Lowell Unrestricted LTC Class

The drivers ed encouragement when I was in high school was that you could get your full license (valid in evening hours as well as day) at 17 if you had driver ed from a public high school but had to wait until 18 if you did not. They effectively prevented driving schools from becoming a thriving industry. It's the one class that actually got kids to sign up for summer school (although when I did it, schools had not yet invented the concept of fees for any service not required by law). The public school programs were even allowed to let kids drive with an instructor without a learner's permit.
Was this in NY?

Longtime Lowellian and new member here. I Joined this forum after I came across it while researching as I live in Lowell and wanted my unrestricted LTC but had heard the stories of how difficult it is. I think the tide may be turning a bit. I received my unrestricted LTC 6 weeks from the when I submitted my paperwork / interviewed. I don't have any unusual influence or "friends" in the PD, nor would I consider my "need" anything extraordinary. I don't have a criminal record. I took the OnTarget course in Dracut and completed the required documentation.

Longtime Lowellian and new member here. I Joined this forum after I came across it while researching as I live in Lowell and wanted my unrestricted LTC but had heard the stories of how difficult it is. I think the tide may be turning a bit. I received my unrestricted LTC 6 weeks from the when I submitted my paperwork / interviewed. I don't have any unusual influence or "friends" in the PD, nor would I consider my "need" anything extraordinary. I don't have a criminal record. I took the OnTarget course in Dracut and completed the required documentation.
They were sued several years back. Their reputation for being overly difficult appears to just be remnants from before the suit.

A couple of years ago it was just about half of applicants got unrestricted licenses, but, provided that you take the extra course and write a written supplement and all that, they will issue an unrestricted LTC.

They were sued several years back. Their reputation for being overly difficult appears to just be remnants from before the suit.

A couple of years ago it was just about half of applicants got unrestricted licenses, but, provided that you take the extra course and write a written supplement and all that comply with their unlawful requirements, they will issue an unrestricted LTC.
FIFY

I get why people do it, it's far easier, but submitting to it truly does encourage more of it.

That's good to hear. I just moved to Lowell after living in Lawrence for the last 20~ years. I'm going for my Basic Safety Course at the Weston Shooting Club this Friday.

Anything different going on with the process since COVID hit?

That's good to hear. I just moved to Lowell after living in Lawrence for the last 20~ years. I'm going for my Basic Safety Course at the Weston Shooting Club this Friday.

Anything different going on with the process since COVID hit?
Basic at Weston won't be sufficient for an Unrestricted LTC unless it's on the approved course list. The Weston concealed carry course is on the list, but first you must complete the basic course.

The only one and done option for an Unrestricted LTC in Lowell is the Safe Carry Course at On Target in Dracut. That's pretty much what this whole thread was about.

There are plenty of reports of people being issued restricted licenses unless they take the On Target class.

This ^^^. OnTarget incorporates a live fire component into their basic / safe carry (combined) course, which Lowell specifically requires. You might want to call Weston to inquire about their course. I will say, the OnTarget instructor referenced a couple of other classes that are having success as far as students getting unrestricted licenses in Lowell but I can't recall the names.

As far as the process. Make sure you have all your documents on the list and call the firearms office beforehand to make sure they are open. I believe they are open only on certain days. The LPD general number will give you the number to the firearms office. If noone answers, the message will tell you the next date they are open, IIRC. Go early. No appointments. First come first serve. I got there 15 mins early and a line quickly formed behind me. The three people in line directly behind me had already been there and needed to come back because of incorrect documentation or because they showed when the office was closed or something.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
This ^^^. OnTarget incorporates a live fire component into their basic / safe carry (combined) course, which Lowell specifically requires. You might want to call Weston to inquire about their course. I will say, the OnTarget instructor referenced a couple of other classes that are having success as far as students getting unrestricted licenses in Lowell but I can't recall the names.

As far as the process. Make sure you have all your documents on the list and call the firearms office beforehand to make sure they are open. I believe they are open only on certain days. The LPD general number will give you the number to the firearms office. If noone answers, the message will tell you the next date they are open, IIRC. Go early. No appointments. First come first serve. I got there 15 mins early and a line quickly formed behind me. The three people in line directly behind me had already been there and needed to come back because of incorrect documentation or because they showed when the office was closed or something.

Good Luck!
It's all spelled out on the LPD website. It isnt just the live fire requirement. That is one aspect, but On Target has incorporated "other" aspects.

For example, I took an assortment of other classes that SHOULD have been enough, but they weren't.

Mass Firearms School has a class that is identical to On Target's, down to the live fire session at the end, but I still had to re-take the On Target.

