LTC ADVICE: BOSTON STUDENT RESIDENT IN GREEN TOWN

Remembering my college days, partying at friends' off-campus apartments, I would NEVER leave guns/valuables in an off-campus apartment. A lot smarter to store your guns at your parents' home and retrieve them when you need them. NOTHING was secure during those parties, nothing!

Likely you have a 9 month lease just for the school year and may be in a different apartment the following school year. That doesn't make your student apartment very "permanent", I'd use your parents' address for everything and I doubt that any PD would have a problem with that.
Is it recommended to mention this to the PD? I assume no right?

So follow up question, if all else was perfect, would it be an issue to have a license from the green town and store the firearm legally in the apartment in Boston?

You go through the town to get the permit, but it's a state permit.
Is there anything in Boston specific laws where they won't honor your permit?

Is it recommended to mention this to the PD? I assume no right?
I wouldn't volunteer any info that isn't asked for, as a matter of policy. However, it is not unusual around the Boston area for students to live on/off campus and have their real home listed at their parents residence. Usually their addresses change annually and they go home in the Summer, so doing address change notifications continually is a huge PITA for everyone and not worth it under those circumstances.

Let me paint a different, but similar picture. A neighbor and fellow high school grad became VP of Nursing at one of the large Boston hospitals. When I visited her at work one time, she told me that she lives with her Family on Cape Cod but has a local to Boston condo where she "lives" during the work week. Her Husband and children live at the Cape address. What is her permanent address? As she told me, she only uses the Cape Cod address for everything.

You can only be a resident of one city or town.
Cite?

Remembering my college days, partying at friends' off-campus apartments, I would NEVER leave guns/valuables in an off-campus apartment. A lot smarter to store your guns at your parents' home and retrieve them when you need them.
^ THIS.

If you spend most of your time in your leased apartment in Boston then you live in Boston. Failure to update your driver's license is not a loophole.
Unless you go to a college in NH, then you live and vote in your college town in NH, and also live and vote in your hometown.
It's a double secret loophole.
MA doesn't matter. All the ballot counters in the large population centers in the gerrymandered districts are gov't hacks.

Ask yourself this, OP: where did you complete the census? Where would you be eligible for jury duty?

Your green town knows you and is eager to welcome you back after your temporary junket in the Big City. Let them take care of it.

Calm down folks... I lived in Boston right after college. I had two roommates at any given time but they moved out and were replaced by others so while in that same apartment I had lived with seven different people in total. I had guns the whole time and locked my room whenever I wasn't home or if we were having a party. I think four of the seven knew about my guns and at least one of those was a big lefty. My coworkers also knew that I had guns, although not that I carried to the office downtown every day. I'm still here to tell the tale.

I got my LTC in Boston as a college student using off campus apt. Applied in Back Bay. Pretty straightforward but had to shoot a “qualification“ out at Deer Island or some other godforsaken place where BPD has a range. 10 degrees outside, the cop hands me a 4” 38 (60s vintage) and a target. He rummages around in an old coffee can for some rounds (no two of which were the same). He tells me to out and shoot and bring the target back when finished. I was shaking from the cold and nerves but somehow managed to shoot well enough and he signed off. Go apply, don’t get hung up on the location. Buy a small handgun safe and attach a copy of the receipt to the application, not required, but shows knowledge of the storage laws and that you’ve committed to follow them. You want to settle any thoughts they might have about a student just leaving a g around the apt. As for the off campus apt., as long as not college affiliated you are good to go. Good luck!

I got my LTC in Boston as a college student using off campus apt. Applied in Back Bay. Pretty straightforward but had to shoot a “qualification“ out at Deer Island or some other godforsaken place where BPD has a range. 10 degrees outside, the cop hands me a 4” 38 (60s vintage) and a target. He rummages around in an old coffee can for some rounds (no two of which were the same). He tells me to out and shoot and bring the target back when finished. I was shaking from the cold and nerves but somehow managed to shoot well enough and he signed off. Go apply, don’t get hung up on the location. Buy a small handgun safe and attach a copy of the receipt to the application, not required, but shows knowledge of the storage laws and that you’ve committed to follow them. You want to settle any thoughts they might have about a student just leaving a g around the apt. As for the off campus apt., as long as not college affiliated you are good to go. Good luck!

He will be tied to Boston LEO/LO for the six years of the license. If he doesn't have to be why would he do that?

If OP applies in Boston his current FID from his green town could be suspended/revoked for failure to notify of address change. Wouldn’t that kill the LTC?

If OP applies in Boston his current FID from his green town could be suspended/revoked for failure to notify of address change. Wouldn’t that kill the LTC?

Under G.L. ch. 140, section 131, one must apply for a non-business LTC in the city or town of which he is a resident, where residency means domicile. As the OP stated his facts, he is not a resident of Boston.

... residency means domicile.
Cite?

"Resident" is not defined in Ch. 140 §121, at least.

Mass tax guidance...

Your domicile, or legal residence, is your true home or main residence. You may have multiple residences at one time, but only 1 domicile.​

....(which happens to agree with ATF gun regs,
although who knows if that's sheer coincidence).

Mass LO's may disallow a choice of LTC residences,
but so far neither of us I can point to written law saying that.

The EOPSS/DCJIS LTC application calls for "residence address",
but neither the form nor the cover page on the web defines it.

Ah! It does call for Drivers License Number.
No police department will neglect to cross-match that info.

Cite?
but so far neither of us I can point to written law saying that.

Neither can the OP. Because it doesn't matter, does it, OP? Because you live with your parents, don't you? In that green town you live in, right? You know, that town where you vote? The one on your license? You know the one, hmmm?

F Boston and their restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom