• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lowell police seeking help with rape investigation

kingfisher

NES Member
Some people here say it's not smart to try to stop a crime in progress in MA (self-helped being discouraged). What if you were the guy in this story who interrupted a rape?

If a woman is screaming for help while she's actually being raped, it's easier to tell who the bad actor is (unlike in many DV situations), and while I applaud this guy for doing something to stop it, the perp got away to play another day.

LOWELL — Police are hoping to speak to anyone who was in the area of Middlesex Street and the Lord Overpass early Sunday morning as they investigate the brutal sexual assault of an 18-year-old woman who was attacked as she walked in the area.

Police said the woman was attacked from behind as she walked along Middlesex Street toward Branch Street shortly before 3:50 a.m.

“The male suspect continually assaulted the victim and dragged her down an alleyway, knocking her to the ground at the rear of a building where the attack continued,” Capt. Timothy Crowley wrote in a press release. “After several minutes, and as the victim was screaming for help, a courageous citizen ran down the street and interrupted the attack, confronting the subject.”

Police said that interruption allowed the victim to escape and run to the Branch Street fire station where she sought help from firefighters who immediately called police.

The suspect is described as a white male in his 20s with a medium build and short, light-colored hair. He wore a red T-shirt.

Police said the suspect was last seen running on Nichols Street toward Westford Street....

Full story here: police-seeking-help-with-rape-investigation

Looks like they got the shitbag:

UPDATE: Police arrested Kevin Suarez, 31, of Methuen, for this assault earlier today. Capt. Timothy Crowley tells me Suarez appeared at the police station asking about the Crimestoppers reward for information leading to arrests after reading about it in The Sun.
But I didn’t know last night that police had surveillance video of at least part of the attack. Crowley said that as investigators began to speak to Suarez, they realized he bore a strong resemblance to the attacker in the video.
After investigating further, police arrested Suarez and charged him with assault with intent to rape, kidnapping, and indecent assault and battery on a person over 14, according to police.
Suarez was arraigned today in Lowell District Court, where Judge Barbara Pearson ordered him held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing on August 31.
- See more at: http://blogs.lowellsun.com/policeli...with-rape-investigation/#sthash.7DXtIdvZ.dpuf

Wait, the guy who did it came in looking for a reward for information on who did it? Either he belongs on the list of the worlds dumbest criminals or something stinks.

Wait, the guy who did it came in looking for a reward for information on who did it? Either he belongs on the list of the worlds dumbest criminals or something stinks.

yeah very weird....I have zero room or tolerance in my life reading about people who rape....they should be castrated in the town square and then fed their own genitals before being beheaded.....just my two cents

"what better way to throw them off my trail than to say I may know who did it, genius.... oh wait I'm arrested, oops"

Its lowell.

The detective in charge will probably say something along the lines of Ted, "Walking into the PD and trying to find out about the reward on yourself for a violent felony took guts. We need guts. You're hired"

“The male suspect continually assaulted the victim and dragged her down an alleyway, knocking her to the ground at the rear of a building where the attack continued,” Capt. Timothy Crowley wrote in a press release. “After several minutes, and as the victim was screaming for help, a courageous citizen ran down the street and interrupted the attack, confronting the subject.”

Doesn't the above quote direct from Capt. Crowley's mouth directly contradict LO Witts statements that police can be anywhere in the city for a call within 2 to 3 minutes which is her and Chief Taylor's justification for restricting a person's LTC? Clearly, we now have 2 separate incidents within 2 months where this 2 to 3 minute response time was inadequate to prevent excessive physical and emotional trauma from being inflicted on a person. In incident 1, we have a man and his wife brutally assaulted less than a mile from police HQ, resulting in the husband suffering severe head trauma and the wife requiring surgery for facial injuries. In the second incident, a young woman was brutally sexually assaulted for multiple minutes while screaming for help.

In neither case did PD respond quick enough to prevent the assaults. However, had the victims been able to hold an unrestricted LTC in Lowell, they could have had the legal option of carrying the firearm and defending themselves, perhaps preventing or at least greatly minimizing the harm. Mind you, I have no idea if any of the victims here actually ever requested an unrestricted LTC or were issued only a restricted LTC, but I think these incidents can be used to seriously undermine LO Witts' and CoP Taylor's reasons against unrestricted LTCs.

Looks like they got the shitbag:

Mugshot.jpg

[rofl]

Doesn't the above quote direct from Capt. Crowley's mouth directly contradict LO Witts statements that police can be anywhere in the city for a call within 2 to 3 minutes which is her and Chief Taylor's justification for restricting a person's LTC? Clearly, we now have 2 separate incidents within 2 months where this 2 to 3 minute response time was inadequate to prevent excessive physical and emotional trauma from being inflicted on a person.

A police spokesman on TV said the sexual assault happened at 1:30am, not 3:50am as reported in the blog post I quoted. Lowell bars still close at 1:30, I believe, so I'm sure there are many officers on duty at that time.

