• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LR-308 Build Thread

Just a heads up any kac micro rear that is 65 bucks is almost certainly stolen, or aquired gov property.

I only warn you of this as I had a grip pod I bought on ebay repoed by NCIS.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Does anyone have an AR-10 Vice Block or AR-10 / SR-25 Reaction rod that could possibly be lent out?

Thanks to Derek78 for offering a block up. I am going to go with this setup though.

upperclamped.jpg

I found it over on ar-15 here http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=49&t=355495

$5 cutting board (or leftover PVC trim), cut to fit upper on rail side and lower side between the pivot & takedown pin. Lightly press in vice and wrench away.

I'll let you know how my take on it goes. Anyone else use this method before? I've heard of using wood but there are a bunch of pictures of scratched and broken uppers from the wood cracking under pressure.

-Cmaro

I've been reading on line that if you use the upper vice block with the pins it causes an area by the ejection port to crack. I've used the clam based upper vice blocks in the past for my AR15's and they work very well with little to no worry. Doesn't seem to be any LR-308 clams on the market. Out of concern, I was thinking of doing something similar like what is in the picture above.

Fyi, it worked great. I used some left over pvc trim cut down. An extra set of hands would have been helpful getting it into the vice but I did it without the wife apprentice gunsmith. Make sure bcg is out and door is closed.

LYCtmtU.png

Temperature was approx 33 degrees. Low heavy clouds. Light snow. No wind. Probably why point of impact was so far below point of aim. The rifle was zero'ed with this scope months ago.

This was also after the barrel had about 12 rounds put through it (non match, Aguila and Fiocchi, respectively). Rounds were sitting out in the cold as well prior to firing this group.

Here are shots with 150gr Fiocchi (first), then 150gr Aguila then finally the previous post of the 168gr Fiocchi Match. I imagine that the odd one outs are flyers. It was cold :) If you remove the flyers, you're looking at sub-MOA on all the ammo. I'm pleased. This was all prone, from a bipod (stock has a monopod).

F1ZFCNM.png

Last edited:
I hit the range with Gillham over the break and got to test out the new Barrel. I did not pull my targets nor take scientific measurements as I wasn't shooting for accuracy per se. I needed to get my sight on paper and I was shooting target ball Aguilla .308. With that being said, It shot ~2 MOA from bench with no bipod and my heart moving the sight picture a lot. Once I get a bipod and monopod I'll update the report with some match ammo shots. I wasn't wasting them on this trip.

BTW, Gillham shot a quarter sized group using match ammo with the build in his OP + monopod not listed. Nice shooting for 20 degrees temp.

So if you had to do it again would you buy the same barrel? I'm starting my 308 build and am looking at the rainier barrels. They look and seem to preform nice with quality ammo.

Back
Top Bottom