LTC-A restricted to "target"?

I know I'm not a lawyer (just a pedant at best) but that seems like a really dangerous trap on their end if they don't provide the definition in writing. I would think it possible to argue that without a complete, written definition that can be referenced at the time, your signature was under duress (Hobson's choice: sign despite being uninformed, or throw away your investment and effectively rescind your RKBA). Even with activist judges, I'd think being strong armed by your chief of police is a no-no.

I think that you would have a hard time getting a judge in Mass to agree with you, even though most of us would.

but that seems like a really dangerous trap on their end if they don't provide the definition in writing
Despite the faults of the Brookline process, failure to formally define, in writing, what their "Target only" restriction means is not one of them.

Once you have completed the requirements (total of $350 + gas), they tell you what you will get. In this case, a restricted LTC. You are then asked whether you accept the restriction or not. I didn't ask what my options are if I say I do not accept it. However, understanding how the process works after this thread, it sounds like its either:

1. take this restricted LTC-A or

2. Piss us off, waste money on a lawyer, and get this restricted LTC-A.

Which would you pick?

What are the requirements in Brookline? I'm in Milton and only costed me $100 for the application fee and I do have a "sporting" restriction but the issuing officer said I can ask to remove the restriction after a year or so if I did not get into any trouble.

What are the requirements in Brookline? I'm in Milton and only costed me $100 for the application fee and I do have a "sporting" restriction but the issuing officer said I can ask to remove the restriction after a year or so if I did not get into any trouble.

Were you listening to the Dude's story? So you have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who wanders in in the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Were you listening to the Dude's story? So you have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who wanders in in the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Wow a total ******* you are... Yes, I have been reading the whole thread I simply asked what the $350 + gas are for. If you don't want to answer, you can simply walk away.

What are the requirements in Brookline?
1. Police officer

or

2. Incredible need (a diamond merchant who deals in large quantities of raw stones *might* qualify)

or

3. Person of incredible privilege, power and influence.

It's very close to the NYC standard, except it is much less hassle getting a "target only" LTC in Brookline than getting "target only" in NYC. Getting an unrestricted LTC in Brookline or the NYC "full carry" permit are probably tasks of comparable difficulty.

1. Police officer

or

2. Incredible need (a diamond merchant who deals in large quantities of raw stones *might* qualify)

or

3. Person of incredible privilege, power and influence.

It's very close to the NYC standard, except it is much less hassle getting a "target only" LTC in Brookline than getting "target only" in NYC. Getting an unrestricted LTC in Brookline or the NYC "full carry" permit are probably tasks of comparable difficulty.

Thanks, I do get that. What I don't understand is the $350 charge, isn't the application fee is only $100? Does Brookline make him to get a more comprehensive safety training than other town/city in MA?

Last edited:
Thanks, I do get that. What I don't understand is the $350 charge, isn't the application fee is only $100? Does Brookline make him to get a more comprehensive safety training than other town/city in MA?

Please read Post # 48 by the OP.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-target-quot?p=3808801&viewfull=1#post3808801

He lays out what he paid:

- $150 for the class (state law requires a class for first-time MA applicants)
- $100 for range test (Brookline requires Moon Island test but allows MSP certified instructors to give it)
- $100 application fee

Please read Post # 48 by the OP.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-target-quot?p=3808801&viewfull=1#post3808801

He lays out what he paid:

- $150 for the class (state law requires a class for first-time MA applicants)
- $100 for range test (Brookline requires Moon Island test but allows MSP certified instructors to give it)
- $100 application fee

Thanks LenS, I must missed that post I read all 19 pages of this thread. I guess I'm lucky live in Milton, my safety class is $50 and application fee is $100. The fee is nothing compare to what you will be spending after you get your license.

I would call a bad guy who is trying to kill you a "target" so why can't you keep it on you and always have intentions of going to the range? If you don't make it to the range nobody has to know! If you ever have to defend yourself a bogus charge by police sure beats being dead! That's not my advice that's just my gut reaction.

Big brother massachusetts prefers that we either play dead or get dead.
Possoms got it figured out.
You don't need an unrestricted LTC...it's not like there's an amendment clearly defining that issue.

If he paid $100 for a range test he got ripped off (unless other services like a class were provided). My going rate is $0.00 by appointment in Hopkinton, though a generous donation to Comm2A at the time of the test would be appreciated if the applicant is in a position to afford it. Ditto for RI qualifications.

As to the absurdity of being required to "willingly accept" the license - if you are subjected to this sort of abuse, and are interested in being a test case, please contact Comm2a ([email protected]). The "catch" is that doing so will significantly delay when you get your LTC as it would require being rejected for refusing to "willingly accept"; working with the Comm2A attorneys on a legal challenge; filing it; waiting; and waiting some more. If Comm2A accepts your case, all legal fees would be covered for you - but one of our requirements is that plaintiffs need to be in it to improve public policy, not negotiate for a personal deal just for themselves.

(none of this comment is intended as a representation that Comm2A will take any particular case, but rather to explain what sacrifices are involved in offering to be the test case in a LTC issuance dispute).

Last edited:
Two hour town-wide parking limit. Overnight parking is illegal. Leaf blowers are illegal. I got a summons to appear in Brookline court for having a boat on my property. I did not know it was against the law. I asked for and got a continuance which gave me enough time to get it out of town. It's also illegal for me to park a commercial vehicle overnight on private property.

Cant have some redneck messing up their uppity town.

I know this is useless- BUT has the OP considered complaining to the Mayor? Worth a shot. The worst that could happen is a restricted LTC.

If he paid $100 for a range test he got ripped off (unless other services like a class were provided). My going rate is $0.00 by appointment in Hopkinton, though a generous donation to Comm2A at the time of the test would be appreciated if the applicant is in a position to afford it. Ditto for RI qualifications.

As to the absurdity of being required to "willingly accept" the license - if you are subjected to this sort of abuse, and are interested in being a test case, please contact Comm2a ([email protected]). The "catch" is that doing so will significantly delay when you get your LTC as it would require being rejected for refusing to "willingly accept"; working with the Comm2A attorneys on a legal challenge; filing it; waiting; and waiting some more. If Comm2A accepts your case, all legal fees would be covered for you - but one of our requirements is that plaintiffs need to be in it to improve public policy, not negotiate for a personal deal just for themselves.

(none of this comment is intended as a representation that Comm2A will take any particular case, but rather to explain what sacrifices are involved in offering to be the test case in a LTC issuance dispute).

I wish I knew this a few weeks ago. I'd have gladly jumped onboard. I was against my restricted license from the beginning, so I refused to pick it up for 3 years. Finally the pd called and said they would cancel it out if I didn't pick it up...so I caved.

I am in Brookline, I just got confirmation that I would be receiving a LTC-A with a restriction for "target" purposes. Despite showing several receipts that I am forced to handle large sums of money for my small business, I was restricted to just target shooting. My question is, what do you think my chances of appealing this decision are?

My understanding is this restriction limits me to carrying to and from the range, right? No other purpose?

I am really bummed out by this, so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

I deal with large sums of cash also. I wrote a letter to the chief and handed it in when I had my interview. Just got word also but I don't have restrictions. Dan at MFS helped me with the letter, guys at MFS are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom