• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC A a no go?

When I was 16 I did a dumb thing. Me and some friends spay painted on a building. Cops came to my house and I went to the station. I was not under arrest. I was questioned and admitted to my wrong doing. Went to court, payed a fine and got a continuation without a following. Will this keep me from getting a LTC?

You will probably be fine. Allot depends on your town (red or green), how long ago that was, and your record since. A CWOF will more than likely be a non-issue.

When I was 16 I did a dumb thing. Me and some friends spay painted on a building. Cops came to my house and I went to the station. I was not under arrest. I was questioned and admitted to my wrong doing. Went to court, payed a fine and got a continuation without a following. Will this keep me from getting a LTC?
That would be a continuation without a finding. You are not statutorily prohibited from getting an LTC. Your police chief could decide that you are unsuitable and choose to not issue you an LTC. I doubt most chiefs would do that. The more time that has elapsed since then, the better.

I suggest that you go to the court where you appeared and get copies of your records so that you know exactly what you were charged with and exactly the disposition of the case.

That would be a continuation without a finding. You are not statutorily prohibited from getting an LTC. Your police chief could decide that you are unsuitable and choose to not issue you an LTC. I doubt most chiefs would do that. The more time that has elapsed since then, the better.

I suggest that you go to the court where you appeared and get copies of your records so that you know exactly what you were charged with and exactly the disposition of the case.

No suggestion to lawyer up?? [smile]

Josh, you're obviously a danger to society and should be kept disarmed. In fact, you should be in stocks in the town square!!

OK, kidding.

But I think it's a f**king disgrace that someone like you, who yes, did something stupid when you were young, is now worried that your G-d-given right might be taken away from you by the officious officials of your own state. Seriously, who didn't do something stupid when they were young??

Good luck, and hope to see you on the firing line sometime.

Thanks for the responses. This all happened 10 years ago now. I live in West Springfield currently for the past few years. My record is clean other than that incident.

I would have to answer yes to question 6 and 7 on the app correct? 7 says youthful offender but 6 does not...

Josh, I know that the Plymouth county court only holds onto records of minor offenses for 10 years. After that, any paperwork went into the shredder. Things may be different now in the computer age, I don't know.

If you go to the court and they say that there is no docket anymore, then you can pretty much tell the chief whatever you want and he can only take your word for it. I have a friend that just got his LTC-A no restrictions and he had a felony (dismised) and a bunch of misdemeanors (CWOF) from when he was a young lad. I'm sure you will get it.

IGWT, Probation has their own copy of court records. "BOP" (Board of Probation) checks by a PD are the real way that the PD finds your records, they don't go to the Clerk's office to get their info.

TTBOMK, court records are never supposed to be destroyed. They may scan them in and then destroy the paper . . . I'm unsure of that, but they shouldn't be destroying records w/o a backup system.

Court records can be destroyed after a certain amount of time in certain states, I'm not sure if they do that in Mass or not.

Court records can be destroyed after a certain amount of time in certain states, I'm not sure if they do that in Mass or not.

Not from what I've seen. I've researched a couple of folks and found records going back almost 50 years!

After all how could they DQ you on something that happened when you were merely weeks old . . . like biting your mother while she's breast-feeding you . . . DV & A&B = a lifetime DQ in MA. <sadly only partially joking here>

In the State of Massachusetts the Court (doesnt matter what county I dont think) is supposed to pull the docket sheet and the rest of the file gets burned.

But due to back log I wouldnt be surprised that the OP's file is still at the courthouse somewhere in a storage room.

In the State of Massachusetts the Court (doesnt matter what county I dont think) is supposed to pull the docket sheet and the rest of the file gets burned.

But due to back log I wouldnt be surprised that the OP's file is still at the courthouse somewhere in a storage room.

I know of no burned or shredded files except those that might be scanned. Except for Suffolk County, all courts are assigned by judiical districts.

Your records are there forever, and ever and ever...don't believe what you are told, and don't believe for a second that a CWOF will not be held against you by someone, somewhere who takes in interest in you (this has been covered many, many times). It's amazing too, how many times arrests are recorded and dispostions are missing, so even if you are acquitted your arrest record remains, and there are those in the criminal justice system who also see an acquittal as "he or she got away with it." Remember, no one is ever judged innocent, merely not guilty which means that the prosecution could not prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Chief Burke in westside is a good guy. You will most likely have an interview with him and he may ask you what happened. Good luck

My juvenile record has more serious charges than that unfortunately. I have a class A unrestricted. I think you will be just fine

It all depends on what a chief or a licensing officer thinks. 351 cities and towns: 351 different gun laws. You have a class A unrestricted...for now, but that could change in the future depending on who is chief and what town you live in.

You do not qualify as a youthful offender, do not fill that out.

Youthful Offender is a specific category in MA that you would not fall into for the crime you have described. And a CWOF is not a conviction. I would suggest you sit with someone knowledgeable in the application process and go through the questions, with a copy of your juvenile record in hand. I can tell you that Vandalism is the most minor of offenses. I believe without having the statute in front of me that it is a year or less of jail time, and that is never given. Feel free to PM me and I can look for the info if you want.

Last edited:
You do not qualify as a youthful offender, do not fill that out.

Youthful Offender is a specific category in MA that you would not fall into for the crime you have described. And a CWOF is not a conviction. I would suggest you sit with someone knowledgeable in the application process and go through the questions, with a copy of your juvenile record in hand. I can tell you that Vandalism is the most minor of offenses. I believe without having the statute in front of me that it is a year or less of jail time, and that is never given. Feel free to PM me and I can look for the info if you want.

......doesnt matter that it "is never given" or not

Back
Top Bottom