In incident 1, we have a man and his wife brutally assaulted less than a mile from police HQ, resulting in the husband suffering severe head trauma and the wife requiring surgery for facial injuries. In the second incident, a young woman was brutally sexually assaulted for multiple minutes while screaming for help.

Actually, the first incident happened only about one block from police HQ. The sexual assault happened pretty much right across the street from a police substation, but I don't know if it's manned 24/7.

Even if the LPD can respond within 2-3 minutes, they need to be called first, and by then the assault is likely already over.

No matter what the times, this is clear evidence that LPD's response times are insufficient to prevent physical harm to folks and that by denying folks an unrestricted LTC, they are setting up their residents to potentially BE assaulted and injured by denying them their constitutionally guaranteed right to bear arms that can be used for self-defense. The logic they are trying to use is seriously flawed, but we all know that has never stopped a MA LEO, court justice, or politician from using said flawed logic if it furthers their own wants, desires, views, and agendas,

A police spokesman on TV said the sexual assault happened at 1:30am, not 3:50am as reported in the blog post I quoted. Lowell bars still close at 1:30, I believe, so I'm sure there are many officers on duty at that time.

Actually, the first incident happened only about one block from police HQ. The sexual assault happened pretty much right across the street from a police substation, but I don't know if it's manned 24/7.

Even if the LPD can respond within 2-3 minutes, they need to be called first, and by then the assault is likely already over.

No matter what the times, this is clear evidence that LPD's response times are insufficient to prevent physical harm to folks and that by denying folks an unrestricted LTC, they are setting up their residents to potentially BE assaulted and injured by denying them their constitutionally guaranteed right to bear arms that can be used for self-defense. The logic they are trying to use is seriously flawed, but we all know that has never stopped a MA LEO, court justice, or politician from using said flawed logic if it furthers their own wants, desires, views, and agendas,
I'm not going to disagree with your view, but I will disagree with your "evidence"

it has nothing to do with response times because no one was called so the response time argument is irrelevant.

all of that meanwhile is irrelevant in allowing someone to protect themselves

I'm not going to disagree with your view, but I will disagree with your "evidence"

it has nothing to do with response times because no one was called so the response time argument is irrelevant.

all of that meanwhile is irrelevant in allowing someone to protect themselves

Very fair points.

Surprised no one has jumped on the blame the victim train that is commonly found when guns are stolen, I mean she was walking alone at 1:30/3:50am she was just asking for it [rolleyes]

You ask the state for the right to defend yourself and are told "too bad"? Charge the CoP and the legislators with accessory. I'm sure a few will go thru.

But personally, an attack against a person in this state is not my problem. This is a direct result of the state charging the good guys with crimes while the bad guys get a version of immunity. It created a direct path to super-apathy mindsets.

Last edited:
So sorry for the young lady no matter what the circumstances were. Hope they get the guy.

So sorry for the young lady no matter what the circumstances were. Hope they get the guy.

In the end you are 100% correct.

Chitbags will always be the same. Real men don't beat or abuse any woman for any reason.

She may have made bad choices but we all know the media is not trust worthy at reporting accurate facts nor are they held accountable.

Has anyone checked on the where abouts of all the cops when this happen?

One may have been in the alley wearing a red shirt when it happened.

I see what you did there. [laugh] Your reference is to the LPD officer who was convicted of raping prostitutes in his cruiser while on duty, right?

I actually think this happened a stones throw from the police station

From post #17: "The sexual assault happened pretty much right across the street from a police substation, but I don't know if it's manned 24/7."

It happened in one of the alleys near Pailin Plaza, but last I knew they were keeping the exact location of the sexual assault a secret.

They did get him. See post #2.

Surprised no one has jumped on the blame the victim train that is commonly found when guns are stolen, I mean she was walking alone at 1:30/3:50am she was just asking for it [rolleyes]

Well, I'm a bit late but I'll take that angle, thank you for the setup.

Yes, walking around at 3am in LOWELL!! is risky.

The one thing this whole "progress" and "change" is trying to convince people is - that the world around us is a safe place and we should always act like it is. This is unicorn crap, and will never ever be true.

You can't tell me that if you walk outside, even your own home, to the back yard at 3pm or 3am, your brain does not work the same. You know you feel differently and act different, why is that ?

Well, 1000's of years of your primal experience crammed into your genes telling that night time is risky time.

If you walk outside at 3am, alone, unprotected and get jumped - well, for the animal to prey there's must be game stupid enough, that's the basic rule.

If the liberal experience can be summed into one sentence, it would be:
"Trying to change the rules of nature, and when not possible, ignoring them regardless of the outcome".

But, for whatever it's worth, I can't say I really blame her, I do blame the culture around and Feel bad for her - that's for sure.

Last edited:
In incident 1, we have a man and his wife brutally assaulted less than a mile from police HQ, resulting in the

If this attack happened where I think it did (I could have my bars confused) if it's more than 120 yards from the police station I'll eat my hat.

Last summer, around this time a kid was gunned down in the middle of the street in front of the damn station. I drove home from work past the crime scene.

Back
Top Bottom