Lower Parts Kit question

I have an opportunity to purchase a "no-name" LPK online. No manufacturer info other than "Not made in China". The price is under $40. The same vendor has Anderson and CMMG kits for around $70-75. NOT outing the vendor. Is it a good deal, should I buy "name" brand, are those prices good, bad? Etc, Etc...

And NO, I've never built an AR, yes, I may have a pre-Healy 80% lower lying around.

Parts list in the kits:
Bolt catch
Pistol grip screw
Bolt catch plunger
Pivot pin
Bolt catch roll pin
Pivot pin detent
Bolt catch spring
Pivot pin detent spring
Buffer retainer
Selector
Buffer retainer spring
Selector detent
Disconnector
Selector detent spring
Disconnector spring
Takedown pin
Hammer
Takedown pin detent
Hammer pin
Takedown pin detent spring
Hammer spring
Trigger
Magazine catch
Trigger guard
Magazine catch button
Trigger guard roll pin
Magazine catch spring
Trigger pin
A2-style pistol grip
Trigger spring
Pistol grip lock washer

IMO, best route is to purchase the lower kit without trigger group or grip. purchase your trigger and grip separately based on what is desired. it's the most efficient manner to build a keeper.

I would not buy a no-name, made in china kit. Buy from Spikes, Bravo Cmmg, Stag etc. My trigger preference is the Larue MBT 2. Great trigger and relatively inexpensive,

I have an opportunity to purchase a "no-name" LPK online. No manufacturer info other than "Not made in China". The price is under $40. The same vendor has Anderson and CMMG kits for around $70-75. NOT outing the vendor. Is it a good deal, should I buy "name" brand, are those prices good, bad? Etc, Etc...

And NO, I've never built an AR, yes, I may have a pre-Healy 80% lower lying around.

Parts list in the kits:
Bolt catch
Pistol grip screw
Bolt catch plunger
Pivot pin
Bolt catch roll pin
Pivot pin detent
Bolt catch spring
Pivot pin detent spring
Buffer retainer
Selector
Buffer retainer spring
Selector detent
Disconnector
Selector detent spring
Disconnector spring
Takedown pin
Hammer
Takedown pin detent
Hammer pin
Hammer spring
Trigger
Magazine catch
Trigger guard
Magazine catch button
Trigger guard roll pin
Magazine catch spring
Trigger pin
A2-style pistol grip
Trigger spring
Pistol grip lock washer
buy what makes you and you wallet happy....just for warn the cheap kits are often a bit "rough" Im always wary of vendors afraid of telling us the manufacture. Not made in china means nothing plenty of junk made state side.

The wisdom of NES at work:) Didn't think it was a good idea, shows what asking people smarter than me does:) Appreciate the advice, gonna put the hypothetical lowers back in the corner and let them collect dust:)

I’d buy name brand as well. The biggest difference between name brand kits will be trigger so the above suggestion with no trigger group is pretty good.

Parts list in the kits:
Bolt catch
Pistol grip screw
Bolt catch plunger
Pivot pin
Bolt catch roll pin
Pivot pin detent
Bolt catch spring
Pivot pin detent spring
Buffer retainer
Selector
Buffer retainer spring
Selector detent
Disconnector
Selector detent spring
Disconnector spring
Takedown pin
Hammer
Takedown pin detent
Hammer pin
Hammer spring
Trigger
Magazine catch
Trigger guard
Magazine catch button
Trigger guard roll pin
Magazine catch spring
Trigger pin
A2-style pistol grip
Trigger spring
Pistol grip lock washer

I can get you a New Anderson complete LPK for 42.95

Last Black Friday, "Karris Guns" was running super cheap LPKs, I figured for the cheap money, I would try them. All of the detent springs were wrong. They were too stiff that none of them would move. Buy name brand.

Maybe you got a bad one because I have done 4 with the Andersons and all have been ok, it's not a 100 LPK
I guess I shouldn't try to help I guess :(

I understand saving money and I’m all for it on certain things so you don’t offer a bad suggestion. I’m saying for 20-25 more you could get a cmmg kit which has a much smoother pull or just get one with no trigger group and spend another 100 on a drop in that’s pretty nice.

Even brand name is no guarantee.

I have two Stag kits that went into two different brand lowers (Anderson, Del Ton) that have the worst trigger group parts of anything else I've bought, cheaper stuff included. Pins that slide out because the grooves aren't deep enough for the springs to grab them. Warped disconnector that had to be bent back before it would fit in. Both triggers would randomly double or go "binary mode" on me. Swapped out as soon as I realized what was going on, but I ended up spending more than I should have.

The WMD NIB kits are good. Spike's NIB kits are good. Even bare-bones but dimensionally correct kits are fine, especially if you throw an ALG trigger in it or something.

For what it's worth I've bought Bravo Company and Palmetto State kits...

I'd be questioning of a cheap kit..

Palmetto State had a bad Safety & detent - which they did replace for free on a $100 kit (ALG trigger included).

Bravo Company has worked well from day 1.

IMO, best route is to purchase the lower kit without trigger group or grip. purchase your trigger and grip separately based on what is desired. it's the most efficient manner to build a keeper.

This is a good idea, or watch for a deal on Spikes LPK's. I've built several and thought the Spikes LPK was the best value in terms of quality for the price.

You'll just end up upgrading all the cheap stuff within a year anyways. $800 AR is now $1800 yikes!
"Did I really just buy a $250 trigger?? Yes. Yes you did"

With the Spikes trigger and a JP reduced spring, you can make a pretty nice trigger with the '15 minute' trigger job or whatever it's called. Suitable for anything except perhaps highpower competition.

Back
Top Bottom