• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lower Build Tips/Lessons Learned

EMTDAD

NES Member
Finally got all my parts for my first lower build.. not using anything fancy or pricey just in case I royally screw something up for my first build..

Stripped receiver✅
Lower parts kit w/trigger group ✅
Buffer tube assembly ✅
pistol grip✅
stock ✅

I know I need to either pin the stock, or use one of those stock-stop thingies, eventually..

Anything, other than what's shown in this tutorial, that I should be aware of.. Any tips, things learned the hard way, mistakes to avoid??
Anything in the tutorial that may be incorrect, misleading, or there might be a better/easier way??

Only tool I don't have yet is the Armorers wrench..

Last edited:
Just take your time. Make sure you use Aeroshell properly and the locktite.
And know ahead of time the Bolt catch will suck to install. Use painters tape to protect the lower from scratching when you install that.
and good luck!

Do not use pliers to install the bolt catch roll pin, JFC. Just get the right size punch and it sounds like you already have it, Use one of your smaller punches as a slave pin to hold the assembly together while you drive the pin in. Same thing with the Trigger and hammer assemblies, slave pins.

What I have noticed is that most people bang up the lower driving this pin in is because they miss the punch and whack the lower with the hammer.

Last edited:
Special tools/fixtures are not needed, but do make life easier. If any $ in the budget, buy some nice punches. A nice bench block is convenient as well.

The bolt catch and front pivot pin installs are the pain points, but not difficult. The razor blade trick works well for the front pin. Don't use pliers to start the bolt catch pin, tape everything up and use the right punches. Also, you can chuck the rollpin into a drill and chamfer/taper one end to make it start easier.

get the roll pin punches & holders, a torque wrench

The Rock River "Oh Shoot kit" contains all the parts that you'll launch across the floor & never find

It's worth getting the AR tools, cuz you won't scratch things up & you'll have so much fun & satisfaction, that you'll keep on building them ;)

The Rock River "Oh Shoot kit" contains all the parts that you'll launch across the floor & never find

It's worth getting the AR tools, cuz you won't scratch things up & you'll have so much fun & satisfaction, that you'll keep on building them ;)
They are fun to build- it is really addictive

You really dont need “special “ tools.
Even with the collection of tools and my improvising of “special” tools through out my auto repair life
The tools are worth the value of less frustration , struggle and gets you to the end quicker.
The first 4 I assembled I did with out buying anything except the barrel nut tool. I now have just about every special assembly tool . I have not built a lower in some time though.
You can make the take down tool out of a dowel or clevis pin.
Plus you can help others out with your tools

Finally got all my parts for my first lower build.. not using anything fancy or pricey just in case I royally screw something up for my first build..

Stripped receiver✅
Lower parts kit w/trigger group ✅
Buffer tube assembly ✅
pistol grip✅
stock ✅

I know I need to either pin the stock, or use one of those stock-stop thingies, eventually..

Anything, other than what's shown in this tutorial, that I should be aware of.. Any tips, things learned the hard way, mistakes to avoid??
Anything in the tutorial that may be incorrect, misleading, or there might be a better/easier way??

Only tool I don't have yet is the Armorers wrench..
it takes some practice but is very simple.
i like this detent pin tool:
when you will be doing it - make sure to have other hand covering the spring and detent as you will try to push the pin - as without practice you may have a gap between tool and pin and the spring/pin will fly into the orbit to never be found. you need to keep a finger at the end of the tool to keep pressure there as you will be pushing pin in - to make sure the transition will not have a gap. extra pin kits are a good idea to have anyway, but the time you`ll get to your 3rd lower i bet you will have them. :)

no other tool is really needed for lower assembly.

i also like better videos at the midway for this thing - they are old, but good.
then click at 'The AR-15 Rifle -- Upper & Lower Assembly + Accessory Tips'

Last edited:
thinking of picking this up for free with points and discount.. $212.. .any thoughts on it.. seems to get good reviews..

Also, looking at complete uppers online, most all have flash hiders.. I have to remove this or replace with muzzle brake, correct?
dunno about that kit, seems a lot of $$$. but may be fine.
you will need for the upper a good cradle to have it in the vise and the barrel adapter to torque the nut. something like that:
1640387863520.png
browse up here:

Just for a lower you will already have everything you truly need. I like the punches but never tried the c clamp trick. I also use an Allen wrench about the size of the front takedown pin and install it that way but the razor blade might work better. Who knows

it takes some practice but is very simple.
i like this detent pin tool:
when you will be doing it - make sure to have other hand covering the spring and detent as you will try to push the pin - as without practice you may have a gap between tool and pin and the spring/pin will fly into the orbit to never be found. you need to keep a finger at the end of the tool to keep pressure there as you will be pushing pin in - to make sure the transition will not have a gap. extra pin kits are a good idea to have anyway, but the time you`ll get to your 3rd lower i bet you will have them. :)

no other tool is really needed for lower assembly.

i also like better videos at the midway for this thing - they are old, but good.
then click at 'The AR-15 Rifle -- Upper & Lower Assembly + Accessory Tips'
I had about 10 different sizes of clevis pins but be damned if I had one to fit. I needed some oderless mineral spirits so picked up one for $1:10 at the hardware store

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn9NWHQsPjc

dunno about that kit, seems a lot of $$$. but may be fine.
you will need for the upper a good cradle to have it in the vise and the barrel adapter to torque the nut. something like that:

I thought it was a lot too, until I started pricing some of the stuff individually.. Vice blocks at $35 each, bench block at another $35. Punches, hammer, armorers wrench.. plus the pivot pin tool, and special punches for the bolt catch... easily exceeds $200.. With Xmas Gift cards, discount, and points, plus 6% cash back on Retailmenot.com, I've got it completely covered.

Last edited:
Special tools/fixtures are not needed, but do make life easier. If any $ in the budget, buy some nice punches. A nice bench block is convenient as well.
I use a hockey puck with holes drilled in it. Throw it in the freezer before you drill it will make it easier :)

10’s of thousands of dollars worth of guns, and I’m too cheap to buy a piece of rubber block with holes/slots drilled in it.

OP, if you want to use my armorers wrench, just PM me your address and I’ll ship it to you if you pay the freight. Then just ship it back when you’re done.

I use a hockey puck with holes drilled in it. Throw it in the freezer before you drill it will make it easier :)

10’s of thousands of dollars worth of guns, and I’m too cheap to buy a piece of rubber block with holes/slots drilled in it.

OP, if you want to use my armorers wrench, just PM me your address and I’ll ship it to you if you pay the freight. Then just ship it back when you’re done.
I might be cheaper than you.. I took a scrap piece of 3/4" mdf and made my own..

Back
Top Bottom