I had no fewer than 4 live fire certificates and various safety courses, concealed carry courses, etc. It didn't matter. I had to retake the On Target one.

NRA certifications last a lifetime for students. On Target's last one year (that was my issue.) They have combined the Nra portion with other elements, (which, per Nra instructors on here you're not supposed to do.)

The only class that is a one stop class is On Target. You can take a basic safety class AND one of the others on the approved list, but per their written policy, if you only want to take one class, it has to be at On Target.

All the other classes on the approved list require completion of a Basic Firearms Safety Course prior to enrollment, which means two classes and the live fire portion must be at a specific place that's pre-approved.

The Weston Concealed Carry Course is on the list so if he wants to stay there he can take that after the Basic Safety Course and *should* be fine.

You took the on target class and applied right out of the gate so you were golden. This whole thread turned into a discussion about it.

It's all spelled out on the LPD website. It isnt just the live fire requirement. That is one aspect, but On Target has incorporated "other" aspects.

For example, I took an assortment of other classes that SHOULD have been enough, but they weren't.

Mass Firearms School has a class that is identical to On Target's, down to the live fire session at the end, but I still had to re-take the On Target.

I had no fewer than 4 live fire certificates and various safety courses, concealed carry courses, etc. It didn't matter. I had to retake the On Target one.

NRA certifications last a lifetime for students. On Target's last one year (that was my issue.) They have combined the Nra portion with other elements, (which, per Nra instructors on here you're not supposed to do.)

The only class that is a one stop class is On Target. You can take a basic safety class AND one of the others on the approved list, but per their written policy, if you only want to take one class, it has to be at On Target.

All the other classes on the approved list require completion of a Basic Firearms Safety Course prior to enrollment, which means two classes and the live fire portion must be at a specific place that's pre-approved.

The Weston Concealed Carry Course is on the list so if he wants to stay there he can take that after the Basic Safety Course and *should* be fine.

You took the on target class and applied right out of the gate so you were golden. This whole thread turned into a discussion about it.
Because it's not about the class. It's about sending business to someone's friend.

Oh, and forcing unlawful requirements on the lower class. It's a win win.

Took the class there last year, it was a very good class and I had no problems in getting my LTC. I also became a member of On Target in Dracut . The staff is the best, no a**h***s.
Any restrictions?

The licensing officer in the town I used to live in moved to Lowell and the chief wouldn't give her an unrestricted LTC (roughly 3yrs ago) [laugh]

I feel bad, because the licensing person is super nice. But I also find it funny.

Would be nice if someone told a reporter.
Wrong approach. I'm speculating, no evidence or proof and don't live near there. But it is very suspicious.

If anyone has any proof, the proper approach is to document it and file it as a complaint to the Mass. Ethics Commission for investigation.

My guess is that OnTarget jumpted through the correct hoops to get on that list. I'm pretty sure that GOAL does not pay a royalty for people who qualify for unrestricted LTC with its "Art of concealed carry" that is also on the approved list.

Any restrictions?

The licensing officer in the town I used to live in moved to Lowell and the chief wouldn't give her an unrestricted LTC (roughly 3yrs ago) [laugh]

I feel bad, because the licensing person is super nice. But I also find it funny.
I have no restrictions on mine and it didn't take long to get considering. Let me say On Target is top notch with a good staff. I've never had a problem with them and always been treat with the upmost courtesy.

+1 on the OnTarget staff. I didn't just take my course there, I go shooting there regularly and they are polite, professional, and informative.

Wrong approach. I'm speculating, no evidence or proof and don't live near there. But it is very suspicious.

If anyone has any proof, the proper approach is to document it and file it as a complaint to the Mass. Ethics Commission for investigation.
I would prefer someome investigate it and make it public. Blow it up. Not some commission that will probably do nothing. I have very little confidence on any commissions in MA.

My guess is that OnTarget jumpted through the correct hoops to get on that list. I'm pretty sure that GOAL does not pay a royalty for people who qualify for unrestricted LTC with its "Art of concealed carry" that is also on the approved list.
I took that GOAL class back when Jon Green and Darius Arbabi were teaching it. IIRC we didn't get certificates. So my guess is that Jon is now issuing certs so people can use it for Lowell.

Lots of posts here and FB mention ONLY On Target like it is the only place you can go and get Lowell's blessing. That is what makes me suspicious.

Has anyone with an unrestricted LTC gone thru the process in the past few months In Lowell? Are they requiring folks to produce ALL the extra documents they had to initially provide when getting unrestricted, or is it just as simple as going in, talking with the LO, going over the application, and maybe be reprinted?

Back
Top Bottom