• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC-A (Target and Hunting) - Transporting on MBTA

I was just approved for my LTC-A from Boston, restricted to Target and Hunting. I have looked on the internet for an answer, but couldn’t find anything definite, although it appears to be okay. My question is; if I carry my firearm unloaded, inside of a locked container, which would be inside of a backpack, it is okay to transport it on the MBTA (commuter rail and subway) to and from the range?

The MBTA has no prohibition on the legal transport of firearms, you can CCW on the T, so transporting in a unloaded condition, ammo and weapon in different locked containers, so as they are not readily accessible to you should be fine.

The only people who can't carry on the T are employees, unless they have written permission from on high (cops, and when they had the Money Room, the armored car drivers and people who went in to the stations to get the vaults ).

Thank you, appraiser. Is a case like this okay or does it have to be a special "MA compliant" case?

That case should be fine. If you're heading to the range via the T I'd highly suggest being as discreet as possible. That means keep the molle webbing on range bags to a minimum, avoid advertising (NRA hats, Ruger stickers, etc), and try to just look at "normal" as possible.

When I first started shooting I would transport my shotgun in a nylon case. Well on the red line a few years back some drunk comes up to me and asks "Are you going hunting?". After that it was guitar cases and JanSport backpacks.

Why wouldn’t you carry it on your person in a holster? If you are on the way to the range that should be one of the instances in which you can CC, no?

That’s the route I would take. Especially on the T.

Why wouldn’t you carry it on your person in a holster? If you are on the way to the range that should be one of the instances in which you can CC, no?

That’s the route I would take. Especially on the T.
Not as a Boston resident. Their restrictions mean NO CCW at any time outside your home/range/workplace.
Every city/town interprets restrictions differently. Boston makes it crystal clear on the papers they give applicants.

Not as a Boston resident. Their restrictions mean NO CCW at any time outside your home/range/workplace.
Every city/town interprets restrictions differently. Boston makes it crystal clear on the papers they give applicants.

So it’s not truly a license to carry, it’s a license to transport?

So it’s not truly a license to carry, it’s a license to transport?
The definition of "carry" in MA is any movement. Even locked and disassembled in the trunk of a car is "carry" if you are driving.

But then a Firearm is not a rifle or shotgun, but a handgun. So, a Firearm ID Card in MA allows you to buy and possess guns that are not considered "firearms" under MGL. You need a license without "firearm" in the name to do that. It's sort of like parking on a driveway and driving on a parkway.

When I first started shooting I would transport my shotgun in a nylon case. Well on the red line a few years back some drunk comes up to me and asks "Are you going hunting?". After that it was guitar cases and JanSport backpacks.

I typically use guitar and fishing cases with band or fishing patches to complete the look. Picked out luggage locks which aren't too conspicuous size and color wise. Still had some hobo make me last summer by smelling the powder on my shirt. Wasn't too happy about it. Most people are too engrossed in their phones to really look at each other anymore.

I also use nanovaults inside a backpack.

Thank you, everyone, for all of your help; I really do appreciate it. I plan to transport it in that case (that I referenced in the link) inside of a black, nondescript mini backpack. I have one last question; if I stop at, say, Starbucks, on my way to or from the range, and my firearm is stored the way I said it will be, is that a problem, or do I need to go directly from the range to my home, and vice versa? Once again, thank you for all of your help.

No problem as long as you do not put it down anywhere.

Could you elaborate please? Is that due to his specific restriction (putting it down means they're no longer "on the way" to and from the range)? Or, due to Boston specifics? If so, how does that matter if the OP is carrying in locked containers, unloaded, ammo separate, no CC?

I've only heard similar warnings in instances where someone decided to CCW to and from the range with a restriction.

If you’re carrying, then it has to be under your direct control. Ex: Would going into a single-person bathroom with a lockable door to the outside world and you hanging your backpack on a hook on the door while you do your business constitute “direct control?” Who knows, but for that small time period, you’re the only person who has access to it to the exclusion of anyone short of a manager unlocking the door from the outside.

Either way, don’t overthink it, don’t draw attention, and don’t be so paranoid that you think other people are watching you.

Last edited:
To clarify, transporting in a vehicle unloaded, in a locked container, not in your direct control, is transporting.

