LTC and FID

I was talking with a friend of mine the other day, and he mentioned that it wouldn't be a bad idea to get an FID *IN ADDITION TO* an LTC, in case something stupid happened, then I could at least keep my long guns.

Can this be done?

Yes it is possible, and some hold both. Whether that allows you to keep your long guns and ammunition will depend on for what reason you are losing your LTC. If it's due to some domestic abuse call or a restraining order, count on them carting all of them away.

It can be done, but is kind of impractical for a couple of reasons. First, once you have your LTC, it's really unlikely that it's going to be suspended or revoked for a non-statutory reason. And if it is, they're probably going to pull your FID too, (even though it may not be legal to do so - tell it to the judge). Finally, if you look at 140/129D, you can easily read it to mean that an LTC (i.e. "any firearms license") suspension or revocation requires you to surrender "all firearms, rifles, shotguns and machine guns and ammunition which he then possesses".

I'd save the $100 and buy ammo.

It can be done, but is kind of impractical for a couple of reasons. First, once you have your LTC, it's really unlikely that it's going to be suspended or revoked for a non-statutory reason. And if it is, they're probably going to pull your FID too, (even though it may not be legal to do so - tell it to the judge). Finally, if you look at 140/129D, you can easily read it to mean that an LTC (i.e. "any firearms license") suspension or revocation requires you to surrender "all firearms, rifles, shotguns and machine guns and ammunition which he then possesses".

I'd save the $100 and buy ammo.

What he said, theyre really the same thing, and your chief is not going to say 'were taking your ltc but you can keep the fid', save your money.

I was issued a LTC with a typo ( admittedly, this was in the old horse-blanket days) where the date of expiration was the date it was issued (so its duration was one day!)

My initial contact with the license desk was, "Well, you'll have to re-apply." [shocked]

IN point of fact, the Lt. in charge did a new one immediately, but.....

Actually, I've been told many times that it's "Illegal, and when you get a LTC they cut up the FID while you watch" [rolleyes] so having both gives me humor value, too!

I have both my FID and my LTC. The FID CANNOT be revoked for "suitability". This is important to me, as I tend to do some things which might stretch the chief's definition of "suitable". He might be able to take away my pistols and my AR, but I'm keeping everything else.

I have both my FID and my LTC. The FID CANNOT be revoked for "suitability". This is important to me, as I tend to do some things which might stretch the chief's definition of "suitable". He might be able to take away my pistols and my AR, but I'm keeping everything else.

I don't think dressing up in womens clothing will make you unsuitable, unless of course you're wearing a thigh holster while doing so [rofl]

Read my comments carefully. The FID cannot legally be revoked for suitability. In point of fact there are chief who do this and there are courts who have supported them. Nine hundred, ninety-nine time out of 1000, if they revoke your LTC, they're going to revoke your FID.

If you're in legitimate fear of having your LTC, but not your FID, revoked for suitability, you will proably have a really good civil rights case if that happens.

The other thing to be aware of is that even if they left you with the FID (very iffy at best), when they confiscate everything, they mean EVERYTHING! I've been told by a few chiefs/licensing officers that they come in and sweep clean. They will not listen to this one is exempt (FID) or this one belongs to my roommate/SO who still has a valid LTC. Sorry, but everything goes. And if they use the bonded warehouses, they are REALLY GONE by the time you'd get up to the PD with any paperwork to prove who rightfully owns something (or that item x is FID-compliant).

I don't think dressing up in womens clothing will make you unsuitable, unless of course you're wearing a thigh holster while doing so [rofl]

Depends on the designer! And, remember: no wearing white after Labor Day - that's a lifetime statutory diaqualifier! [laugh]

What can I say? My issuing chief is a strict social conservative [laugh]

Read my comments carefully. The FID cannot legally be revoked for suitability. In point of fact there are chief who do this and there are courts who have supported them. Nine hundred, ninety-nine time out of 1000, if they revoke your LTC, they're going to revoke your FID.

If you're in legitimate fear of having your LTC, but not your FID, revoked for suitability, you will proably have a really good civil rights case if that happens.

That's actually what I'm hoping for, if it ever comes to that.

The other thing to be aware of is that even if they left you with the FID (very iffy at best), when they confiscate everything, they mean EVERYTHING! I've been told by a few chiefs/licensing officers that they come in and sweep clean. They will not listen to this one is exempt (FID) or this one belongs to my roommate/SO who still has a valid LTC. Sorry, but everything goes. And if they use the bonded warehouses, they are REALLY GONE by the time you'd get up to the PD with any paperwork to prove who rightfully owns something (or that item x is FID-compliant).

I think they'd have a hell of a time trying that around here.

Back
Top Bottom