lower recvr and FA-10

Hey, I'm buying an extra stripped lower rcvr from a friend of mine. Do I need to fill out an FA 10 Form for this? I know you usually need an FFL to order one of these pieces so my understanding was yes on the FA-10 but wanted to dbl chk.

Hey, I'm buying an extra stripped lower rcvr from a friend of mine. Do I need to fill out an FA 10 Form for this? I know you usually need an FFL to order one of these pieces so my understanding was yes on the FA-10 but wanted to dbl chk.

filled out and submitted - YES

Absolutely NOT! FA-10 only on transfer of a gun as defined by MGLs (able to be fired). Fed Law defines any frame as a "gun" and requires a background check/4473. MA plays to the tune of a different drummer and has its own definition of "gun".

Transfer MUST be between 2 MA residents or via a MA FFL (if new owner is a MA resident). This part is Fed Law.

Len is correct. The FA-10 only needs to be filled out when the rifle is complete.

Other than that....what I do when I'm selling a lower is just write up a Bill of Sale and make two copies...one for each of you both to sign. That way, if something happens down the line, you have proof of sale.

I've known people that have done a FA-10 only because the rifle was once built and they want to have a chain of custody so they fill one out. But you don't need to do that...

As Len stated above...until it's built into a rifle, no need to send in the FA-10.

Plus, what are you going to out down for finish, barrel length, calliber, etc??

Absolutely NOT! FA-10 only on transfer of a gun as defined by MGLs (able to be fired). Fed Law defines any frame as a "gun" and requires a background check/4473. MA plays to the tune of a different drummer and has its own definition of "gun".

Transfer MUST be between 2 MA residents or via a MA FFL (if new owner is a MA resident). This part is Fed Law.

LenS, What if you have other complete AR's that you could take the upper off of and put it on the lower even though it is not the upper you plan to use for the build?

Still no. Once assembled, then you have to file.

Yes, I realize that once assembled but since you have uppers that could be used at anytime to assemble it could there be potential problems?
This is Ma. we are talking about.

I have a similar issue with a stripped, never before assembled lower I just acquired from a co-worker. At that time he bought it 6 months ago from another co-worker. They filed an FA-10 form as a "personal transfer" even though I told them they didn't have to do that.

Now that it's coming to me should I do another FA-10 (personal transfer) since the damage is already done or will a bill of sale suffice?

Assuming a bill of sale will suffice - once I assemble the rifle and it becomes able to fire what sort of confusion would be generated if at that time I filed a new FA-10 form and checked the registration box?

No confusion. Nobody ever looks at the database. [rofl]

Seriously if a DPMS S/N 12345 is being searched, it might come up with 5 different owners, each description could be different. ARs are frequently re-configured and it won't freak out anyone with 1/2 a clue.

Depending on interest level, they will either visit all in the chain or just the last guy/gal who owned it according to the FA-10.

No idea if anyone actually looks at forms or if they just feed them into the "hopper" on top of a scanner, BUT I am told that if they spot one with "0" inch barrel length, etc. and no caliber they pull it out and destroy it. CHSB has asked dealers NOT to submit FA-10s on frames, but some still persist. Ditto on BB/Pellet guns (I've had it done to me by dealers).

Back
Top Bottom