• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lowell LTC-A renewal

Has anyone applied for a renewal in Lowell recently? My appointment is next week, and I'm wondering what I can expect from the girl who's running it now. Any hope at all of losing the hunting/target restriction after 4 squeaky clean years? Would my age (60), somewhat limited physical abilities, living in Centralville, etc., get me any sympathy?
This is my first renewal. On my original application I had to clear up an "unregistered-uninsured" charge from 1963 (yes, 44 years ago! Who knew you had to be 21 to drive on a bill of sale?), and a false "threatening" charge from 1991.
The licensing detective at the time was very accomodating, and didn't disqualify me outright, just asked me to get a copy of the court docket showing disposition of the "threatening" charge. Apparently there was some record-keeping confusion in the court around that time, and it didn't show up.
Any thoughts at all?

Lowell tends to be tough on CCW/LTC "A" so good luck I think you may need it. Let me know how you make out. Maybe things have changed since Sup. Davis left for Boston but I do not think so.

Had my interview Wednesday. The woman was very pleasant and helpful. But, after all the form's questions were answered, I asked what the chance of actually getting ALP was. She just grinned and said "None".
I said that I had been hoping the acting Chief would be more flexible than Chief Davis was. Her reply was, (almost verbatem), "They discussed this whole thing before Davis left. They don't want everybody running around the city with guns."
Sooo many retorts ran through my head, my tongue is still sore from biting it.
I doubt if I'll appeal not getting ALP, but I will appeal if I'm denied outright. I wrote down the "running around the city" part as soon as I left.
I have to call her if I don't hear in 8 weeks.

I agree; I don't want everybody running around the city with guns, either. Unfortunately, the people I don't want running around with guns don't bother applying for license in the first place, probably because most of them are disqualified by statute.

Ken

I doubt if I'll appeal not getting ALP, but I will appeal if I'm denied outright. I wrote down the "running around the city" part as soon as I left.

If I were you I'd consider the appeal. Lowell had a big hoopla about this policy years ago (2?) and they promised to revisit it, clearly they haven't. A strict policy on penalizing lawful gun owners seems arbitrary when Lowell's gangbangers can carry whatever wherever whenever. If you have an unrestricted license now, they need to show good reason as to why that isn't good enough anymore.

Have you considered moving? While somewhat joking, I honestly think you have a choice to make - own guns or live in Lowell - Is that really a choice?

holy thread from the dead, but if they give you a LTC A restricted, there is no avenue of legal appeal I know of.

Same as the people that Medford " B Rammed" for all those years, there was no recourse.

holy thread from the dead, but if they give you a LTC A restricted, there is no avenue of legal appeal I know of.

Same as the people that Medford " B Rammed" for all those years, there was no recourse.

Medford still rams, just with T&H instead of class B.

My understanding is that there is in fact a legal appeal for restrictions, but that it is rarely, if ever, fruitful.

Back
Top Bottom