member
If I am very very lucky, my wife will agree soon and we will begin the housing search in southern NH. I recently renewed my LTC in MA - I'm aware and have followed the rules for notification each time I've moved in-state. My question is, what happens when I move out of state? Do I file the same letters I would if I moved in state? Will my LTC be voided or is it still valid until expiration?

Thanks, Jon

Once you are no longer a state resident, your MA LTC is no longer applicable or valid.

No notice of out of state move is necessary.

Just remember to sell us poor Mass resident suckers any hard to find handguns you have in your possession before you leave!!!! [wink] Figure with what you'd make on the sale, you'll be able to buy two of the same in NH for the same price.

You still should (MUST) notify FRB and issuing town within 30 days when you move to comply with the law. If you were ever insane enough to move back to MA (we can't read the future), and you didn't do this, you could be DQ'd on any future attempt to get a MA LTC. Likewise you could be DQ'd for a NR LTC should you be so inclined.

No point on risking it for the cost of two Certified Mail (ONLY) letters.

Yes, LTC allegedly becomes invalid immediately upon moving out of state.

Last edited:
Agree with LenS. You're going to be doing a lot of paperwork anyway, two more letters and about $7 to ensure your right to a NR LTC shouldn't take too much time.

Well, if you really want to comply with the letter of the law (just in case), then you probably should send three letters rather than two. Just because the town to which you're moving is out of state and will simply shit-can the letter, the law does call for all three.
shrug.gif

Ken

We are getting closer to actually moving! Does anyone know the current policy for issuing non-resident LTC in MA? Are they still issuing ALP or...? Is the response time similar to a resident LTC - that is 4-16 weeks, whenever someone feels like processing the app? I tried searching by I didn't find any helpful threads - I must not have picked the right search term as it seems like this would be a frequent question.

And yes, I'll post a sale of some of my toys that are hard to find in MA before we leave the state.

Thanks, Jon

You will need to go to your local authority and apply for you non res. lic. be aware, it is 100.00 PER YEAR!!!!!! freakin rip offs!
It can take 6 to 9 weeks and the reason usually is target or sporting unless you have a valid reason ( by letterhead explanation) and if they consider it valid they may issue it for alp but I rarely see that.

The Firearms Record Bureau issues non resident Ltcs (617) 660-4780.
It's my understanding that they issue non restricted licenses.

madmarc, that is bad info. Why would you need to go to your local authority if you're not a resident, to apply for a MASS NR LTC?

Come on.

And yes from what I have seen and heard they only issue unrestricted licenses.

You will need to go to your local authority and apply for you non res. lic. be aware, it is 100.00 PER YEAR!!!!!!

Nonsense. Your "local authority" has zero authority to issue an NR LTC as said local is, necessarily, NOT in Massachusetts. [rolleyes]

NR LTC's are issued by the state. Contact CHSB for details.

My good personal friend who lives in Warwick RI just got his non resident LTC and got it through his local authority.
All I was saying is check with your local lic.auth. for the proper info. They can tell you the correct way to do it.
He did and got it through RI, this is not heresay it is truth.

FRB is the ONLY licensing authority at this time for MA Non-Resident LTCs. Most police departments in other states don't give a rat's ass what Massachuetts laws and NR LTC procedures are and in general will look at you weird and tell you to go check with the proper Massachusetts authority. I would double check the veracity of your story before calling it the truth. This sounds like the "shipping to game wardens" stupidity.

Sorry Marc, the info is bad. CHSB/FRB issues ALL NR MA LTCs as designee of the MA State Police (who are chartered with this task by MGL).

The forms are NOT online and must be obtained by calling the phone number that JonJ posted earlier in this thread.

Here's the cite and info from the CHSB website:
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...&b=terminalcontent&f=chsb_frb_faqs&csid=Eeops

Q: Can a nonresident obtain a permit to carry a weapon in Massachusetts?

A: M.G.L. c. 140, § 131F allows the Colonel of the State Police or his designee to issue a temporary LTC to nonresidents or persons not falling within the jurisdiction of a local licensing authority. Currently, the Firearms Record Bureau (FRB) has been designated to issue permits to nonresidents. The phone number of the FRB is (617) 660-4780.

P.S. "local licensing authority" refers to someone in MA, not the chief/sheriff in RI or Alaska!

All being said, per MGL, no NR LTC holder can purchase ANY guns or ammo (exception: to use at the range where the ammo is sold, none may legally be removed from the premises by the NR LTC holder) per MGLs.

Thus the NR LTC is only useful to make mere possession here legal, not to buy anything.

So I'm well aware that the FRB handles non-res LTC requests - my question is if anyone has recent experience with them to know if they are restricting their licenses and what the turnaround is. I'm guessing the answer is no given the current conversation.
I'll still work in MA and around the corner from MRA so I'd very much like to continue carrying in my daily life (would seem odd to move to a free state only to lose that in most of my days) and be able to head over at lunch to play at the MRA.

Thanks, Jon

It is my understanding that:

- NR LTCs are issued as Class A/NO Restrictions (or equivalent wording/lack thereof).

- Turn around is better than most of us encounter as residents!

Turn-around is highly variable, depending on vacation schedules, manpower (1 year the folks were re-assigned OUT of the job that processed applications, thus creating a many month delay at the state level - if Devil/Sec of Public Safety wants to screw us, they can do this with the stroke of a pen).

My good personal friend who lives in Warwick RI just got his non resident LTC and got it through his local authority.
All I was saying is check with your local lic.auth. for the proper info. They can tell you the correct way to do it.
He did and got it through RI, this is not heresay [sic] it is truth.

No, it is not.

Local chiefs can only issue to Mass. residents who are either residents of or owners of businesses in their town. Period.

It is more likely your friend got his RI permit from the Warwick chief and you misunderstood him.

I don't know more than Scrivener on this issue, that's for sure. But in a recent incident in Norton, the issuing Detective told a Norton licensed person who had moved to New York that their Massachusetts license was valid until the date of expiration. (Valid in MA) This was in answer to a question asked concerning guns owned and stored in Norton when the person moved, and whether the person could legally transfer ownership or move the firearms.

I'd take Scriveners opinion over mine though.

He did and got it through RI, this is not heresay it is truth.
Apply some common sense and critical thinking.

Nobody in Rhode Island (or any state for that matter) has the authority to issue a MA NR LTC nor to apply on your behalf.

What you were told could not be more incorrect.

Even I know this.

I don't know more than Scrivener on this issue, that's for sure. But in a recent incident in Norton, the issuing Detective told a Norton licensed person who had moved to New York that their Massachusetts license was valid until the date of expiration. (Valid in MA) This was in answer to a question asked concerning guns owned and stored in Norton when the person moved, and whether the person could legally transfer ownership or move the firearms.

I'd take Scriveners opinion over mine though.

LTC goes invalid the moment you move out of state.

But in a recent incident in Norton, the issuing Detective told a Norton licensed person who had moved to New York that their Massachusetts license was valid until the date of expiration. (Valid in MA)

One must usually consult a dispatcher or internet chat rooms to get legal insights of that quality.......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom