LTC-A ALP in Malden :)

Hey folks. Just had my license sent to my house in Malden, got it in 3 weeks 2 days during the holiday season no less. I've been going to the range for a long while now, but even so this is my first firearms license (I hear some towns only give LTC-B with hunt/range rest. for first-timers) and Malden came through for me!

When I saw the letter in the box as I went out to shovel, I got on my knees in the stairway to open it, thinking to myself "Class A ALP... class A ALP..." Sure enough it was. As someone who has spent most of their time in NH and gotten used to their fantastic laws, I was extremely happy to see that both the Malden firearms licensee and the Chief aren't applying their own agendas to our rights - so a lot of respect to them.

For now, I plan on shopping around for a .22 pistol. I don't plan on carrying anything for a bit, since I feel I really need to get comfortable with the weapon I choose first. Any suggestions as to defensive courses I should consider?

Happy New Years [wink]

thats great to hear. my friend lives in malden, i will have to tell him about this.
much better then medford.

congrats!

my buddy was thrilled to hear about your success, as he's applying for his LTC-A in Malden as well!

courses? depends on what you want out of the course. Mike Brigg's does a fantastic into to IDPA style class, and a great J-frame class. intro to IDPA will teach you the basics of a fast draw (from concealment), shooting on the move, low light/no light stages, etc. the J-frame class is specifically geared towards the j-frame revolver, carry/concealment techniques, shooting instinctively (lets face it, i LOVE my jframe, but getting a sight picture FAST can be tough...eventually, you just get a feel for where it's gonna shoot). IIRC, Mike demonstrated a draw, from his pocket (hands in pocket, non-threatening pose), and put 2 shots on an IDPA target @ 10feet in just under 2 seconds.

curious...what'd you put as a reason for issuance on your application? (buddy is curious)

curious...what'd you put as a reason for issuance on your application? (buddy is curious)

I'll send you a PM. I'd suggest that when your friend takes the safety course that's required in MA (assuming he hasn't taken it yet) that he asks the instructor for his suggestions. :)

Edit: By the way, anyone know how to add an avatar to my name here? All I get is the option not to show one.

Last edited:
When I saw the letter in the box as I went out to shovel, I got on my knees in the stairway to open it, thinking to myself "Class A ALP... class A ALP..." Sure enough it was. As someone who has spent most of their time in NH and gotten used to their fantastic laws, I was extremely happy [wink]

This sounds like that part in the movie The Christmas Story, when Ralphie he gets his secret Orphan Annie decoder ring.

Good stuff

I'll send you a PM. I'd suggest that when your friend takes the safety course that's required in MA (assuming he hasn't taken it yet) that he asks the instructor for his suggestions. :)
Good suggestion
Edit: By the way, anyone know how to add an avatar to my name here? All I get is the option not to show one.
Go green.

Any suggestions as to defensive courses I should consider?

Happy New Years [wink]

Congrats!

Check out the courses run by the staff of NEShooters at www.neshooters.com They are members here and very good trainers for relatively short money.

Only paid members ($19/yr) get the ability to have avatars.

Congrats!

Check out the courses run by the staff of NEShooters at www.neshooters.com They are members here and very good trainers for relatively short money.

Only paid members ($19/yr) get the ability to have avatars.

Congratulations.

I hope to meet you at the Mystic Valley PPC shoot on 16 Jan.
I grew up in Malden and think it is still as good place to live.

congrats fellow MALDONIAN!! i live in malden also , i got my LTC A ALP several years ago when i turned 21 with no problems!

..is the pic on your license tilted? well mine is and who know how many more are,..the lady that took my pic , took it with the camera sit on the back side of the computer monitor that was slanted backwards!! so in return my pic comes out like im leaning to one side...and i have no idea why they would not level it off..thats how much they care us ..lol

malden

used to be a rifle club in high school.the guns win 52 were kept there.the range was on top floor.8 position.the instructor was teacher of machanical drawing,great guy.cant think of his name right now but I have news paper articiles.MR. CARL TAYLOR. 2nd place in nationals.WILLIAM BARRET
(he was fire superentendent, former armed guard in navy on Murmask runs.)
those were the days.week ends we were flying gas models on former tank training ground in revere marsh.sponsered by The travler and jordan marsh.
see if any one knows what happened to the rifle club. [grin]

used to be a rifle club in high school.the guns win 52 were kept there.the range was on top floor.8 position.the instructor was teacher of machanical drawing,great guy.cant think of his name right now but I have news paper articiles.MR. CARL TAYLOR. 2nd place in nationals.WILLIAM BARRET
those were the days.week ends we were flying gas models on former tank training ground in revere marsh.sponsered by The travler and jordan marsh.

The Malden High Rifle team was disbanded many years ago. I believe they stopped using the range in the top floor of the school a few years prior to that.
By the time my brother-in-law graduated, 1978, the rifle team was using Mystic Valley Gun Club for practice and matches.

I remember the teacher your talking about, had the classroom on the right front corner, 2nd floor, across from Mr Coombs but can't remeber his name either. My youngest brother shot on the team too, he graduated in 1982 IIRC. I joined Mystic Valley in 1984 and remember the Juniors shooting there.

wmccurdy53, any relation to a John McCurdy, probably graduated around 1979?

I remember the teacher your talking about, had the classroom on the right front corner, 2nd floor, across from Mr Coombs but can't remeber his name either. My youngest brother shot on the team too, he graduated in 1982 IIRC. I joined Mystic Valley in 1984 and remember the Juniors shooting there.

wmccurdy53, any relation to a John McCurdy, probably graduated around 1979?

Yup, my brother.

Tell me about it. 1 mile away and it makes me want to move every time I think about it...[angry]

its obviously because people from malden are more responsible then people from medford.

man, i really took the fact that the medford police were willing to prevent me from hurting myself or committing crimes for granted. i dont know what im going to do with myself now that i live in a city were the government doesnt hold my hand so tightly.

S.O.S.

Well, small world. We worked together at Davidson Chevy for a couple of years when we were young and wild. The stories we could tell......

John may not be young any longer but still a little wild. The years do take their toll. I will shooting your upcoming PPC event, we should trade some stories.

Back
Top Bottom