Transporting in a backpack, unloaded, in a locked container, is carrying.

Would putting the backpack down constitue storage, just as parking your car and leaving is now storage vs transport? If not, how is that any different than putting a gun in a locked container, driving to a gun friendly public building (for arguments sake), and leaving the weapon out of your direct control unloaded and in the locked container? Would it not be argued that a firearm in a locked container in a backpack is not in your direct control since you need to unlock it to access?

Yes, putting it down and walking away would be storage. That locked container however makes it "letter of the law legal". However if someone walks off with it, he will absolutely certainly lose his LTC in Boston. And they may use the recent Fluery case about "flimsy lock" to try to jack him up wrt the container. Don't give them that opportunity . . . it's called Massprudence.

I wouldn’t dare put that bag down, even if it was in front of me! If I did decide to sit down at Starbucks, you can be sure that the bag would either be in my hand or in my lap with my arm around it.

Makes sense, thanks and agreed. There's a lot I do above and beyond because MA, but was curious if your comment was saying that action was illegal or just highly ill-advised.

Mystic Valley Gun Club and the Boston Gun and Rifle Association are both on the subway (orange and red lines respectively). A lot of their membership take the MBTA to and from those clubs without incident. Hundreds or more of LTC holders carry on the commuter rail, buses, ferries, and the subway daily. The main thing is to not scare the general public (you will get boned on suitability) and stay in compliance with MA law with regards to transport/carry.

The old MBTA website used to actually have a FAQ which stated the MGL and they've confirmed on Twitter in the past.

View: https://twitter.com/brooklinenews/status/657346019382837248

Last edited:
I had to Google this place. I'm amazed Cambridge allowed them to stay in business as long as they did. It's unfortunate that there aren't many places to purchase guns and ammunition in the city and/or off of public transportation. I think people may have many misconceptions about who gun owners are.

I think people may have many misconceptions about who gun owners are.

Ain't that the truth! This is why it's important to be "out" to friends and family about the fact that you are a law-abiding gun owner, and that guns are not something to be scared of.

Speaking of which, it's been a while since I've offered to bring noobs to the range on my Facebook. I should do that. It's amazing what actually shooting a gun does to clear up misconceptions about them.

I had to Google this place. I'm amazed Cambridge allowed them to stay in business as long as they did. It's unfortunate that there aren't many places to purchase guns and ammunition in the city and/or off of public transportation. I think people may have many misconceptions about who gun owners are.
I worked at MIT/Instrumentation Lab as an NU Co-Op back in 1967-69, we were at Albany St. in Cambridge and many of us would walk down to Central Square at lunchtime. One day one of my co-workers was headed back from lunch carrying a shotgun (I do not think it was cased) which he bought at a pawn shop on Mass Ave. He left it with Security in our building until after work. No issues whatsoever!!

Ain't that the truth! This is why it's important to be "out" to friends and family about the fact that you are a law-abiding gun owner, and that guns are not something to be scared of.

Speaking of which, it's been a while since I've offered to bring noobs to the range on my Facebook. I should do that. It's amazing what actually shooting a gun does to clear up misconceptions about them.

I think the worst part is having to explain my interest in firearms and target shooting to friends and family. I think we can all agree that none of us really care what a random person thinks, but when it comes to the people we love and care about, it can be very frustrating when they start acting like they “don’t know us” when we tell them about our hobby.

I think the worst part is having to explain my interest in firearms and target shooting to friends and family. I think we can all agree that none of us really care what a random person thinks, but when it comes to the people we love and care about, it can be very frustrating when they start acting like they “don’t know us” when we tell them about our hobby.

That can be cleared with gradual introduction to the range. Take them to the range and show them all the families who go out on the weekends and spend quality time at the range. They’d be surprised without you even saying a word.

I worked at MIT/Instrumentation Lab as an NU Co-Op back in 1967-69, we were at Albany St. in Cambridge and many of us would walk down to Central Square at lunchtime. One day one of my co-workers was headed back from lunch carrying a shotgun (I do not think it was cased) which he bought at a pawn shop on Mass Ave. He left it with Security in our building until after work. No issues whatsoever!!

People were also able to drive around with gun racks right in the back window of their pick up truck up until the mid 90's. Would like to see someone do that now..

Back
Top Bottom